Epic Dry Mosel Wine

2012 Willi Schaefer Himmelreich GG - Unprecedented purity, elegance and refinement in a glass. Citrus notes intertwined with slatey minerality with impeccable balance and outstanding finish. I wish he made this every year.

If Keller is about concentration and Schaefer Frohlich is about minerality, this is all about harmony. What a gorgeous wine for $40!

Wow. I’m surprised to see a Willi Schaefer GG for $40. Now that I think about it, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Willi Schaefer GG on a shelf.

sounds like a closeout bottle from union square wines. i saw it on the shelf a while back and was almost curious enough to try it…

It was only $40 when it was released.

Lovely! Thanks for the share. Any experience with Dr Loosen GG?

Willi made a GG in 2012 and then in 2018. I picked up a few.

I saw the USQ offer, think it was 2011. It was gone by the time I got to it.

Andrew I haven’t tried Dr. Loosen’s wines.

I usually prefer Keller, Schaefer Frohlich GGs, and Donnhoff’s depending on the vintage. This was right up there with the very best. I hope he makes it every year.

Had the '16 Erdinger Treppchen GG last week! My note -

Citrus, light tropical fruit, and a broader-than-I’m-used-to-for-Mosel chalky aura. A light unctuous feel but balanced by the acidity.

I really enjoyed it quite a bit.

Yes, I opened a 2018 GG and it was great

Willi Schaefer’s I presume? I have a few tucked away!

Subu, thanks for the note. I am not a huge GG fan, but I do buy and drink some. I love your harmony description for W. Schaffer. I think that’s true for his wines in general.

What???

Never ever

KELLER is about precision, purity and finesse&elegance.

Martin, pick your adjectives to shower!! I love Keller’s wines as well. [drinkers.gif]

I picked up a few of the ‘18 GGs. Hard to resist when I’m increasingly enjoying GGs from other producers and have been going through quite a few Schaefer Kabinett and Spätleses lately. I’m looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the ‘18 GG!