TN: 2019 D&R Especial Old Friends Red

Blend of petite sirah, barbera, and carignan.

Fantastic aromatics with pure cranberries. Light but also dense on the palate, hard to describe. Remarkably easy to drink. Too easy to kill a bottle. I wish this was a little cheaper as I’d buy it by the case, but lovely.

You are putting in the work on the current D&R releases. Thanks for the early check in! I might kill one soon since it does sound crushable right now from your note. Thanks.

Seriously, much appreciated. For this one, Hardy has an interactive tasting coming up which if you haven’t joined yet I’d highly recommend.

Opened another bottle last night, just delicious and easy to drink. Lovely.

Thanks for the notes on this. It is such a snappy, juicy wine.

I wish we could have made all lot more of it! Maybe 2020?

The breakdown on this different than any other Especial we’ve ever made (no Mourvèdre)- Whole cluster old vine Petite Sirah (from Fred & Dora’s), old vine Barbara, and whole cluster old vine Carignane.

It s a tough call on how to serve this- I’ve been switching between rosé temp (which simplifies it quite a bit- but makes it like the best adult Kool-Aid / popsicle juice ever- and a long decant / day 2 which brings out the super knit texture.

Barbera? You been hanging around with Sam Bilbro?

Ha! There’s old vine Barbera right next to our Mendocino Chenin and while picking the Chenin, it blew my mind and we picked a few tons the next week. Mind melting acidity.

I enjoyed it best Day 2… took it right out of the fridge and followed it for a few hours as it came up to room temp. Made me smile every sip [wow.gif]