Question for Donnhoff Historians

Paging Gabe.

I am trying to determine with Donnhoff for their Felsenberg bottlings (in particular the Spatlese) was there any vintage during which the “regular” Felsenberg was produced as well as the “Felsenturmchen” bottling? Using what I have on hand and the internet I am unable to find a vintage where both were produced.

Going back to 2005…

2005 - Felsenberg [normal script older Donnhoff label]
2006 - Felsenturmchen
2007 - Felsenturmchen
2011 - Felsenberg with prominent tower graphic also on label
2011 - Felsenberg with tower graphic also on label but small on bottom right

I can pull other vintages to investigate between 2007 and 2015 but don’t think that is necessary. My guess is that starting in 2006 Donnhoff wanted to play up the steep slopes around the tower and thus added the “Felsenturmchen” bit. This led to market confusion. They wanted to keep Felsenturmchen but avoid the confusion. So, they went back to printing Felsenberg on the label with the tower graphic again more prominent center label. In their own marketing materials they mention both names: https://www.doennhoff.com/assets/downloads/expertisen/en/felsenberg-felsentuermchen-riesling-2010-englisch.pdf

What I think solidifies my guess what be the absence of any vintage where both a “regular” Felsenberg was produced as well as the “Felsenturmchen.” Thoughts?

I have the price list of 2010 - will send a pm.

Maybe of interest 4 u.

Cheers

Some people in the Terry Theise thread have back copies of his catalogs. Those would likely answer the question.

I believe the Felsenturmchen label was introduced in 2006, just as your list says. I was there in spring of 2007, and tasted all the 2006s, I remember Helmut talking about that change, and the “little tower”.

The catalog for 2006 wines doesn’t mention it (except obliquely under the Auslese), but 2007 does.