A white Burgundy tasting note

2004 Antoine et François Jobard. Meursault Genevrières
Gold straw color. Very floral nose but also matchstick and vanilla, and a hint of citrus. The combination is intoxicating. Palate is mineral, shell and Meyer lemon with some sulfer too. The body is medium light. This begs for seafood or fish. Fantastic showing. Pairing with a take on sole meunière. Excellent. (93 points)

These wines can be great when they come around, but often need a lot of time to “eat” the oak. Seems like you waited long enough; nice note!

lovely.

I find this surprising, as Jobard generally only uses about 20% new oak, and there are a lot of older barrels in the cellar. I’m someone who doesn’t like a lot of new oak, and Jobards have never been an issue at all. They can be very reduced when young, but I’ve never had one (and I’ve probably tasted over 75 different wines) that’s been too oaky.

Well, I don’t claim to be an expert on Antoine Jobard, Marshall,
But the botting I have in mind is the Meursault 1er Cru Les Charmes, in particular the '08, which I loved when I drank around 2016, but thought even then some oak was discernible. Note on the '04, not mine, in cellartracker also mentions oak: https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=752251
Perhaps he uses more on his bigger bottles? Not uncommon, though some recent bourgognes (2014) read oaky to me, so maybe there is something else going on? I’d love to hear from others, who may know more.

I have been drinking these wine for many years (I am 81). I have never had an over oaked bottle. I am someone who dislikes oak flavors in wine.

My luck with Jobard, both father and son, has been topsy-turvy. Some premox, some 10-12 year bottles simply muted, some delicious village and Bourgogne wines, and then some Cru wine brilliant experiences like this.

This, except closer to 40ish wines for me over the years.

Rereading my original post, that may have sounded like bragging. It wasn’t meant that way at all, just for comparisons sake. I was lucky enough to go on the Kermit Lynch buying trip 4-5 times, and the visits to Jobard were some of the best of the trip, and they always included the full lineup of current wines, plus a few cellar treats. So between that and personal bottles, I’ve been fortunate to try a lot of Jobard. And I’ve never found one, even when young, that seemed really woody.