TN: 2005 Belle Pente Estate Reserve Pinot Noir, Oregon

2005 Belle Pente Estate Reserve Pinot Noir, Oregon
Mellow baking spice and subtle cloves, soft leather notes, underbrush and purposeful fruit leaning towards black cherry and briar berries, favoring darker facets. The attack is bright, vivid and beautifully integrated adding hints of cranberry. Lovely length and balance as the fruit persists in to the finish. Love the acidity. Still some tannic grip as it finishes true to its initial promises. The oak has completely meshed. Unlike the “drink now” 2004, this wine has 5+ years ahead of it. Great example of a 15 year old Oregon Pinot.

RT

Sounds great. I love 2005s in general, what a year.

Ditto

Probably my favorite vintage for current drinking…with 2007 not far behind. I have high hopes for 2010 and 2011 in a few years. Need to start peeking at 2008 more frequently…once I dig them out.

RT

Drinking well in quarantine, I see! I’m glad to see the ‘05’s coming into their own. They were closed down hard at the ‘05 blind Pinot tasting that you hosted in 2010. It would be fun to repeat that tasting.

I would agree regarding 2005. I think that the age worthy 2005’s are near or close to peaking, but will probably hold steady a few more years.

James

Sounds really great, Richard. I need some OR Pinot with age on it. That is my next quest. Cheers.

Cheers Greg. Wish they were still in the cellar! Looking forward to sharing some with you post-pandemic.

RT

Hope you find some. Otherwise…buy a bunch of 17s and forget them for 10 years!

RT

Plus 1

2007 is also coming into its own right now.

I loved this ‘05 recently. No notes because the rare grilled salmon enjoyed with it was just too good a combination. But definitely drinking perfectly, yet more years left in it.
F520A927-C8EF-4631-9A3E-390486D9EFFD.jpeg

Nice. I’ve always thought of the Grive as the lightest wine in the lineup…not the least. I’m sitting on some '10s and '11s but nothing older. Still have some '05 EW 7 Springs that’s been tempting me for years.

RT

I have the better part of a case of 10 Les Puits Sec. With age it has opened up and when it is on it is a stunner.

John, very cool. I worked harvest there in 2005, a fantastic year for Evesham Wood (despite my minor help!). Was my first Oregon harvest, learned a ton that year for sure.

+1 on buying and holding 2017. Reminds me of the good aging years that weren’t critic darlings at the outset, maybe a mix of '01 and '05 in profile. '01s aged great on their acids and truly blossomed. '05s had more out of the gate but it wasn’t a critical darling year, but it’s maybe my favorite vintage of the last 20. '17 is up there in terms of interest and delineation. They may not be the most powerful wines but I love how they feel and how I think they’ll unfold.

If we could get it together with my ‘05 LPS and Cuvée J it’d be quite an evening.

Man, I can just see you and Russ working together, too! Great choice on where to start off.

Phil Franks introduced me to Belle Pente Murto years ago, and I finally bought some (‘15) to try my damnedest to hold on to for some time. Amazing wines. I’m finding myself very firmly headed in the Oregon camp as my favorite domestic region for Burgundy varietals, with this producer and the myriad of amazing producers I’ve discovered during BerserkerDay and the Quarantine Relief Forum

Some years in Oregon, the PNs never seemed to shut down at all, for instance '02, '04, and the '06s and '09s that tended ripe. The '05s really were shut down for a long time, almost mirroring the '05 Burgundy. I’ve been sampling the '05s increasingly over the last two years, and they are coming around nicely, but still slowly. For the better wines there is no hurry at all.

I opened a Patricia Green Estate Old Vines last night, inspired by the Belle Pente tasting note. Like all the '05s, it shows the savory side of PN, while adequate acidity maintains afresh impression, even after 15 years. The fruit ranges from citrus and rhubarb through a deeper plum, but without the pie cherry notes that are often prominent.

Interesting post, Peter. I didn’t start exploring Oregon Pinot Noir until around 2003/2004. My gateway elixir of choice was the 2000 Witness Tree Vintage Select. I don’t think that it ever substantively shut down. Unfortunately, I don’t have many ‘02’s and bought only a few ‘06’s and ‘09’s; hence, I don’t have a detailed take on those vintages.

Like you, RT’s tasting notes inspired me to open an older Patricia Green last weekend: 2001 Patricia Green Four Winds Vineyard Pinot Noir. (I need to get tasting notes posted.) Many of your comments about the ’05 PG Old Vines would apply to the ’01 PG Four Winds. Sadly, I don’t have the breadth of experience with Jim’s wines that I would like. So, I’m not sure if these similarities are indicative of a ‘house style’ or mere coincidence. It would be interesting to hear Jim’s comments on this, if he happens to see the post.