TN: 2018 Once & Future Wine Zinfandel Old Vine Old Hill Ranch

• 2018 Once & Future Wine Zinfandel Old Vine Old Hill Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (4/30/2020)
    My first time with a wine from OHR…a field blend of mostly Zin, as well as a mix of Grenache, Mataro, Alicante, Carignane…maybe 14 or so, according to Galloni. First thing that strikes me is the color…a brighter dark cherry red in color. The second thing that just FLAT OUT FLOORS ME…the NOSE! OMG…dusty cherry/sandalwood spices, red licorice, fresh crushed cherry/raspberry, brambly tilled raspberry patch, white pepper…deep, fresh, exotic! In the mouth…the youthful structure is not as giving as the nose. Tight, and in need of some air…splash decanted…came back, and yes…here we go! As with the nose, the brightness of fresh crushed red berries, and exotics translate to the palate…very subtle and somewhat feminine…especially for a Zin…reminds me of some Turley Hayne in that way. The florals and earth…deepness of the exotics spices are intoxicating…smooth and creamy, yet has some grainy crushed rock minerality, dusty dry oak barrel spiced tannins…makes for a pretty cool and pleasing texture. Finishes long, exotically spiced, and lingering. Good thing I bought a few of these…totally try one NOW…but can see this aging out beautifully for decades! What a wine! (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

Thanks for the note, Buzz! Just checked and I cannot access one for the upcoming Zoom meeting…but I will figure something else out!
Cheers,
JP

Thanks Buzz. I preferred this wine on the first night as you can see by my signature line. Eyes closed I was picking up Mataro and even Syrah spice. Truly amazing bottle. I’m going to wait a year before trying another and then hold based on those findings.

I know where I stashed my bottles of this. Will snag one for the tasting…or some other fantastic bottle from Joel…or Morgan.

Too many choices!!

Man, this wine sounds awesome!! Per usual, your note makes me wanna run to the cellar and pop a bottle right now Buzz. Very happy to have a few of these in the cellar. At some point, I want to open one next to Morgans version, which I think would be really fun (next week during the Zoom tasting!?!?)

What’s up with the wine teardrop in my back label pics? Looks like they like going down in the SAME spot over the &!! The second pic was almost 3yrs ago…to the day! Weird! [wow.gif]

Welp…at least you’re consistent Buzz :wink:

Do you store and pour front label up? That would explain it.

Have these in my off site, which looks like a good thing so I can get some age on them. Have several from Joel and Morgan.

Well that didn’t last long…so much for aging these out a bunch of years…2018’s all gone! Drinkin my last bottle now…I keep chasing that amazing nose from the first bottle, but I was never able to get there in these others. Might be slumbering…more muted and showing more green hay bale. Palate is tight as well…probably will open up in a few hours but I’m thirsty. Still has wonderful Zin-ness…gorgeously silky and red fruited…exotic spices and florals…just not “popping” like it did right out the gate! Hold these…I’ll look for them at auction in 5yrs. 93pts

Ps. Wife and I got a kick out of the grapes being harvested on our 21st wedding anniversary!

1 Like

I also gave Old Hill a 93 point rating recently… for a vintage only 25 years older. So yes, it ages.

Reposted from the OL at Uncle Lou in NY a few weeks ago:
“1993 Ravenswood Zinfandel Sonoma Valley ‘Old Hill Vineyard’ -
The aromas were fully secondary, no hint of excess age. The palate offered roses, brambles, then currants. This bottle did the Zinfandel to Claret trick exceptionally well. Not just polite, but elegant. Rated 93.”

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

Good to know Dan! I actually have that wine, along with the 92, in the cellar from Joel’s library sale! Looking forward to them! I like the “no hint of excess age” comment. :+1:

1 Like

Great tasting note - I can visualize the enjoyment!!

Love to do a compare of some Old Hills i started purchasing over the last few years. In addition to O&F, I also have Bedrock, Bucklin, and Carlisle bottlings. I don’t have an overlap of all for the same vintage. Did Bedrock not make an Old Hill in 21? Maybe i goofed and didnt pick it up in error.

Will pop an 18 O&F soon to compare to Buzz’s experience.

Yep, Bedrock did indeed produce an Old Hill in 2021 :cheers:

1 Like