Preferred Burgundy Glass

I did some searches and didn’t see much on this particular topic, but forgive me if it’s been discussed ad nauseum.

I currently have a couple of stems of Riedel Sommelier Burgundy Grand Cru that I use regularly for myself. But I’ve noticed that some of the preferred stems around here such as Grassl have a very different look to their Burgundy glass.

Namely, the round shape and wider opening curved out on Riedel.
41eMgbPdl5L.AC_SL1000.jpg
And the flat bottom and narrower straight opening on the Grassl Cru. Also the Grassl is a bit shorter.
photo-cru.png
I drink a lot of Burgundy and Pinot in general, so just wondering if I’m missing out on something with the Riedel version vs the narrower opening.

1 Like

Welcome Andrew.

It has been discussed ad nauseum.

You’re not missing out on anything if you like the glass. There are partisans for every one.

And some folks really really really pick up profound differences.

Personally, I just don’t want it to be chipped or cracked.

Use the glass you like. You’ll never know by hearing other opinions so you may want to buy one of those you’re curious about and see if it really matters. [cheers.gif]

Zalto bordeaux is my favorite glass for burgundy. Hands down.

Grassl over riedel, the narrow opening focuses the nose. Pretty much all the high end stemware is like that now except for those old school ones

Well, it hasn’t been discussed ad nauseam between the day you joined and today. :slight_smile:

I think Grassl still has a tasting set for $50 as a try before you buy (refundable). Search this board for keywords like Grassl, GGG, Riedel. I was happy with Riedel for many years until I tried Grassl. Your mileage may vary. CJFselections.com is the importer.

Hi Andrew, and welcome. I have 3 different glasses I use for red burgundy: Riedel Somm, Zalto (similar to your Grassl image) and Spiegelau (a product line that now appears retired, but is like a more tulip-shaped version of a white burgundy Riedel or a more bulbous version of a classic Bordeaux shape). Both the Riedel Somm and Zalto are rather high end so they tend to come out for the more serious bottles. Frankly, I have found some wines are better in the Riedel and others in the Zalto. I have also found that any two people seldom agree on which wine is better in which glass. Nor has it ever made a large difference to my enjoyment of a wine. Nor has there been some obvious pattern, e.g. younger wines are better in the Zalto and Chambolles in the Riedel. So my advice is you’re probably not missing out on anything, but if you like experimenting get yourself some Grassl or Zalto :slight_smile:.

Different bowl shapes can accentuate different properties in different wines. Glasses with the shape of a snifter seem to produce a concentrating effect on the aromas, which I believe Constable Fu describes as focusing the nose.

Tasting is incredibly subjective, so YMMV and nothing really replaces trying different wines in different glasses.

I like the Riedel Somm Grand Cru glass but oddly the very best experience I ever had with that glass was a Cote Rotie.

We like, and use, the Grassl Liberté and Cru both at home and at the winery. Except for bubbles, there, if I feel like a more linear bright experience, I use a Zalto white wine glass and for a little more richness the Grassl Liberté.

We taste Pinot Noir from barrel in the Liberté, and at home if I want the bright acidity of young Pinot Noir I use the Liberté instead of the Cru. The balance between the two is corrected by using the Cru for older Chardonnays. For younger Chardonnay, the Grassl Liberté is the one and only for me.

Like Fu, I like the Zalto Bordeaux glass for red Burgundy and for a fair amount of Oregon Pinot Noir(and much, much more than I like the Zalto Burgundy). I like the Grassl Cru just as much. When determining the tasting glass for our Pinot Noirs in the tasting room, it was a tie for me between the Grassl Cru and the Zalto Bordeaux.

But being a Pinot Noir producer, choosing a glass called “Bordeaux” over a Cru is like a Seahawks fan having a 49ers coffee mug…

1 Like

Personally, I have gone over to Conterno’s “Sensory” glass for pretty much all mature reds and whites. For younger, whites and reds, I’ll use the Zalto Universal and Bordeaux glasses.

I use the Gabriel Glas. Not the Gold version because I broke too many. The standard does it for me. I am not a fan of overly big glasses (Riedel Sommelier etc.). But I tested many versions over the years and the glass makes a difference.

The Zalto Burgundy is my go-to. No complaints.

They’re just trying to look classy, Marcus.

Me as well.

Riedel Extreme…

Zalto Denk’Art Burgundy Glass
A large Brandy snifter may be the best of all.

I don’t know what the Hell glass this is ----> [cheers.gif] I am embarrassed that it qualified as an emoji.

Thanks for the tips guys. I decided to order a Grassl 1855 and Cru to get the chance to test out with different wines and compare.

anyone use those zieher glasses? really interested in trying the ‘balanced’ model.

I use the grassl cru for most reds and whites.

Another vote for Grassl Cru

Some friends and I did that pre-quarantine. We tried 5 wines in 5 different glasses. The shape of the glass change the nose, for sure. But it also changed where the wine hit the palate, which made a huge difference and not always in a good way.

I’ve started recording the stem in my CT notes, so I can make better wine / stem pairings.

(I need therapy.)

Don’t forget Sally’s stems, too… [cheers.gif]

Gabriel Gold Glas Edition
Conterno Giacomo Sensory

disclaimer: I sell both…

1 Like