TN: 2001 Müller-Catoir Haardter Bürgergarten Riesling Spätlese

• 2001 Müller-Catoir Haardter Bürgergarten Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Pfalz (4/26/2020)
    This time when I went to the wine cellar, I wore my glasses, and so selected the intended wine. The 2001 Burgergarten Riesling Spatlese comes from the swan song vintage for the legendary HGS at Catoir. Time tends to create a different view of these wines, imbuing them with an unnatural, nearly magical level of power. Perhaps that’s due to the Rieslaner and Scheurebe, which often have more richness and, especially for the Rieslaner, weight.

That is not to say that this is a light wine. It has depth and exceptional length. But that is not what is so amazing about it. The defining characteristic of this wine is elegance. It carries its thousand flavors on the wings of angels. It’s important words delivered in a calm, melodious voice.

Posted from CellarTracker

Damn, that’s a heck of a note. And now I want to open my last bottle. Soon.
Nice job.

Wonderful note that leaves me pining for the fjords, er, the old Müller-Catoirs.

CellarTracker just made me very happy. It says I have one bottle… Now finding it is another story. Thanks for the note.

The three bottles of this I purchased for $45/per may have been my favorite purchase of 2019. The one I’ve opened was excellent. Your note captures it perfectly.

Resist. Hold out a couple more years.

My sense is that this wine is on a long plateau. It has reached a “distinguished gentleman” phase where it can hang for decades without decline. Think liquid Sean Connery.