Preferred Burgundy Glass

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 855
Joined: April 24th, 2020, 11:41 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Preferred Burgundy Glass

#1 Post by Andrew K. » April 28th, 2020, 5:40 pm

I did some searches and didn't see much on this particular topic, but forgive me if it's been discussed ad nauseum.

I currently have a couple of stems of Riedel Sommelier Burgundy Grand Cru that I use regularly for myself. But I've noticed that some of the preferred stems around here such as Grassl have a very different look to their Burgundy glass.

Namely, the round shape and wider opening curved out on Riedel.
41eMgbPdl5L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
And the flat bottom and narrower straight opening on the Grassl Cru. Also the Grassl is a bit shorter.
photo-cru.png
I drink a lot of Burgundy and Pinot in general, so just wondering if I'm missing out on something with the Riedel version vs the narrower opening.
к𝓁ย𝐠

User avatar
GregT
Posts: 8831
Joined: April 15th, 2009, 3:12 pm

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#2 Post by GregT » April 28th, 2020, 8:33 pm

Welcome Andrew.

It has been discussed ad nauseum.

You're not missing out on anything if you like the glass. There are partisans for every one.

And some folks really really really pick up profound differences.

Personally, I just don't want it to be chipped or cracked.

Use the glass you like. You'll never know by hearing other opinions so you may want to buy one of those you're curious about and see if it really matters. [cheers.gif]
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 32050
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#3 Post by c fu » April 28th, 2020, 8:59 pm

Zalto bordeaux is my favorite glass for burgundy. Hands down.

Grassl over riedel, the narrow opening focuses the nose. Pretty much all the high end stemware is like that now except for those old school ones
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
Patrick T a y l o r
Posts: 232
Joined: January 27th, 2019, 6:59 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#4 Post by Patrick T a y l o r » April 28th, 2020, 9:01 pm

Well, it hasn't been discussed ad nauseam between the day you joined and today. :)

I think Grassl still has a tasting set for $50 as a try before you buy (refundable). Search this board for keywords like Grassl, GGG, Riedel. I was happy with Riedel for many years until I tried Grassl. Your mileage may vary. CJFselections.com is the importer.
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

Rauno E (NZ)
Posts: 2306
Joined: March 13th, 2012, 12:32 am

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#5 Post by Rauno E (NZ) » April 28th, 2020, 9:57 pm

Hi Andrew, and welcome. I have 3 different glasses I use for red burgundy: Riedel Somm, Zalto (similar to your Grassl image) and Spiegelau (a product line that now appears retired, but is like a more tulip-shaped version of a white burgundy Riedel or a more bulbous version of a classic Bordeaux shape). Both the Riedel Somm and Zalto are rather high end so they tend to come out for the more serious bottles. Frankly, I have found some wines are better in the Riedel and others in the Zalto. I have also found that any two people seldom agree on which wine is better in which glass. Nor has it ever made a large difference to my enjoyment of a wine. Nor has there been some obvious pattern, e.g. younger wines are better in the Zalto and Chambolles in the Riedel. So my advice is you're probably not missing out on anything, but if you like experimenting get yourself some Grassl or Zalto :).
Rauno Engel

User avatar
Ian S
Posts: 591
Joined: January 29th, 2019, 11:51 am

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#6 Post by Ian S » April 28th, 2020, 10:04 pm

Different bowl shapes can accentuate different properties in different wines. Glasses with the shape of a snifter seem to produce a concentrating effect on the aromas, which I believe Constable Fu describes as focusing the nose.
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - the "Crazy Uncle" Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

"I swear to god, I've never seen so many whiny bitches in one place in my life." - Steve Saxon, 01/30/18
"Moral superiority can taste awfully good to some." - David Kantrowitz, 05/29/19

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 2130
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#7 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » April 28th, 2020, 10:12 pm

Tasting is incredibly subjective, so YMMV and nothing really replaces trying different wines in different glasses.

I like the Riedel Somm Grand Cru glass but oddly the very best experience I ever had with that glass was a Cote Rotie.

We like, and use, the Grassl Liberté and Cru both at home and at the winery. Except for bubbles, there, if I feel like a more linear bright experience, I use a Zalto white wine glass and for a little more richness the Grassl Liberté.

We taste Pinot Noir from barrel in the Liberté, and at home if I want the bright acidity of young Pinot Noir I use the Liberté instead of the Cru. The balance between the two is corrected by using the Cru for older Chardonnays. For younger Chardonnay, the Grassl Liberté is the one and only for me.

Like Fu, I like the Zalto Bordeaux glass for red Burgundy and for a fair amount of Oregon Pinot Noir(and much, much more than I like the Zalto Burgundy). I like the Grassl Cru just as much. When determining the tasting glass for our Pinot Noirs in the tasting room, it was a tie for me between the Grassl Cru and the Zalto Bordeaux.

But being a Pinot Noir producer, choosing a glass called “Bordeaux” over a Cru is like a Seahawks fan having a 49ers coffee mug...
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

User avatar
William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2480
Joined: June 4th, 2014, 1:36 am
Location: Beaune, France & San Antonio, Texas

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#8 Post by William Kelley » April 29th, 2020, 2:41 am

Personally, I have gone over to Conterno's "Sensory" glass for pretty much all mature reds and whites. For younger, whites and reds, I'll use the Zalto Universal and Bordeaux glasses.
The Wine Advocate

Jürgen Steinke
Posts: 1253
Joined: September 30th, 2009, 6:28 am

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#9 Post by Jürgen Steinke » April 29th, 2020, 4:12 am

I use the Gabriel Glas. Not the Gold version because I broke too many. The standard does it for me. I am not a fan of overly big glasses (Riedel Sommelier etc.). But I tested many versions over the years and the glass makes a difference.

Yong Wei C.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 29
Joined: May 15th, 2013, 9:21 pm
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#10 Post by Yong Wei C. » April 29th, 2020, 8:18 am

The Zalto Burgundy is my go-to. No complaints.
YW Chan

User avatar
Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 674
Joined: January 31st, 2009, 1:16 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#11 Post by Marshall Manning » April 29th, 2020, 8:37 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 10:12 pm
But being a Pinot Noir producer, choosing a glass called “Bordeaux” over a Cru is like a Seahawks fan having a 49ers coffee mug...
They're just trying to look classy, Marcus.
Marshall

User avatar
jason stein
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 439
Joined: November 17th, 2016, 11:15 am
Location: Boston

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#12 Post by jason stein » April 29th, 2020, 8:39 am

Yong Wei C. wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 8:18 am
The Zalto Burgundy is my go-to. No complaints.
Me as well.
instagram: @jtswine

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 36016
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#13 Post by Anton D » April 29th, 2020, 8:44 am

Riedel Extreme....Image

Zalto Denk'Art Burgundy Glass

A large Brandy snifter may be the best of all.


I don't know what the Hell glass this is ----> [cheers.gif] I am embarrassed that it qualified as an emoji.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

User avatar
Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 855
Joined: April 24th, 2020, 11:41 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#14 Post by Andrew K. » April 29th, 2020, 8:49 am

Thanks for the tips guys. I decided to order a Grassl 1855 and Cru to get the chance to test out with different wines and compare.
к𝓁ย𝐠

m. ristev
Posts: 899
Joined: October 10th, 2014, 3:57 pm

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#15 Post by m. ristev » April 29th, 2020, 8:50 am

anyone use those zieher glasses? really interested in trying the 'balanced' model.
mајкл

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5849
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#16 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » April 29th, 2020, 10:24 am

I use the grassl cru for most reds and whites.

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10668
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#17 Post by Scott Brunson » April 29th, 2020, 11:00 am

Another vote for Grassl Cru
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

User avatar
Patrick T a y l o r
Posts: 232
Joined: January 27th, 2019, 6:59 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#18 Post by Patrick T a y l o r » April 29th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Andrew K. wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 8:49 am
Thanks for the tips guys. I decided to order a Grassl 1855 and Cru to get the chance to test out with different wines and compare.
Some friends and I did that pre-quarantine. We tried 5 wines in 5 different glasses. The shape of the glass change the nose, for sure. But it also changed where the wine hit the palate, which made a huge difference and not always in a good way.

I've started recording the stem in my CT notes, so I can make better wine / stem pairings.

(I need therapy.)
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

User avatar
Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion
Posts: 4648
Joined: November 29th, 2010, 1:13 pm
Location: Back in the Burgh

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#19 Post by Dave McIsaac » April 29th, 2020, 1:14 pm

Patrick T a y l o r wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 12:31 pm
Andrew K. wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 8:49 am
Thanks for the tips guys. I decided to order a Grassl 1855 and Cru to get the chance to test out with different wines and compare.
Some friends and I did that pre-quarantine. We tried 5 wines in 5 different glasses. The shape of the glass change the nose, for sure. But it also changed where the wine hit the palate, which made a huge difference and not always in a good way.

I've started recording the stem in my CT notes, so I can make better wine / stem pairings.

(I need therapy.)
Don't forget Sally's stems, too...... [cheers.gif]
You're the man Dave! I think i speak for all of us when i say that..😎 - John Cabot, BDXI

dvansteenderen
Posts: 133
Joined: January 5th, 2019, 5:56 am
Location: Rotterdam, the Netherlands

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#20 Post by dvansteenderen » April 29th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Gabriel Gold Glas Edition
Conterno Giacomo Sensory

disclaimer: I sell both...
David van Steenderen | ITB

User avatar
Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4722
Joined: April 30th, 2010, 9:04 am
Location: Oldenburg, Germany

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#21 Post by Henry Kiichli » April 29th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Anton D wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 8:44 am
Riedel Extreme....Image

Zalto Denk'Art Burgundy Glass

A large Brandy snifter may be the best of all.


I don't know what the Hell glass this is ----> [cheers.gif] I am embarrassed that it qualified as an emoji.
Tasting in Burgundy, many growers present in a cognac snifter.

Including those folx who have 500+€ wines.
"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

User avatar
Patrick T a y l o r
Posts: 232
Joined: January 27th, 2019, 6:59 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#22 Post by Patrick T a y l o r » April 29th, 2020, 1:54 pm

Dave McIsaac wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 1:14 pm
Patrick T a y l o r wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 12:31 pm


I've started recording the stem in my CT notes, so I can make better wine / stem pairings.

Don't forget Sally's stems, too...... [cheers.gif]
Sally is a fickle beast.
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7562
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#23 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » April 29th, 2020, 3:04 pm

William Kelley wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 2:41 am
Personally, I have gone over to Conterno's "Sensory" glass for pretty much all mature reds and whites. For younger, whites and reds, I'll use the Zalto Universal and Bordeaux glasses.
Oh no, a new glass to consider.

User avatar
lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1703
Joined: June 28th, 2014, 6:28 pm
Location: Santa Fe NM

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#24 Post by lleichtman » April 29th, 2020, 3:41 pm

We use the Riedel "Oregon" Pinot glass Performance series.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

C. Keller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 236
Joined: March 31st, 2018, 6:19 am

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#25 Post by C. Keller » April 29th, 2020, 3:50 pm

Glasses are all personal preference. Just like the wine that goes into the glass.
Chris

G. Keeler
Posts: 315
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 12:03 am
Location: OC

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#26 Post by G. Keeler » April 29th, 2020, 4:39 pm

C. Keller wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 3:50 pm
Glasses are all personal preference. Just like the wine that goes into the glass.
Agree. I have started using the Zalto Bordeaux as a my all purpose red wine glass lately. We have the Zalto burg glass but tend to only use it for white burg. Also recently bought the Conterno Sensory glass and really like it. Good design and feels less top heavy compared to the Zalto burg. I had the Riedel somm burg glass for years but rarely pull it. Just doesn't feel good in the hand.
G L E N N

User avatar
Ian S
Posts: 591
Joined: January 29th, 2019, 11:51 am

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#27 Post by Ian S » April 29th, 2020, 5:22 pm

G. Keeler wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 4:39 pm
I have started using the Zalto Bordeaux as a my all purpose red wine glass lately.
Are you daft? You can't pour Burgundy or Brunello in a Bordeaux glass! [swoon.gif] It might cause a time paradox or reverse the planet's magnetic field.
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - the "Crazy Uncle" Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

"I swear to god, I've never seen so many whiny bitches in one place in my life." - Steve Saxon, 01/30/18
"Moral superiority can taste awfully good to some." - David Kantrowitz, 05/29/19

User avatar
J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 652
Joined: March 19th, 2017, 12:15 pm
Location: San Antonio, Tx

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#28 Post by J.Vizuete » April 29th, 2020, 5:44 pm

William Kelley wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 2:41 am
Personally, I have gone over to Conterno's "Sensory" glass for pretty much all mature reds and whites. For younger, whites and reds, I'll use the Zalto Universal and Bordeaux glasses.
What were you drinking that 09 selosse out of??
John
CT: jviz
WOTY: 1989 VCC, 2010 Lafite Rothschild

User avatar
J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 652
Joined: March 19th, 2017, 12:15 pm
Location: San Antonio, Tx

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#29 Post by J.Vizuete » April 29th, 2020, 5:46 pm

dvansteenderen wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 1:46 pm
Gabriel Gold Glas Edition
Conterno Giacomo Sensory

disclaimer: I sell both...
Where can one purchase the conterno glass in the US?
John
CT: jviz
WOTY: 1989 VCC, 2010 Lafite Rothschild

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7562
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#30 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » April 29th, 2020, 5:54 pm

J.Vizuete wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 5:46 pm
dvansteenderen wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 1:46 pm
Gabriel Gold Glas Edition
Conterno Giacomo Sensory

disclaimer: I sell both...
Where can one purchase the conterno glass in the US?
Rarewineco.com has the glasses on sale for $75, but it’s prearrival with a June arrival.

User avatar
Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3586
Joined: May 27th, 2012, 1:29 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#31 Post by Kirk.Grant » April 29th, 2020, 6:03 pm

Andrew K. wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 5:40 pm
I did some searches and didn't see much on this particular topic, but forgive me if it's been discussed ad nauseum.

I currently have a couple of stems of Riedel Sommelier Burgundy Grand Cru that I use regularly for myself. But I've noticed that some of the preferred stems around here such as Grassl have a very different look to their Burgundy glass.

Namely, the round shape and wider opening curved out on Riedel.

41eMgbPdl5L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

And the flat bottom and narrower straight opening on the Grassl Cru. Also the Grassl is a bit shorter.

photo-cru.png

I drink a lot of Burgundy and Pinot in general, so just wondering if I'm missing out on something with the Riedel version vs the narrower opening.
Andrew, welcome to the forum first & foremost. I think this is a really good question. I have both glasses you mention here. The Ridel is so much heavier that I rarely use it. What I have found is that the Riedel glass does a better job of "hiding" flaws...but it does not always smell or taste the best from that glass. I recently switched over the the Grassl glass and I'm very happy with them. Chris (CJS Selections) was amazing to work with. It's worth trying them out if you drink wine often and are the least bit geeky about it.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

User avatar
Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 855
Joined: April 24th, 2020, 11:41 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#32 Post by Andrew K. » April 29th, 2020, 6:09 pm

Kirk.Grant wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 6:03 pm
It's worth trying them out if you drink wine often and are the least bit geeky about it.
Thanks! Guilty on both points!
к𝓁ย𝐠

User avatar
William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2480
Joined: June 4th, 2014, 1:36 am
Location: Beaune, France & San Antonio, Texas

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#33 Post by William Kelley » April 29th, 2020, 11:48 pm

J.Vizuete wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 5:44 pm
William Kelley wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 2:41 am
Personally, I have gone over to Conterno's "Sensory" glass for pretty much all mature reds and whites. For younger, whites and reds, I'll use the Zalto Universal and Bordeaux glasses.
What were you drinking that 09 selosse out of??
That's the Zalto white wine glass. I use it for most Champagne these days. Cédric Bouchard's wines I drink out of the Universal glass.
The Wine Advocate

User avatar
William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2480
Joined: June 4th, 2014, 1:36 am
Location: Beaune, France & San Antonio, Texas

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#34 Post by William Kelley » April 29th, 2020, 11:51 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 3:04 pm
William Kelley wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 2:41 am
Personally, I have gone over to Conterno's "Sensory" glass for pretty much all mature reds and whites. For younger, whites and reds, I'll use the Zalto Universal and Bordeaux glasses.
Oh no, a new glass to consider.
I know, apologies for that... But I do find it very satisfactory, and more forgiving for older wines than the Zalto Burgundy glass, if that makes sense. If it were 10-15% smaller it really would be perfect.
The Wine Advocate

User avatar
J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 652
Joined: March 19th, 2017, 12:15 pm
Location: San Antonio, Tx

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#35 Post by J.Vizuete » April 30th, 2020, 12:05 pm

William Kelley wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 11:48 pm
J.Vizuete wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 5:44 pm
William Kelley wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 2:41 am
Personally, I have gone over to Conterno's "Sensory" glass for pretty much all mature reds and whites. For younger, whites and reds, I'll use the Zalto Universal and Bordeaux glasses.
What were you drinking that 09 selosse out of??
That's the Zalto white wine glass. I use it for most Champagne these days. Cédric Bouchard's wines I drink out of the Universal glass.
Interesting! For all the talk about zalto, grassl, and GGG, that's a glass not often mentioned and it really stood out as a beautiful glass in the video. I liked the height and angles but clearly much broader than a flute. I may have to start a set at home
John
CT: jviz
WOTY: 1989 VCC, 2010 Lafite Rothschild

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7562
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#36 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » May 1st, 2020, 4:45 am

William Kelley wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 11:51 pm
Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 3:04 pm
William Kelley wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 2:41 am
Personally, I have gone over to Conterno's "Sensory" glass for pretty much all mature reds and whites. For younger, whites and reds, I'll use the Zalto Universal and Bordeaux glasses.
Oh no, a new glass to consider.
I know, apologies for that... But I do find it very satisfactory, and more forgiving for older wines than the Zalto Burgundy glass, if that makes sense. If it were 10-15% smaller it really would be perfect.
Well I bit on the RWC deal at $75 each.

User avatar
Keith Levenberg
Posts: 5610
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 3:11 pm
Location: Washington, D.C.

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#37 Post by Keith Levenberg » May 1st, 2020, 8:19 am

I love the traditional tulip shape of the Sommelier but it's just too damn huge. Same goes for the Zalto Burgundy and the new Conterno glass. I use Zalto Bordeaux but don't like the angular shape of it. Can't wait till the fashion pendulum swings back to round bowls.

btw, who made this rule that every trendy new wine glass has to be more expensive than the one before? I remember when people thought $15 for a Riedel stem was embarrassing and now people are paying $75 for Conterno glasses the size of a volleyball?

User avatar
Brad England
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 921
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 11:14 am
Location: Avon, CO

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#38 Post by Brad England » May 1st, 2020, 8:42 am

Like a few others, I'm using the Conterno Sensory glass for virtually all wines, white or red, young or old. I'm also a huge fan of the Zalto Universal, but my usage is way done. I remember tasting at Conterno with Roberto in 2018, and he served all wine tasted in both Sensory and whatever glass they had previously used (I think Zalto but don't remember). I was a quite skeptical, but kept it to myself (we were guests after all). That night I had to admit to my mates that literally every wine tasted better from Sensory. I bought a couple of Sensory glasses once they were commercially available, and now I'm hooked. Rare Wine has a good price on them currently ($75) and donates $25 of that to various Frontline groups. Definitely check out their website if you're looking to pick up a couple and try them.
CT=BradE

User avatar
Brad England
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 921
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 11:14 am
Location: Avon, CO

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#39 Post by Brad England » May 1st, 2020, 8:49 am

Keith Levenberg wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 8:19 am
I love the traditional tulip shape of the Sommelier but it's just too damn huge. Same goes for the Zalto Burgundy and the new Conterno glass. I use Zalto Bordeaux but don't like the angular shape of it. Can't wait till the fashion pendulum swings back to round bowls.

btw, who made this rule that every trendy new wine glass has to be more expensive than the one before? I remember when people thought $15 for a Riedel stem was embarrassing and now people are paying $75 for Conterno glasses the size of a volleyball?
Keith, can't argue on pricing. But I have eight Sensory glasses at home and nest them (one right side up, next one upside down) in a four by two pattern. The stems are the perfect length to allow tight nesting, and eight really don't take up too much space.
PS, we do like the fact that you're a young curmudgeon.
CT=BradE

User avatar
Brad England
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 921
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 11:14 am
Location: Avon, CO

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#40 Post by Brad England » May 1st, 2020, 8:52 am

By the way, for the original poster - in my opinion the Zalto burgundy glass is hopeless. Not a great drinking glass, and literally an abomination to store or to use in any quantity at a dinner table.
CT=BradE

User avatar
Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2823
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 9:36 am
Location: Redondo Beach, California

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#41 Post by Marshall Gelb » May 1st, 2020, 1:59 pm

Brad England wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 8:42 am
Like a few others, I'm using the Conterno Sensory glass for virtually all wines, white or red, young or old. I'm also a huge fan of the Zalto Universal, but my usage is way done. I remember tasting at Conterno with Roberto in 2018, and he served all wine tasted in both Sensory and whatever glass they had previously used (I think Zalto but don't remember). I was a quite skeptical, but kept it to myself (we were guests after all). That night I had to admit to my mates that literally every wine tasted better from Sensory. I bought a couple of Sensory glasses once they were commercially available, and now I'm hooked. Rare Wine has a good price on them currently ($75) and donates $25 of that to various Frontline groups. Definitely check out their website if you're looking to pick up a couple and try them.



Thanks Brad! Need to give them a try.


Cheers!
Marshall
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

User avatar
Alexander Clark
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 32
Joined: July 2nd, 2018, 12:32 pm
Location: Amity, OR / OR Coast

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#42 Post by Alexander Clark » May 1st, 2020, 2:37 pm

Brad England wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 8:42 am
Like a few others, I'm using the Conterno Sensory glass for virtually all wines, white or red, young or old.
Thanks for the info Brad. I haven't had the pleasure, but will be on the lookout for the Sensory when its available.

I'm a big fan of the Zaltos, mainly the Universal. As you mentioned, the Zalto Burgundy is the size of a small pumpkin, which makes it a bit unwieldy (although it is amazing how light a glass it still is, despite its gourd-like girth.). For work drinking, I use the Universal and Burgundy side by side, as I find they highlight different elements of the wine, which is quite helpful for barrel samples. For finished wine, the Universal is a go-to.

In the tasting room, I use a Korin Burgundy glass, which is clear, doesn't chip, and durable, without the weight of a lead goblet. https://www.korin.com/GL-D105_2. Really good price point as well, at $7, and now on sale for less. For whatever reason the flared tulip lip of the Oregon Riedel really irks me.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

ITB-Silas Wines - Elegant Wines, Fun Wine People

User avatar
Keith Levenberg
Posts: 5610
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 3:11 pm
Location: Washington, D.C.

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#43 Post by Keith Levenberg » May 1st, 2020, 3:36 pm

Brad England wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 8:49 am
Keith Levenberg wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 8:19 am
I love the traditional tulip shape of the Sommelier but it's just too damn huge. Same goes for the Zalto Burgundy and the new Conterno glass. I use Zalto Bordeaux but don't like the angular shape of it. Can't wait till the fashion pendulum swings back to round bowls.

btw, who made this rule that every trendy new wine glass has to be more expensive than the one before? I remember when people thought $15 for a Riedel stem was embarrassing and now people are paying $75 for Conterno glasses the size of a volleyball?
Keith, can't argue on pricing. But I have eight Sensory glasses at home and nest them (one right side up, next one upside down) in a four by two pattern. The stems are the perfect length to allow tight nesting, and eight really don't take up too much space.
PS, we do like the fact that you're a young curmudgeon.
thanks, I'm looking forward to getting old and grizzled, I think I'd be really good at it.
It's not the cabinet space I worry about so much as the dishwasher space and also the general fahrvergnügen in the hand. Some of these giant-bowled glasses feel like the basic act of giving it a swirl might generate so much centripetal force the bowl could disattach at any moment and fly clear across the room.

chetkern
Posts: 160
Joined: August 1st, 2010, 6:10 am

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#44 Post by chetkern » May 2nd, 2020, 7:57 am

Zalto Bordeaux for youNg and old white burgundy.

Lee Short
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1448
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 7:33 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#45 Post by Lee Short » May 2nd, 2020, 10:18 am

Could one of you who has the Conterno glasses please post a picture of it next to another glass or two. I'm curious about just how large it is. Because Brad is completely right about Zalto burgs -- I have a several, and all but one of them are in a box somewhere. I like to keep one out to occasionally compare with other glasses -- but I don't use it very often other than that.

User avatar
Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 855
Joined: April 24th, 2020, 11:41 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#46 Post by Andrew K. » May 2nd, 2020, 10:51 am

Got the Grassl 1855 and Cru as well as the Glasvin in yesterday and christened them with a 1975 Ducru. The 1855 is without a doubt the best Bordeaux glass I've ever had. Crazy thin and light, but great balance. The base is like a magnet to the table when you set it down. There's no fear of tipping it over. The wide bowl gives tons of air to the wine and swirls beautifully. The narrower top definitely focuses the nose, but is big enough that it doesn't hit you in the nose when you empty the glass. The thin glass feels amazing on the mouth; like it's not even there.

The lightness of the Glasvin puts the Riedel Somm to shame. However, the lightness of the Grassl puts them both to shame.

The Glasvin is a good universal glass for tastings, maybe beer, older Champagne. But I definitely see myself using the Grassl every day and am ordering more.
к𝓁ย𝐠

User avatar
William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2480
Joined: June 4th, 2014, 1:36 am
Location: Beaune, France & San Antonio, Texas

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#47 Post by William Kelley » May 2nd, 2020, 11:56 pm

Lee Short wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 10:18 am
Could one of you who has the Conterno glasses please post a picture of it next to another glass or two. I'm curious about just how large it is. Because Brad is completely right about Zalto burgs -- I have a several, and all but one of them are in a box somewhere. I like to keep one out to occasionally compare with other glasses -- but I don't use it very often other than that.
I'll try to take one this evening, but it's a little bit smaller than the Zalto Burgundy glass and obviously quite different in profile. While as I mentioned I'd like it even more if it were 10-15% smaller, it's far from the largest glass on the market.
The Wine Advocate

Ofer Refaeli
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 62
Joined: March 5th, 2019, 8:00 am
Location: Israel

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#48 Post by Ofer Refaeli » May 3rd, 2020, 1:15 am

Lee Short wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 10:18 am
Could one of you who has the Conterno glasses please post a picture of it next to another glass or two. I'm curious about just how large it is. Because Brad is completely right about Zalto burgs -- I have a several, and all but one of them are in a box somewhere. I like to keep one out to occasionally compare with other glasses -- but I don't use it very often other than that.
I hope it helps..
Attachments
B8C7C1AA-E4D8-404E-AD27-B707E493A204.jpeg

User avatar
GregT
Posts: 8831
Joined: April 15th, 2009, 3:12 pm

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#49 Post by GregT » May 3rd, 2020, 2:15 am

Keith Levenberg wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 3:36 pm
Brad England wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 8:49 am
Keith Levenberg wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 8:19 am
I love the traditional tulip shape of the Sommelier but it's just too damn huge. Same goes for the Zalto Burgundy and the new Conterno glass. I use Zalto Bordeaux but don't like the angular shape of it. Can't wait till the fashion pendulum swings back to round bowls.

btw, who made this rule that every trendy new wine glass has to be more expensive than the one before? I remember when people thought $15 for a Riedel stem was embarrassing and now people are paying $75 for Conterno glasses the size of a volleyball?
Keith, can't argue on pricing. But I have eight Sensory glasses at home and nest them (one right side up, next one upside down) in a four by two pattern. The stems are the perfect length to allow tight nesting, and eight really don't take up too much space.
PS, we do like the fact that you're a young curmudgeon.
thanks, I'm looking forward to getting old and grizzled, I think I'd be really good at it.
It's not the cabinet space I worry about so much as the dishwasher space and also the general fahrvergnügen in the hand. Some of these giant-bowled glasses feel like the basic act of giving it a swirl might generate so much centripetal force the bowl could disattach at any moment and fly clear across the room.
Hey it's worth it if you believe the glass can change where the wine hits the palate. That swirl might be the difference between the sweet spot and a complete fail.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 2130
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: Preferred Burgundy Glass

#50 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » May 3rd, 2020, 7:55 am

Patrick T a y l o r wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 12:31 pm
Andrew K. wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 8:49 am
Thanks for the tips guys. I decided to order a Grassl 1855 and Cru to get the chance to test out with different wines and compare.
Some friends and I did that pre-quarantine. We tried 5 wines in 5 different glasses. The shape of the glass change the nose, for sure. But it also changed where the wine hit the palate, which made a huge difference and not always in a good way.

I've started recording the stem in my CT notes, so I can make better wine / stem pairings.

(I need therapy.)
I completely agree with this post! (Except for the therapy part. That I am unqualified to judge but will take your word for it).
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”