Zoom Event with Dominique Moreau of Champagne Marie Courtin--This Saturday, May 2nd @ 1PM ET

Last weekend we delivered the event with Cedric Mousse, taking our Zoom effort to Cuisles, France. After many of you told us how much you enjoyed seeing an event surrounding Champagne, we are forging ahead with another event.

This Saturday at 10AM PT / 1PM ET, we will welcome Dominique Moreau, the owner and winemaker of Champagne Marie Courtin. She will be joining us from her domaine in Polisot, France. I met Dominique in May 2018 when we did a visit to see the domaine, to taste the wines. Previous to the visit, I had discovered her wines through Envoyer and have been buying the wines consistently for the past 3 years. In fact, Dominique makes a Chardonnay-based wine from a small section of her slope and it was this wine–she calls it Eloquence. The 2014 was one of the very best Champagnes I tasted in 2019, alongside Cristal 2009. She also makes several Pinot Noir-based wines, as well as a Pinot Blanc/Chardonnay cuvee that is terrific. She farms biodynamic, making her wines from the Portlandian and Kimmeridgian soils of her slope in the village.

You can find a little more about Marie Courtin by clicking here: Polaner Selections

We welcome anyone to the event this Saturday who would like to attend.

TO BE PART OF THE EVENT, PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING. THANK YOU.

Date/Time: Saturday, May 2nd @ 10AM PT / 1PM ET / 1700 Paris
Theme: If you own Marie Courtin, open one. Or, you can choose to open another Champagne as you may have done during Mousse, and enjoy the event.

How To Connect: To get the Zoom link to connect to the event, send a private message to Frank Murray III. I will then send you the link in a private reply. Once you receive the link, please do NOT forward it.

We’ll be muting everyone’s audio so we can eliminate background noise. You’ll also be optioned to turn on your camera if you like…just come to learn, share and be part of the fellowship we are creating.

This sounds great. Trying to find some locally but it’s not looking good.

Kenny

Whaaat! Amazing!

Viet and Frank opened my eyes to Marie Courtin last year. Absolutely wonderful Champagne. Don’t have any bottles on hand, but I’ll be tuning in!

Wow! What a cool land, Frank. [thankyou.gif] I have a 2014 Concordance at home that I will plan to open. Anyone know if this one needs a bit of air to shine its brightest? Knowing my wife and I, the bottle.likely won’t last past 2 hours once we start.

Thanks a lot for supporting the idea. I got a bunch of PMs already, so those I have replied to with the link.

There are some bottles at Sec Wines in Portland, which has no sales tax, too. I’ve bought from Sec Wines before and they are prompt and they did everything right for me. Here is a link to what they have: Sec Wines Portland wine shop - Your Results

The 2014 Efflorescence is excellent, and I have it on my WOTY list already. I also think a lot of the Resonance, as it’s the workhorse in the lineup, usually around 45-50 bucks US.

Not sure what I am opening. I may open another 2014 Eff and see if it performs as well as it did last time. It would be a good test to see if it has a repeat experience for WOTY quality.

I’ll probably be opening a 2007 Efflorescence.

Mike you go back a lot further than me on these wines. It will be good to have you on, as you have a deeper history with the vintages. I started with the 2012s.

Damn. Already on another Zoom this Saturday that I committed to a couple of weeks ago. I now have a total of 6 Zoom invites for Saturday, not including this one.

I’m FINALLY opening a bottle of wine by the producer we are featuring during these Zoom Livestreams! (‘14 Efflourescence, likely what Frank and Dominique will be drinking as well)

Todd, I will be drinking the same wine, the 2014 Efflorescence. This is the Pinot Noir, from the bottom of the hill. I believe the soil is Kimmeridgian, which is the same kind of soil that is not far in Chablis. I’ll see if Dominique will open the same wine so she can parallel us.

I can drop in for part of this. In the new reality of Zoom being our social gathering place I have another at 1:30 that day. [help.gif]

Here are a few more photos to help share about Marie Courtin. I am still providing the link if you PM me, and the support for the event continues to be strong. I know that Dominique will appreciate it, your support of her craft, the amazing wines she is crafting.
7-Looking Inside The Village.jpg
6-The MC Tasting Office.jpg
9-Disgorgement 3.jpg
15-Dominique and I.jpg

Glad to hear that about the '14 Eff, as I inadvertently have 6 bottles pending (at the time of purchase, I thought my second buy of this wine was my first). Sounds like a happy mistake!

Graf, my own sense about really great wines is that wine’s ability to perform in various settings and contexts over time, i.e. to create repeatable Wow experiences, things that really imprint. So, we’ll see if the 2014 MC Eff will do that. Maybe it won’t be as good as the last bottle but if it is repeatable this Saturday, then we have a true WOTY wine identified for me, maybe a Wow experience for you and others.

You must have drank all of your Carlisle Zin already neener

Yeah, yeah…that one isn’t gonna be super comfortable for me, so I’ll be very much in the ‘background’…

I certainly hope it goes that way! Thanks for what must be considerable efforts expended to make this happen, Frank; and a simultaneous thank you to Dominique for agreeing to speak to us, and to Todd for his perpetual efforts in keeping WB alive and thriving. champagne.gif

I’m looking forward to it, though the Marie Courtin wines have been a mixed blessing for me. I went more than 20 years of serious wine geekery without catching the Champagne bug. Then two things happened. First, I joined a regular monthly dinner with some friends at a local steakhouse where we always start with a bottle or three of Champagne and I started to appreciate it more. Second, a friend poured me a Marie Courtin Éfflorescence at a New Year’s Eve event and it completely blew me away in a primal way that no other Champagne ever had, including the magical 1988 Krug.

The profound effect of that wine and a few others can be seen in my buying patterns. I bought fewer than 50 bottles of Champagne between 1993 and 2015. On the other hand, I’ve bought almost 300 bottles of Champagne from 2016 to the present. So, while I can thank Dominique for helping to open my eyes to a source of great pleasure, it has come with a significant cost.

Mike, that is a bitchen comment. I passed it along to Dominique for you, as I am pretty sure she has not visited the board here yet.

I plan to open my 2014 Efflorescence tonight and get ahead of things a bit. I’ll jot down a note later tonight about it and give you my 2 cents on what it showed.