Producers you wish you had more of

Lately I’ve found myself constantly wishing I had more from certain producers after having a bottle of their wines.

Some are obvious, others not so much.

Obvious:

Hudelot-Noellat: stunning in recent years
Mugneret-Giborg: always fantastic, even from humble sites
Dirty and Rowdy: everything Hardy Wallace touches turns to gold

Less Obvious:

Marchand-Tawse/Domaine Tawse/Maume: a bit hard to nail down what’s actually domaine and what’s purchased fruit but almost always delicious.

Whats domaine or purchased is on their website

Producers I already own which I’d like more of:

Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey
Dom Pérignon
Vietti
Weingut Keller
Corison
Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande
Taittinger

1 Like

There are two ways I can think about this. One is sort of a blue sky way where I could buy whatever I want. In that sense, I’d love to have more of some favorites so I could drink things like Chave Hermitage regularly rather than maybe a couple times a year. The other way is to assume my finances are as they are, and consider if my cellar reflects what I want. In that sense I’m quite happy, as for the past ten or so years I’ve been trying very hard to collect a pretty select set of wines that I really love, and avoiding a more shotgun approach that I might have had in the past. I made a list of producers I could afford and I’ve tried to keep most of my buying to those, other than some daily drinkers. That has resulted in a situation where given the money I spend, I wouldn’t realistically buy more Dujac, or Chave, or La Conseillante, than I do. I still can’t drink those all that frequently, but when I drink high end wines, they are the estates I really love. I guess the ones I miss are those that are a bit out of my reach, like Selosse and Yquem. I have a few bottles but they’re not on my approved list.

To me, the answer would be producers whose wines I’ve tasted and enjoyed but are either allocated/hard to find or prohibitively expensive:

1. Raveneau
  2. Ramonet
  3. VCC

I would love to have more backfilled 89-90 BDX which have consistently performed well for me the last few years (Pichon Baron, Conseillante, for example). I would also love to have some N. Rhone from the late 90s early 00s , esp Jamet and Chave.

Right now I’m trying to bolster my white burgundy section. I keep thinking about the ethereal lightness of a bottle of 2017 Etienne Sauzet Puligny Montrachet Hameau de Blagny that Wiliiam Kelley was so kind to share. I’m looking for those wines with a balance of acidity and sweet vanilla/pastry cream, weightless but concentrated at the same time. Come to think of it, I’ll add Dancer to my list. And more Corton-Charlemagne in general!

I mean, I can tolerate lack of variety more than most ppl, but how often would you really want to drink Chave? Once a month? More often?

yeah, like “pie in the sky” cause if that’s the case, I want all the D’Auvenay and Liger Belair in the world :smiley:

Yep, I’ve had D’Auvenay twice courtesy of Herwig and it’s the most unique and impressive stuff I’ve tasted.

Lack of variety? Have you tasted Chave across vintages and age? There is huge variety but with a common thread. I just drank the 1992 Hermitage on Tuesday. The previous bottles I had were 1989 and 2002. None of these are anywhere near the same, but they are all classic Chave in their way.

love me some 89 chave. I could drink that multiple times a month, especially with the bottle variation [snort.gif] [snort.gif] [snort.gif] [snort.gif] [snort.gif]

Truchot, Engel, Puffeney, Chateau de Chorey, G. Conterno, and Clos Roche Blanche – the first two mainly so I might feel less reluctant about drinking them

I guess I’d really intended it to read more “which producers do you constantly think you should buy more of” rather than what I posted. Obviously most people could list wine they would like to have if price was no object; a cellar full of well-stored authentic Henri Jayer would be nice.

1 Like

I don’t have the names on-hand, because they are difficult to pronounce and rather long, but I have the labels and can search them if I really need to, but both are obscure and I’ve only found/seen once in my life: a weird Italian Dressner import that was wild and full of life, and (another) Italian wine from Umbria from an importer I only saw that one time whose wine was natural and vital. If I saw either of those again, I’d pounce.

To me the big names with high prices will always be around, everybody knows them, they are like the Swiss Franc: a currency, more than wine anymore. I don’t care about those. But the wines that seem as fleeting as the seasons…ahhh! L’chaim!

I bought a 2012 Arbois vin jaune years ago, not really knowing what it was… I was fascinated: whiskey like mouth with floral honey nose.

Anything made by Mike Smith!!

If limited to producers currently in my cellar:

1. Chave Cathelin, assuming I can acquire it at the low 3 digit pricing I paid in the late 90’s through early aughts.
  2. Huet (all vineyards, all sweetness levels)
  3. Roches Neuves: Marginale, Memories and FdP

If i had a quasi-infinite supply of pre 99 Chave? I’d gladly drink a bottle a week! Or more.

For me, at least thinking of producers who I buy already and that are currently making wine (i.e. the non Verset division), the answer is pretty easy:
Mugneret Gibourg
Mugnier
Dauvissat
Carillon (the BBM)
Allemand

Plenty of stuff I’d like to own, but I’ve excluded producers I don’t buy at all, even if I enjoy drinking them :slight_smile:

It is easy to mention all the most expensive producers in the world like DRC, Mugneret-Gibourg, Haut Brion, etc. And, of course, for me I would love to have more Truchot.

But, I am going to name a few wines that either I am buying more of over time and/or are harder to find and I am buying them when I find them.

1. I am buying more Champagne over time and I love Taittinger CdC. My shipments this spring from Envoyer seemed to be dominated by Champagne. I expect to have more Taittinger CdC and Delamotte over time.

2. I am finding that of Cotes du Beaune reds, other than Volnay, I think my favorite village has all of a sudden gotten to be Chassagne-Montrachet. I buy reds from Ramonet and Bernard Moreau when I find them but they are hard to find. I really wish I had more of these and especially more of these with age on them. If I had more of these and less Pommard I would be quite happy.

3. Two of my favorite German wine producers are Zilliken and Reinhold Haart. All of a sudden with the demise of Rudy Wiest Selections it is hard to find these wines in the US. I will be very glad when the supply chain is up and running again in a better way so I can get these wines more easily again and at good prices.

I love the wines of HN, but have been buying a good bit of them since the 2013 vintage. Just need them to mature.

Love MG, but unless you can buy them at the winery, this is like saying I wish I had more DRC, Rousseau Chambertin and Haut Brion.

I agree there are two ways to answer this. the “money is no object” answer and the “current finances” option.

current finances: I love the wines of Sicily for sticking to a budget. Occhipinti, Cos, Cornelissen, Terre Nere.
Oregon: I don’t think anyone can have enough Kelley Fox, Patricia Green, and Goodfellow. Would love to explore more of the offerings from Walter Scott, and Lingua Franca.
Burgundy: Hudelot, Bize, Barthod, Pataille, Montille. would love some with more age.
Rhone: Faury. such a great option thats not price explosion yet
Italy: Produttori, Brovia, Vajra, Allessandria
California: I agree with OP, Hardy just makes fantastic wine. ive loved every bottle ive opened.

Dream Finances
there’s a ton but ill keep it to a few in each category
Oregon doesn’t change. I just want more KF, PG, and Goodfellow.
Burgundy would be similar producers to what I own, but working into their “bigger” bottlings. would like a chance to try at least 1-2 grand cru from most villages.
Rhone: Allemand and Chave at the top of the list. never had either.
Italy: G Rinaldi, old Giacosa, Mascarello. Sometime in my life I’d love to try a Soldera.
California: Easy one, Montebello. Would also love some Corison with some age on it.

1 Like