de Negoce offer

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
J. Patrick Lynch

Re: de Negoce offer

#3201 Post by J. Patrick Lynch » September 2nd, 2020, 7:16 am

Max S. wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 6:53 am
And it went downhill from there and denigrated into personal attacks, name calling, blah, blah, blah. Not fun (or good reading).
Thats kind of the nature of the beast with an online forum, there are people you enjoy interacting with and people you don't... not all that much different from real life, except a little exaggerated.
Honestly, there hasn't been much to discuss lately that hasn't been discussed before. There's been only one offer over the last week.
J @ c k

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3202 Post by Rodrigo B » September 2nd, 2020, 7:31 am

I just want to echo many other’s thoughts on this thread that MatthewT is welcome back here anytime he wants.

Discussions ended up getting a bit too heated and people ended up taking comments personally (whether you think it was justified or not, that’s for you to decide, I’ve got no horse in this race and don’t want to stir up previous discussions). Personally I think it’s ok to be upset when people are directing comments directly at you and to decide to take a bit of a break from the thread to let things cool down.

MatthewT—hopefully at some point you decide to come back and join in on discussions. Your enthusiasm and contributions are always welcome.

And to everyone—let’s keep discussions civilised and free of personal attacks. Dissenting opinions are fine and encouraged to promote a healthy conversation, but let’s all be respectful towards each other. At the end of the day we’re talking about sub-$20 wines here, there shouldn’t be anything that seriously upsets people.
B r a g a

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3203 Post by Rich Brown » September 2nd, 2020, 7:33 am

Michae1 P0wers wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 7:13 am
^ Basically this. Matthew is still participating in other threads, so not gone. Perhaps this is just a sabbatical from the dN thread.

This thread has been bizarre, and somewhat fascinating. While never reaching a truly toxic level, it became acrimonious quickly and stayed that way. The most interesting part was how that strange, unnecessary, us vs. them vibe seemed to appeal to many, particularly newer members, while you could tell it was keeping others away.
I 100% agree - it was very interesting to me how that overall tone was established, and even celebrated in some cases. Even now some peeps seem to miss it, while others (including myself) find the discussion here lately more interesting than ever. Maybe we need two dn threads - 1 to objectively talk about the wines/model/etc, and a second that's more of a playful, 'show me the offer' type of thread? I feel like there's no reason this one can't be both (that’s literally how moat WB threads are), but maybe some people would just prefer one over the other when it comes to dn??

Toby P

#3204 Post by Toby P » September 2nd, 2020, 8:00 am

I think I speak for many when I say I had no problem with the board at any point. Sure, there was some mildly heated back-and-forth, but it was never toxic or personal (well, except for the comments about MatthewT's fatherhood and/or need for therapy?!), and mostly about the wine / business model / sources etc. It never drowned out discussions of new offers, so if that's all you cared about you could just pop in when new offers hit. It prob makes some sense to have another thread for just tasting notes and related discussions as October approaches since there will be a flood of wines!

Also, I probably shouldn't even wade in here lol, but if you guys can't see that many comments directed at the "newbies" are patronizing (see some very recent ones for examples!), don't know what to tell you. That said, I don't really care...you can patronize, and if someone wants to push back on that, that's fine too. I can skip over those back-and-forths or hell, enjoy them for fun.
P r a t t

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#3205 Post by larry schaffer » September 2nd, 2020, 8:08 am

My hope is that the tone of the thread does not 'scare off' many that are new to the board or those that have pervasively been 'lurkers only'. The board needs new voices and opinions all of the time, and this thread has assisted in bringing in some new folks.

The call for civility is not new - it's something that has arisen in the past and will continue to again and again. Be patient and kind, folks - and just remember that at the end of the day, it's only wine . . .

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Troy Stark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3206 Post by Troy Stark » September 2nd, 2020, 8:19 am

If what people took from my story was that I was suggesting MatthewT get therapy, then I owe everyone, especially Matthew T, an apology. That was not the intent of the story.

What I was trying to say, apparently unsuccessfully, is that if someone finds themselves at the center of drama or arguments, they may want to reflect on whether they are doing anything to contribute to it. That's all.

Obviously, no one needs therapy because they are involved in a couple of heated exchanges on a message board. The therapy comment was a fact specific to my friend (it was a true story, BTW), and probably a detail I should have left out.
Insta: @lofiwineguy

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3207 Post by Rich Brown » September 2nd, 2020, 8:25 am

Yep, those are all great points and I 100% agree! I love it when we get new posters on WB who are passionate about wine and enjoy getting involved (in a positive/non-attacking way) with the discussions!

However, I do think its important to point out that it is definitley NOT common for threads to have such a 'us vs. them' vibe. It would be a damn shame and really counter productive for this whole board if new posters got the feeling that they had to 'pick sides' in every thread.. obviously people will disagree and thats totally fine.....but it would be great to try and keep WB as inclusive as possible :)

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3208 Post by Rich Brown » September 2nd, 2020, 8:29 am

Troy Stark wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 8:19 am
If what people took from my story was that I was suggesting MatthewT get therapy, then I owe everyone, especially Matthew T, an apology. That was not the intent of the story.

What I was trying to say, apparently unsuccessfully, is that if someone finds themselves at the center of drama or arguments, they may want to reflect on whether they are doing anything to contribute to it. That's all.

Obviously, no one needs therapy because they are involved in a couple of heated exchanges on a message board. The therapy comment was a fact specific to my friend (it was a true story, BTW), and probably a detail I should have left out.
For the record, I did not at all think you were suggesting anyone needed therapy [cheers.gif]

Toby P

#3209 Post by Toby P » September 2nd, 2020, 8:34 am

Yup! And Troy, didn't mean to shame you or anything, pretty sure you were just trying to mediate. Speaking for myself here (prob meaningless but whatever) your response is appreciated, as is all the really good insider knowledge you've dropped in this thread. Super value-add for me as someone who knows little about the business.

$200 for $18 time!! JK, I really could use a week of not buying wine. $25 for $8 time!
P r a t t

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3210 Post by MatthewT » September 2nd, 2020, 8:38 am

The rewriting of history is rich (no pun intended). I have *never* had a problem with people pushing back on this business model or venture in an honest and constructive way. In fact, the person who is MOST VOCAL with the pushback, Justin (HoosJustinG), has said he has never felt hostility from me. I myself have questioned many things about de Negoce in this very thread. The idea that I'm a fanboy who crushes dissent is downright laughable.

I didn't know there were so many snowflakes who took aim to me joking about "the haters". I thought it was very clear I was being hyperbolic and it was in good fun. I will never refer to the haters again! The horror. It was a catch all phrase to people who would pop up in this thread and have absolutely no interest in the venture AND drop info that's not true.

It would take two hands to count the number of people who have come in here and lobbed personal attacks against me simply for being passionate about the venture *and* defending what I view as disseminating false information. It just got exhausting after awhile. And I'm not going to do it anymore.

I'll repeat, the biggest most vocal critic in this thread has been Justin and he not only has seen nothing wrong with my tone but he welcomes my posts. Why do you think he's ok with it but a few of you are not?

I'm having fun. This is supposed to be fun. For the people actually BUYING the wines it might even be a little more fun since at the end of the day, that's what we're here for.

So this will be the last I say on the matter. I'll continue to post and have fun and anybody who lobs personal attacks at me will just be ignored. I definitely don't want this thread about me and thus why I stopped posting though somehow it won't seem to end.

#InCameronWeTrust #deNegoceForever #LongLivedeNegoce

champagne.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif
I'm a Turk

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3211 Post by Rodrigo B » September 2nd, 2020, 8:41 am

I think we beat the dead horse back to life and to death again on this topic. deadhorse deadhorse

Is it $200 for $18 time? Cam - send out an offer so we have new things to discuss!
B r a g a

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3212 Post by MatthewT » September 2nd, 2020, 8:45 am

Rodrigo B wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 8:41 am
I think we beat the dead horse back to life and to death again on this topic. deadhorse deadhorse

Is it $200 for $18 time? Cam - send out an offer so we have new things to discuss!
Odds of a deal today extremely high. 80%. Maybe higher. Wouldn't even rule out a 2 deal day. I'd say 45% that happens. Maybe 45.3324%.
I'm a Turk

Sean S y d n e y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3213 Post by Sean S y d n e y » September 2nd, 2020, 8:51 am

Welcome back, Matthew, and may flights of $200 for $18s be ever offered to thee. [cheers.gif]
Instagram: @seansydney

Toby P

#3214 Post by Toby P » September 2nd, 2020, 9:28 am

Btw has anyone heard anything on Washington / Oregon since it was mentioned back around late July / early Aug? Wonder if new email signups are still getting that in their welcome message. I assume we'd see it show up on that COLA registration site if anything was coming in the next few weeks
P r a t t

Troy Stark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3215 Post by Troy Stark » September 2nd, 2020, 9:32 am

Only COLAs so far are from CA.

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3216 Post by Jeff_M. » September 2nd, 2020, 9:33 am

MatthewT wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 8:45 am
Rodrigo B wrote:

Odds of a deal today extremely high. 80%. Maybe higher. Wouldn't even rule out a 2 deal day. I'd say 45% that happens. Maybe 45.3324%.
Legit question for you and sorry if it got asked before in this thread. How much storage room/space do you have available for all your DN purchases plus any other wine you are buying?
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3217 Post by MatthewT » September 2nd, 2020, 9:40 am

Jeff_M. wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 9:33 am
MatthewT wrote:
Rodrigo B wrote:

Legit question for you and sorry if it got asked before in this thread. How much storage room/space do you have available for all your DN purchases plus any other wine you are buying?
Yah it's come up a lot in here, no worries. I have ability to store 1000 bottles at home and am basically at capacity. I am signing up for OFF SITE STORAGE this month and will have all my de Negoce boxes shipped there. The cost will be about $2/bottle/year and I assume that into the price when I buy a case. This is why I am tending to stay away from the lower priced offerings as between 2-5 year storage and shipping costs as a % of the purchase price, it gets tough.

The hard part about the venture is a "legit" $50-$60 Napa cab *can* be amazing. So buying one for $10 or $12 if you can get comfortable with the producer, blender, etc., can be worth it still. I think offer #1 is exactly that situation and the reviews for that have generally been outstanding. Cameron sold 6000! cases of #1. I believe strongly that was essentially a shiner. In the San Fran article he said the wine is "exact". Given the huge # of cases it seems like it was probably extra barrels from a large producer. My only point is I would gladly pay $10 for another #1 and pay for the shipping/storage costs.

When I'm approaching an offer now I'm trying to have a high threshold for "wow" to pull the trigger, given I'm at nearly 40 cases. I am fine with getting to 100 cases.
I'm a Turk

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3218 Post by Jeff_M. » September 2nd, 2020, 10:08 am

MatthewT wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 9:40 am
Jeff_M. wrote:
MatthewT wrote:

Yah it's come up a lot in here, no worries. I have ability to store 1000 bottles at home and am basically at capacity. I am signing up for OFF SITE STORAGE this month and will have all my de Negoce boxes shipped there. The cost will be about $2/bottle/year and I assume that into the price when I buy a case. This is why I am tending to stay away from the lower priced offerings as between 2-5 year storage and shipping costs as a % of the purchase price, it gets tough.

The hard part about the venture is a "legit" $50-$60 Napa cab *can* be amazing. So buying one for $10 or $12 if you can get comfortable with the producer, blender, etc., can be worth it still. I think offer #1 is exactly that situation and the reviews for that have generally been outstanding. Cameron sold 6000! cases of #1. I believe strongly that was essentially a shiner. In the San Fran article he said the wine is "exact". Given the huge # of cases it seems like it was probably extra barrels from a large producer. My only point is I would gladly pay $10 for another #1 and pay for the shipping/storage costs.

When I'm approaching an offer now I'm trying to have a high threshold for "wow" to pull the trigger, given I'm at nearly 40 cases. I am fine with getting to 100 cases.
I got caught up in buying lots of cases of cheaper wine and now I have two off site lockers plus my home cellar. Locker #2 is filling fairly quick. I have stayed away from DN so I don't end up with a 3rd locker and will be tightening up my buying as best as possible. Trying to drink down the cellar so I can back shift cases home and open up more space.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3219 Post by MatthewT » September 2nd, 2020, 10:10 am

Jeff_M. wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 10:08 am
MatthewT wrote:
Jeff_M. wrote:

I got caught up in buying lots of cases of cheaper wine and now I have two off site lockers plus my home cellar. Locker #2 is filling fairly quick. I have stayed away from DN so I don't end up with a 3rd locker and will be tightening up my buying as best as possible. Trying to drink down the cellar so I can back shift cases home and open up more space.
Yah I hear you. I would never store a $12-$18 bottle of wine. Shit, I don't even buy $12-$18 bottles of wine. I just don't view de Negoce as a $12-$18 bottles of wine. deadhorse deadhorse deadhorse

I view the current supply/demand imbalance as a once in decade+ opportunity to load up on some amazing deals and consume over next 5 years (mostly). I'm primarily a Cab drinker and have been for 20 years and not worried about style drift. In my day job I'm a value investor and I'm approaching this the exact same way. I see a dislocation in the market and I'm pouncing.
I'm a Turk

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3220 Post by Jeff_M. » September 2nd, 2020, 10:33 am

MatthewT wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 10:10 am
Jeff_M. wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 10:08 am
MatthewT wrote:

Yah I hear you. I would never store a $12-$18 bottle of wine. Shit, I don't even buy $12-$18 bottles of wine. I just don't view de Negoce as a $12-$18 bottles of wine. deadhorse deadhorse deadhorse

I view the current supply/demand imbalance as a once in decade+ opportunity to load up on some amazing deals and consume over next 5 years (mostly). I'm primarily a Cab drinker and have been for 20 years and not worried about style drift. In my day job I'm a value investor and I'm approaching this the exact same way. I see a dislocation in the market and I'm pouncing.
Same here for Cab. We have been using Zin and red field blends as cellar defenders to age our Cabernet from this past decade. I like 10 years minimum on my Cabs to get some type of age on them. Almost at that 10 year mark for the first vintages I started buying. This has been a great run for wine the last 8 years. 2020 is still up in the air with the fires and that really truly sucks for the industry.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3221 Post by Mike R » September 2nd, 2020, 10:36 am

MatthewT wrote:
In my day job I'm a value investor and I'm approaching this the exact same way. I see a dislocation in the market and I'm pouncing.
Speaking of market dislocations....
... 0 p 3 r

Todd M

#3222 Post by Todd M » September 2nd, 2020, 10:38 am

Cam - we know you're lurking here. Everyone is making nice, we've moved on, now how about you do your part and drop the rest of that $18 for $200 stuff you've been sitting on since Sunday!

Let's gooooo!!!!
Mc M a h o n

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3223 Post by MatthewT » September 2nd, 2020, 10:38 am

Mike R wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 10:36 am
MatthewT wrote:
In my day job I'm a value investor and I'm approaching this the exact same way. I see a dislocation in the market and I'm pouncing.
Speaking of market dislocations....
Now you see why I spend all day on this message board talking de Negoce! Compared to my portfolio/market, this is child's play!
I'm a Turk

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3224 Post by MatthewT » September 2nd, 2020, 10:40 am

Todd M wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 10:38 am
Cam - we know you're lurking here. Everyone is making nice, we've moved on, now how about you do your part and drop the rest of that $18 for $200 stuff you've been sitting on since Sunday!

Let's gooooo!!!!
Cam is probably busy getting restraining orders on a dozen people in this thread (me included).

That said, it's true Cam. Only you have the power to alter this thread with a sweet, sweet, 200 for 18. Or maybe Bert. Not sure Bert has any say on when the offers are released. Maybe we should be sucking up to Bert?
I'm a Turk

Troy Stark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3225 Post by Troy Stark » September 2nd, 2020, 10:59 am

MatthewT wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 10:40 am
Maybe we should be sucking up to Bert?
Behind every great marketing/sales person there's an operator who actually does the work and can make your life easier or harder. I think this is a good strategy. [snort.gif]

ThomasH

#3226 Post by ThomasH » September 2nd, 2020, 11:04 am

Bert!!
Knucklingharwood

Christopher Dunn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3227 Post by Christopher Dunn » September 2nd, 2020, 11:13 am

Sean S y d n e y wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 7:02 am
Todd M wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 6:32 am
Just a quick observation here gang, but this thread has become a bit boring since MatthewT left. I think that stinks as this thread has lost something.

Everyone knew dN was a bit of gamble, a fun roll of the dice. You didn't know exactly what you were getting, didn't know exactly when it would drop (except for 40), but it was a fun distraction during a time when distractions are pretty valuable. Coming to this board and reading the back and forth regarding possible origin, early tasting notes, speculation on what was coming next - it was fun. Now it's a bit of poop show. And why? Because people didn't like Matt's enthusiasm or otherwise wanted to be a funsucker? There were a few folks here who seemed like they couldn't wait to tell everyone why the deals couldn't be what others thought they might be, or couldn't wait to demonstrate how smart and sophisticated their wine knowledge was. And it went downhill from there and denigrated into personal attacks, name calling, blah, blah, blah. Not fun (or good reading).

It is what it is, but maybe next time someone feels like posting something snarky (securely behind the anonymity of an online message board), maybe just hold the thought and let it pass.

Peace out gang and I hope you all enjoy whatever wine makes you happy. Cheers and happy drinking.
There is a difference between enthusiasm between acting personally aggrieved when someone has a view contrary to yours. Calling everyone with a different or skeptical opinion of your particular fascination a "hater" is also making it personal because you're accusing them of having a vendetta and sinister motives rather than just acknowledging that not everyone is quite as moved by okay-to-very-good mystery Cab and the business model that pushes it, or that we find it interesting from a different angle.

I'd be happy for him to come back - come back, MatthewT, I know you're reading this! - and I don't think anyone should feel like they have to withdraw from this board because of their views on any wine. But I think that allying yourself that closely with ANY enterprise/artist/person and viewing it/them as an extension of your identity isn't the best tack. If you're not on the payroll, it isn't your job. That's why I don't wear clothes with logos on them - because I'm not a billboard.

(Sorry to psychoanalyze you, Matt. Please come back.)
Agreed, Sean. To me, there's a distinction between a "hater" (and I agree with your definition) and a skeptic. Until I have the wines in hand, in glass, and am tasting them, I am skeptical. I have bought several cases, so we'll see. I may go from skeptic to "hater" or from skeptic to fan. We will see. I think it's silly to have already made up one's mind. As for the poster in question, it matters little to me if he comes back or not.

David Buck

#3228 Post by David Buck » September 2nd, 2020, 11:15 am

john mccarty wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 11:10 pm
J. Patrick Lynch wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 3:03 pm
tpetty wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 2:55 pm
How do you know what offerings are upcoming? How do you know that #48 is a pinot? (Or is this just a guess/example) Is there a master list somewhere available?
- Cab
42 - Cab
43 - Cab
44 - Cab
45 - Merlot
46 - Cab
47 - Cab
48 - Pinot
51 - Cab Franc
52 - Cab Franc
53 - Merlot
54 - Cab
62 - Chard

dN has to register their labels ahead of time.
except that 42 and 44 have already been released, and several numbers in the sequence haven't been assigned, so the "next 20" list really looks like this:
41 - Cab
43 - Cab
45 - Merlot
46 - Cab
47 - Cab
48 - Pinot
49 - TBD
50 - TBD
51 - Cab Franc
52 - Cab Franc
53 - Merlot
54 - Cab
55 - TBD
56 - TBD
57 - TBD
58 - TBD
59 - TBD
60 - TBD
61 - TBD
62 - Chard

9 TBD's, 5 cabs, 2 merlot's, 1 pinot, 2 cab franc, and 1 chard, although Cam has said at least 2 more chards coming our way in the near term, so at least one of the TBD's is a chard. He also claimed in a recent xview that he was targeting ~100 releases by end of year. If true, he'll actually have to step up the pace a bit, as they've been coming at about 10 per month (42 over ~4 months).
I would say the next HOT releases are the Cab Francs...51 & 52. Reading real wine nerds think Franc better than Cab..Will pick up a case if its a 200 dollar one...

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3229 Post by MatthewT » September 2nd, 2020, 11:41 am

Holy Grail steaks came from the "de Negoce" special and the packing was impeccable and the steaks look amazing. Considering ordering another set.
I'm a Turk

Troy Stark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3230 Post by Troy Stark » September 2nd, 2020, 12:41 pm

The other board darling for dry aged steaks is Flannery. I think they're running 20% off CA ribeyes and 25% off Midwest Hangers right now. Just another option to investigate.

Back on track; where's our offer???

EAScrog
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3231 Post by EAScrog » September 2nd, 2020, 12:44 pm

larry schaffer wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 8:08 am
My hope is that the tone of the thread does not 'scare off' many that are new to the board or those that have pervasively been 'lurkers only'. The board needs new voices and opinions all of the time, and this thread has assisted in bringing in some new folks.

Cheers.
It has definitely brought in some new folks; I'm one of them. After a family member expressed dismay that I'd bought TWO CASES of wine without tasting them (horrors!), I went in search of more info about de Negoce and found this forum. Right after that I bought another case. Then I joined Jonathan's Bay Area wine buying group.
Because I'm pretty much SIP'd, I had the time to look around on WB. There are a LOT of different folks on these pages; many levels of knowledge and most folks are pretty nice. Although I've been enjoying wine since the Annie Green Springs days, I plan on asking some dumb questions :)

Two weeks ago, I visited Larry's tasting room in Los Olivos because I happened to be in the area (Larry, I need some more Gewurtz and Mourvedre Rose please flirtysmile Might need more of the other two as soon as I open them ) I would never have dropped by without him posting on WB. My daughter goes to some of the bigger wineries on the Central Coast, and her friend's husband runs the tasting room for one of the higher end places in the area. So she tends not to go to the smaller more boutique places. WB introduced me to Larry's delicious wines, and if you get a chance to visit, his tasting room is different and fun.

So to my mind, one of the best benefits of this site is opening up opportunities to find out about new wines. If we like some of the secret wines from dN, maybe we'll go back to the region they came from, visit the wineries and buy directly from them. It's sure a lot more entertaining than buying wine from Costco.

Lots of fun on this board
Oh yeah, I figure I already got my money's worth, so I paid my dues and now I'm in the Cru [dance-clap.gif]
E l i z a b e t h

2020 is a layer cake of stress-inducing events. Have a glass of wine! [cheers.gif]

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3232 Post by MatthewT » September 2nd, 2020, 12:55 pm

EAScrog wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 12:44 pm
larry schaffer wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 8:08 am

Cheers.
It has definitely brought in some new folks; I'm one of them. After a family member expressed dismay that I'd bought TWO CASES of wine without tasting them (horrors!), I went in search of more info about de Negoce and found this forum. Right after that I bought another case. Then I joined Jonathan's Bay Area wine buying group.
Because I'm pretty much SIP'd, I had the time to look around on WB. There are a LOT of different folks on these pages; many levels of knowledge and most folks are pretty nice. Although I've been enjoying wine since the Annie Green Springs days, I plan on asking some dumb questions :)

Two weeks ago, I visited Larry's tasting room in Los Olivos because I happened to be in the area (Larry, I need some more Gewurtz and Mourvedre Rose please flirtysmile Might need more of the other two as soon as I open them ) I would never have dropped by without him posting on WB. My daughter goes to some of the bigger wineries on the Central Coast, and her friend's husband runs the tasting room for one of the higher end places in the area. So she tends not to go to the smaller more boutique places. WB introduced me to Larry's delicious wines, and if you get a chance to visit, his tasting room is different and fun.

So to my mind, one of the best benefits of this site is opening up opportunities to find out about new wines. If we like some of the secret wines from dN, maybe we'll go back to the region they came from, visit the wineries and buy directly from them. It's sure a lot more entertaining than buying wine from Costco.

Lots of fun on this board
Oh yeah, I figure I already got my money's worth, so I paid my dues and now I'm in the Cru [dance-clap.gif]
Welcome Elisabeth! You're in a safe space unless your name is MatthewT! Glad to have you on board. The nice benefit of the Cru is in Jan the website does a 1 say wine sale where wineries can post offers w/ no middle man fees taken by Wineberserkers and if you are Cru you get access to many of the offers a day early. That is why I originally found this website, not to post. Little did I know that I'd gladly have paid the $25 to get the ads removed.
I'm a Turk

EAScrog
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3233 Post by EAScrog » September 2nd, 2020, 1:30 pm

Matthew T, Agree completely!! Getting the ads removed is definitely worth the $25
E l i z a b e t h

2020 is a layer cake of stress-inducing events. Have a glass of wine! [cheers.gif]

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3234 Post by Jeff_M. » September 2nd, 2020, 1:42 pm

Troy Stark wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 12:41 pm
The other board darling for dry aged steaks is Flannery. I think they're running 20% off CA ribeyes and 25% off Midwest Hangers right now. Just another option to investigate.

Back on track; where's our offer???
Just put in a NICE order for the ribeyes and hangers. Those are house favorites. Flannery steaks + cabs are our deal here.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3235 Post by Michael Martin » September 2nd, 2020, 1:45 pm

The $25 is well worth it for Berserker Day benefits as well.

Speaking of, I wonder if Cameron plans a dN offering that day.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3236 Post by Rich Brown » September 2nd, 2020, 2:04 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 1:45 pm
The $25 is well worth it for Berserker Day benefits as well.

Speaking of, I wonder if Cameron plans a dN offering that day.
Absolutley! Small price to pay for all the people you get to meet here, the knowledge that you can gain.....and definitley Berserker Day.

And a Cameron Hughes offer on BD would be awesome! Would love an old school library release of his Private Reserve bottles. Those were killer wines for the price- 2012 being my fave.

EAScrog
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3237 Post by EAScrog » September 2nd, 2020, 2:30 pm

Is there a Berserker Day tutorial to learn how to participate in the best way?
E l i z a b e t h

DanielP
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3238 Post by DanielP » September 2nd, 2020, 2:32 pm

EAScrog wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 2:30 pm
There is usually an FAQ thread that is up in the weeks leading up to the day. Definitely nothing to worry about until the new year.
P@ik

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3239 Post by Rich Brown » September 2nd, 2020, 2:32 pm

EAScrog wrote:
There is! Go to the 'board index', and you'll find a thread about the last Berserker Day. Lots of good stuff there!

Also, Todd and team will send out plenty of info leading into the next one in 2021, so you will be good to go [cheers.gif]

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3240 Post by Nate Simon » September 2nd, 2020, 2:33 pm

DanielP wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 2:32 pm
EAScrog wrote:
There is usually an FAQ thread that is up in the weeks leading up to the day. Definitely nothing to worry about until the new year.
...and that, my friends, is what we folks around here call "thread drift."
champagne.gif

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3241 Post by Rich Brown » September 2nd, 2020, 2:36 pm

Nate Simon wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 2:33 pm
DanielP wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 2:32 pm
EAScrog wrote:
...and that, my friends, is what we folks around here call "thread drift."
champagne.gif
I mean....if you're going to be a regular poster here....its a key skill that you need to learn ;)

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3242 Post by MatthewT » September 2nd, 2020, 2:38 pm

flirtysmile flirtysmile flirtysmile The old boys club on here is so adorable flirtysmile flirtysmile flirtysmile

One day I hope to get my jacket!
I'm a Turk

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3243 Post by JonathanG » September 2nd, 2020, 3:06 pm

I think now that Cam and Bert see that MT is back on the thread, they are gearing up for another offer. 50% chance its today, 80% chance its tomorrow. 100% chance its when I'm on a conference call/zoom session and will have to make up an excuse to put everyone on hold to text my buying group for their requests!
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3244 Post by Rich Brown » September 2nd, 2020, 3:53 pm

MatthewT wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 2:38 pm
flirtysmile flirtysmile flirtysmile The old boys club on here is so adorable flirtysmile flirtysmile flirtysmile

Nah. Don’t be jealous buddy......you don’t want to be like all us silly, truth-bending ‘snowflakes’ anyway.

Would it make you feel better if we ended all of our posts with ‘Come on $200 for $18!!’ ;)

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3245 Post by Rodrigo B » September 2nd, 2020, 4:26 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 3:53 pm
MatthewT wrote:

Nah. Don’t be jealous buddy......you don’t want to be like all us silly, truth-bending ‘snowflakes’ anyway.

Would it make you feel better if we ended all of our posts with ‘Come on $200 for $18!!’ ;)
I thought that anyone who didn’t end their post in that way was automatically banned from the thread

Come on $200 for $18!!
B r a g a

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3246 Post by Rich Brown » September 2nd, 2020, 4:30 pm

Rodrigo B wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 4:26 pm
Rich Brown wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 3:53 pm
MatthewT wrote:

I thought that anyone who didn’t end their post in that way was automatically banned from the thread

Come on $200 for $18!!
[rofl.gif]

Ha ha! That was awesome. Rookie move on my part for sure!

COME ON $200 FOR $18!!!

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3247 Post by MatthewT » September 2nd, 2020, 5:06 pm

It would probably be more accurate to end the post with:

COME ON $200 FOR $18 THAT'S REALLY $18 FOR $18 THAT I'M MOST LIKELY NOT BUYING!!!
I'm a Turk

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3248 Post by Robert M yers » September 2nd, 2020, 5:37 pm

tpetty wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 2:55 pm
How do you know what offerings are upcoming? How do you know that #48 is a pinot? (Or is this just a guess/example) Is there a master list somewhere available?
Page 4

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3249 Post by Mike R » September 2nd, 2020, 5:40 pm

I can't understand what is taking so long. Lets go CAM!!!!

200 for 18!!
... 0 p 3 r

Leonard Maran

#3250 Post by Leonard Maran » September 2nd, 2020, 7:52 pm

“I didn't know there were so many snowflakes who took aim to me joking about "the haters.”’
Matthew T

For me It isn’t about “haters” but your use of the aforementioned term “snowflakes“ generally refers to “liberals” : politics have no place here and I think it is often adolescent, akin to adding a “tard” to a word.

Return to “Wine Talk”