TN: 2016 Tablas Creek Esprit de Tablas

Second Tablas wine in as many months. What I really like about these wines is that they’re structured but they maintain freshness and lift throughout w/ great acidity and vibrancy.

This one is all Southern Rhône; pure, dark red and blue fruit, tilled earth, garrigue, mocha, a little bit of pepper and meatiness from the Syrah. Apparently these age incredibly well but I’m happy to have enjoyed it now. Delicious.
896732D7-6270-4F9B-A56C-B9A4F8174371.jpeg

Yup, Sean… they do age incredibly well, both the Rouge and the Blanc. I think it’s the balance, rather than the in-your-face intensity & extraction, like Saxum or such, that allows them to go out so well.
Tom

And they tend to be much more food friendly than the “in-your-face” style of Rhone.

I certainly agree with Tom - and by gosh, how could anyone not! That said, some of TC’s recent releases seem to be so much more approachable and tasty young - this does make me pause to wonder if they will have the same longevity as earlier releases? Any thoughts on this?

Cheers.

Absolutely - balance is the word I think of with these wines (and almost any wine of quality, I suppose)

Worked great with our burgers last night that had a few different condiments and even a bit of a spicy kick - the acid and freshness carried the day while still having enough guts to hang with the meat.