What wine to pair with morels

I live in Alaska and look forward to the morel mushroom season which is starting now. Morels are an epicurean delicacy found in both North America and I believe Europe as well. I have a collection of wine I inherited and I am looking for suggestions of which wines might pair well with morels . I might serve them with wild game too. The list of wines I have is too long to include here but include lots of Bordeaux reds, Burgundy reds, a few white wines both Italian and French. Suggestions please?

Red burgundy

Check the Epicurean Exploits (food) section of this board. There are two recent threads on morels, including suggestions for wine pairing.

IMO Bordeaux, particularly anything with age so you get the soil-like nuances, particularly anything from Pomerol, goes great with morels

it really depends on how the morels are used IMO. a brown sauce or plainly roasted your suggestions are all good. if its a creamier sauce or even if pastry is strongly featured I would definitely consider something like chardonnay though.

Anyone that does more than adding a pinch of flour (too much ruins them) and pan searing them in butter is doing morels an injustice. I might be swayed towards Burgundy but am leaning towards Champagne. Save your sauces and risotto for chanterelles, boletes, shaggy manes, and miatake.

Anybody who makes this claim has not tried my husband’s capon with morels and vin jaune cream sauce. It’s the most delicious thing I’ve eaten since he made it last year.

Burgundy!

This
(Or White Burgundy) [wink.gif]
Depends on the treatment/sauce

So far, we have red burgundy, white burgundy and Champagne. Sort of narrows the grape varieties.

If morels with creamier sauce, I’ll suggest doing them with Vin Jaune from Jura

yum.

End of the season now with the giant whites where I am:
3504E0F5-A540-4674-9D8A-26833E0C7734.jpeg

Agreed. They are superb with aged Bdx. I prefer it as a match to Burgundy. A bit of cream won’t hurt at all, either.

Why didn’t I think of that? :wink:

I’ve come to think that Champagne is just a cop-out answer in wine pairing threads, because who can/will quarrel with you?
[snort.gif]

If it is the right answer for fried chicken and french fires–I don’t see how it doesn’t go best with morels? I’m just talking about slightly crispy pan fried morels.
morels.jpg

LIGHT red Burgundy. Complement, don’t compete.

I love morels, had a site in Virginia, had to give it up when I moved (local custom).

Intrigued by the suggestion of Bordeaux, don’t think I’ve ever tried that. A deep merlot-based wine with bottle age sounds intriguing. Now I wish I had a source! Next time I have a chance, I’ll try a Pomerol or high-Merlot Saint-Emilion.

Dan Kravitz

Beat me to it, Sarah. Savignin and morels/cream is such a classic combination.

I cut up a prime tenderloin into fillets, so ended up doing half with that. Decided to do a 2003 First Centgrafenbeg Fruhburgunder R. This wine is spectacular with the steak but cloying to the morels:
6FC46FE9-A769-4771-97B7-5E071F27E22F.jpeg
50D74EAC-2794-4D1D-BAE8-EA8EAA292FE1.jpeg
CA519079-5D35-4531-BCDB-8626367F7DFF.jpeg