Covid-19 everyday drinker master thread

Thought it would be fun to list some of the everyday drinkers we are all drinking while in lock-up.

Some of mine have been:

2014 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Bourgogne Blanc - Excellent Bourgogne blanc. Youngish color. Excellent flavors. Liked this a good bit.

2007 G.D. Vajra Barolo Albe - I think I paid less than $30 for this and it is a really nice wine. Good richness, but still a bit young.

2007 Selbach-Oster Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Spätlese - Beautiful wine at the height of maturity. Liked this one a good bit.

2012 Albert Morot Beaune 1er Cru Teurons - Nice wine with very pretty Burgundy flavors but not enough to it. Good, not great.

2012 Somek Bik’at HaNadiv - Rich wine but not over the top. Not the most complex wine in the world, but loved it for its beautiful rich fruit. Probably as good a wine from Israel as I have had.

2017 Bernard Moreau Bourgogne Blanc - Along with the 2007 Vajra Albe probably my favorite wine on this list. Just a perfect Bourgogne Blanc. Not terribly complex but beautiful flavors and a medium finish. Really well balanced. A beautiful $25 white Burgundy.

2004 Müller-Catoir Gimmeldinger Mandelgarten Riesling Spätlese - Seemed mature and not over the hill. Liked the color and the fruit, but no finish. Expected more.

2005 Jean-Luc Dubois Savigny-lès-Beaune Les Picotins - Elegant wine for a Savigny wine. Very pretty Burgundy flavors. A bit on the lighter side. I liked this. My wife loved it - she said it tasted like being in Burgundy.

2012 Clau De Nell Cabernet Franc Anjou - Very nice wine. Nice richness and balance. Not much complexity. A good not great Loire Cab Franc.

2013 G.D. Vajra Langhe Freisa Kyè - My first Freisa. Had good fruit but a lot of harshness. Not my type of wine. Do these improve with more age? Would rather get the Albe.

1983 René Muré Gewurztraminer Clos Saint Landelin Sélection de Grains Nobles - Really dark brown color. From the color, I thought this would be dead. But, it actually was pretty tasty. A pleasant surprise.

2001 Freiherr Langwerth von Simmern Erbacher Marcobrunn Riesling Kabinett - Over the hill. Don’t know if it because of a less than perfect cork - seepage on the bottle. It was still ok, but this wine was better 10 years ago.

2015 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvèdre FAMILIAR - Very nice flavors and balance. Light for a Mourvedre, but my guess is intentionally so to be in a more Beaujolais style. Much improved over the last time I had this a couple of years ago. Will it improve further - not enough experience with this wine to know. Still a bit closed so maybe.

2019 D&R Especial Old Friends Red
2013 Francois Lumpp A Vigne Rouge
2017 Hudelot Noellat Bourgogne Rouge
2015 Ghislaine Barthod Bourgogne Rouge
2017 Anne and Hevre Sigaut Chambolle Musigny Bussieres

How is the 2017 HN? I have had other of his 2017s and really liked them, but not this one.

I dont drink every day but the ones I am drinking most often are
Jouan msd vv
Barthod batons
Mix of champagnes
Mix of rieslings

Excellent. Less structured and more cheerful/generous than the 16 which is a good thing, to me. Sort of like the 15, but a touch lighter bodied.

Lots of NV champagne
Bedrock OVZ
Various trocken riesling
Goodfellow PN and chard (have been drinking single vineyard bottles but just got my mixed case of cellar defenders)

2017 Antoine Sanzay Saumur Champigny - Upon first taste, with no decant, I thought I had it pegged as all primary cassis fruit and loads of graphite and ink. About 40 mins in, I noticed the graphite transformed into a more floral note. Eventually this floral note of elderflower became the top note, even dominating the cassis. I did a quick double decant for the second glass. This showed that there’s loads of sediment in the bottle (I think it might still be macerating). That said, it’s completely clean; no brett, lactobacillus, oak, nor green pyrazines could be detected at all. It now has a top note of elderflower, a middle note of graphite and a base note of cassis and spearmint. Some velvety tannins on the finish. Short to medium finish. More sweet and floral than earthy and savory where I prefer the latter.

2015 Qupé Chardonnay Block Eleven Bien Nacido - A study on malolatic fermentation. Too sweet and fruity for most applications but paired well with green Thai pineapple curry

2016 Comando G La Bruja de Rozas - Still not my cup of tea in that I think they want to make pinot noir instead of grenache–but paired okay with mole and chicken tamales. If I really try I can get some menthol, cinnamon, and pepper with generic red fruit. There are more tannins in this than the first bottle I opened–but they are completely gone on day two. It’s too thin and light for what I like from this area and grape. It would be much more interesting with some stem inclusion and a bit riper. I just can’t help to think this wine is boring and more aging will make it more boring. It’s like they were trying to make a Burgundy but missed the herbal notes and tobacco that I want from a wine like this. I tend to be AFWE–but this is just boring.

2016 Emmanuel Darnaud St. Joseph Dardouille - Love this producer. One of the more pepper filled syrahs out there.

2014 Les Héritiers du Comte Lafon Saint Véran–boring but paired well with lobster and morels, taking a backseat.

2016 K.H. Schneider Sobernheim Riesling Roter Tonschiefer trocken Germany - Wonderful stuff! Paired with scallops and artichokes.

2013 Bedrock Wine Co. Heritage Wine Gibson Ranch - Found this to be bland, over oaked, and too fruit forward. If I were a blind taster, I’d say this was a cheap cab, a bit over extracted, and with way too much new oak.

NV Diebolt-Vallois Champagne Cuvée Prestige Blanc de Blancs - Good QPR. Paired with lobster ravioli.

2013 Roagna Langhe Rosso - This was still a tannic monster with not much pleasure yet. This should be used to to teach nebbiolo typicality. Tar, roses, hairy tannins, with just a little red fruit.

2016 Franck Balthazar Côtes du Rhône France - Not made to age but perfect for a week night wine. Soft tannin with some noticeable stem inclusion. Great QPR

2014 K.H. Schneider Sobernheimer Domberg Riesling trocken - Wonderful nose full on honeysuckle and jasmine maybe the slightest lime peel. About the same on the palate with some lanolin. Nice long finish. Not sure how it will age. Not a ton of fruit to start with:
https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/mid-month-tasting-notes-corona-edition-april-2020/160085/9

1994 Weingut Hermann Ludes Klüsserather Bruderschaft Riesling Auslese - One of the best wines of the year. Ecstatic that I still have 8 more bottles of this! Just a perfect wine. I must have pleased the pagan gods on this Easter!

1999 Francois Gay Chorey-les-Beaune - Started with lots of earthy notes, leaves and chanterelle. Within an hour that transformed more into soy and worcestershire. Not much or any fruit left. Drink up. Paired with Easter lamb

2014 Once & Future Wine Petite Sirah Palisades Vineyard - Someone on cellartracker said this was in it’s prime drinking window and was drinking beautifully so I opened a bottle; they lied. Nose of blue berries, varnish, and orange rind. Not much going on yet. Still firm tannin and lots of acid. Still a baby and hopefully bit shut down. Short acidic finish.

1998 Château Raymond-Lafon - Lovely stuff! Can’t believe they were almost giving this away.

2008 Jacques Defrance Champagne Brut Millésimé - A lot of green apple on the nose but somehow not tart at all. Just a bit of oxidative notes. Base notes is mostly figs. Just lovely. I think this is right in its prime.

2006 Betz Family Clos de Betz - Dark color and more opaque than transparent but thinner than I remember. Primary notes are more floral, like honeysuckle, than fruit. Still some stewed cherries poking through. Just a bit of vanilla secondary but it’s very well integrated and not cloying. Starting to really develop some tertiary notes of saddle leather and every few swirls, I get an acrid pyrazine note that I can’t put my finger on (what you cut off of dry aged beef and bell peppers)? Tannins are almost resolved but just noticeable. A very good wine but doesn’t have the depth nor finish of the greats. I don’t see it getting better with more aging and would worry the fruit would further fade and the meat notes would become more prominent.

2013 Keller Estate Syrah Rotie - This wasn’t Cote Rotie. One dimensional with mostly dark primary fruit and too much oak. Not much depth.

1997 Tenuta Friggiali Brunello di Montalcino Donna Olga - Nose of saddle leather, red bramble fruit, a bit of baking spices. Nice acid and a lingering finish.

2018 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly Cuvée La Chapelle - Great acid and more on the pinot side than grenache. Whole bunch stems were nice. Built to age.
https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/twa-william-kelley-on-several-2018-beaujolais-bouland-metras-foillard/159585/1

2015 Evesham Wood Pinot Noir La Grive Bleue - Seems to be shut down or flawed. Some dark fruit and chocolate on the nose. Clipped taste with no finish

2014 Sebastien Dampt Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons - What a nose of peaches, apple cider, lemon curd. Bright acid with some lime and mineral (like feldspar) on the attack and a finish that lasts forever.

Thanks, Michael

2012 and 2014 Kutch Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast and McDougal) – I’m a fanboy, always great; ages wonderfully
2012 Myriad Cabernet – Still needs aging but great juice.
8+ year old EMH Black Cat – aged EMH (~10 years minimum) is really great juice; drinking earlier is still quite enjoyable
mid-range Bordeaux (no specific labels)

Bought three modest whites to get us through the last few unplanned extra weeks of our FL “winter” stay. All three of these wines were in the $15-$25 range, and all were “winners” in what they offer. Good solid representative of their grape(s) and place, pleasant and tasty drinking, each also worthy of thinking about a bit as you sip.
2017 Cambria Katherine’s Vineyard Chardonnay
2018 Graville-Lacoste Graves Blanc
2018 Louis Michel Chablis

P.S. Thinking of extending our stay here in FL even longer due to the more onerous Covid-19 restrictions currently in MA.

A lot of 1997-2001 Wachau. 2000-2005 Alsace. Ridge. Opened a 2003 Montebello last night.

Stay put. Big risk in traveling.

Substance Cab & Merlot, OVZ and North coast Syrah from Bedrock of course. [cheers.gif]

2016 Domaine Les Champs de Themis (Xavier Moissenet) Mercurey Les Bosebuts.

I didn’t buy this specifically as a daily drinker, but it’s available in one of my supermarkets and I’ve drunk several bottles during the shelter in place. It’s lighter, with crunchy red berry fruit, a bit of spice, and is awfully pleasant to drink while hunkering down.

-Al

I am a huge fan of '13 Roagna Langhe Rosso, having consumed almost 3 cases already with another 2+ remaining. Up until a month or so ago, I would not have agreed with your note, as it was fresh and friendly. The last two bottles, one two weeks ago and another over the past two nights were decidedly unfriendly, with the fruit receding and tannins more pronounced. I have a glass remaining, which has been in the refrigerator, and will drink it tonight. Hopefully, just a phase.

Been drinking a lot of 15 Sigaut 1ers, tonight a noirots, delicious.

I think a phase. I had when it first came out and it was all friendly fruit and the structure wasn’t even hinted at. A second bottle was decidedly unfriendly, so thinking it may be closing in.

I had a similar experience with '13 Vietti Castiglione. Open and delicious at Pasquale Jones in December, closed tighter than a bulls ass at fly time over the past three nights. Same with '13 Lessonas from La Prevostura and Colombera & Garella (Pizzaguerra). Small sample size, but even “lesser” '13 Nebbiolos seem to have shut the door for now. I have a '13 Oddero Barbaresco Gallina queued up for dinner, but might put it back in the cellar to sleep off the grouchiness.

2013 Scherrer RRV pinot noir - at a sale price of $25 it was the steal of the century.

Tonight had a 2010 Prieuré-Lichine from a 1/2 bottle. Rich, young (as expected), but not showing that much complexity. What really disappointed was the complete lack of a finish. Hope this improves with age.