TN: 1996 Charles Joguet Chinon Les Varennes du Grand Clos

Another very lovely mature Joguet to enjoy at peak. This followed on the heals of my 1995 Chene Vert, which was spectacular:

While not exactly at the same level, this wine opens up quite well. Took a solid hour of decanting to really express itself. When it did, was a nice array of dried red fruits, herbs, barn plank and dry earth and ground cover, think leaves, twigs and needles. Crisp streak of red fruits on the palate, some ripe and some tangy, with a tart but clean finish. Not a blockbuster by any stretch, just a solid and mature, very well made wine to enjoy at dinner and a final glass after for some contemplation.

(91 pts.)

Sounds delicious and right up my alley. But were the needles piney or more biohazard?

Thx for the note. By coincidence, I just opened this tonight. It was lovely. In a great place with probably at least another 10-15 years remaining. Visually, it looked a bit like Nebbiolo. Note the alcohol level — almost unheard of these days!
B61C8F79-A215-449D-B364-3824E69AE0D6.jpeg

Great note on a very nice sounding bottle. Really makes the case that serious patience isn’t just for the heavy hitters (alas).

That’s funny, Angelo! I really liked that 95 Chene Vert, it was outstanding. Yea even some Loire CFs are hedging into the 14s these days.

Elliott, this is one of the top Joguet cuvees, so going long as easy. I prefer Chene Vert and Dioterie, but this is no slouch.

And Kenny, stop pining for needles! Nice run today, by the way!

Funny…I just picked up a bottle of the ‘96 Les Varennes…nice note…looking forward to it

Finishing off the remaining 1/4 bottle with dinner. Gotta up the score a point to 92.

This is a lovely wine. Marc will want more funk - and I won’t complain about that either - but wow does this have really nice purity of the red fruit spectrum.

This thread made me thirsty for other old Joguet so I opened this puppy tonight. Bright cherry red color. Lots of acidity. Fresh and drinking young. Really good.
0D6DFF12-B500-42EF-89D4-8AAED6953874.jpeg

From the same year, a very nice surprise:

Château du Hureau - Les Fevettes - Saumur-Champigny 1996

I had one back in December but I don’t think I posted a note - and this bottle was better. Very appealing bouquet, full of wild strawberry, spices and plum. Quite a thick, forthright attack of mature blackberry, before branching out into wild strawberry, then smoky plum, then violets, before a complex finish combining all four flavours. If it wasn’t for the smoky touch, this could have been a pre-Parker Pomerol. I’ve always wondered what a mature Rougeard must taste like and I imagine it must be something like this. All those who think of Saumur-C as a lunchtime quaffer should try this. Amazing value too.
I bought this on a whim - it’s not even the top cuvée of Hureau, so I shall certainly look out for more.

Nice, Julian!

Amazing the clarity of color in Angelo’s post!

Cheers - yes, Angelo’s photo is great - I’ve got to master the art of posting photos here!