TN: 2015 Jean Folliard Morgon Cote du Py

Another hit out of the park for folliard. I don’t get the dislike for 15 bojo.

Pure red fruits, earth, rich, but not overripe. Lovely bouquet and smooth palate that speaks of Morgon. Beautiful finish and nice transparency. Beautiful wine.

Cote du Py is probably my favorite site in all of Beaujolais, has fruit, but still the stony, mineral edge. Sitting here sipping Maison L’Envoye 2016 Cote du Py.

Grand Cru if I ever get a vote.

+1 that’s an annual buy

+2 - One of the most consistently excellent wines around. Year after year. And at such an easy price.
I have some mags of this in '15. Hope to leave them alone for a while.

The 15’ Foillard Cote du Py I opened back in 2017/2018 was downright angry and smacked me in my face. I had a 15’ BoJo a few weeks back, wasn’t Foillard, cannot recall which producer, and the 15’ seemed to have calmed down a little bit. All the rest of my 15’ Foillards have been lying down since that initial experience. They might even get a few more years before I check back in.

The 2009 Foillard Cote du Py I opened last week was impressive for a very irregular Gamay drinker like me.

TN here: What bottle of wine did you open today? (Part 1) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Anyone tried the '18 yet?

I loved the '15 Foillard, even more than the '16 and '17. However, to me this is an outlier for '15s, and I found several of my normal favorites downright undrinkable in '15…Thivin Cote du Brouilly was especially awful.

Last night I had a really lovely, elegant '17 Lapierre Morgan, and the night before that a delicious, arguably over-the-top but brilliantly tart '18 Thevenet Morgon V.V.

on release i thought the 15 fleurie from foillard tasted like grenache. i can’t recall ever trying the cote du py but i wouldn’t be surprised if it calmed down. i finally tried a bottle of my 15 beaujolais from the son of metras and it was stunning. more time will not hurt for this vintage.

Vins rare blew this out for $30 a bottle last year and I’m glad I got a case.

My first bottle of 18 Thevenet during the winter was mousey and tart to a fault; but a bottle opened this week was downright lovely. It had this candied plum/cherry note in the midpalate that was there on some sips and not on others, really interesting and the acidity felt like it had come into balance. Things have settled down quite a bit with that bottling and I thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

1 Like

William Kelley had a great video in which he tasted through a few ‘18s from Beaujolais including Foillard Cote du Py:

Upshot: somewhere between the ‘16 and ‘17

I had the '15 Foillard Cuvee Corcelette last and lots of similarity to Michael’s note. Purity of fruit. Depth. Silky texture. Balanced. A beautiful wine.

Had the '17 tonight. Pretty ripe, especially at room temp. Cooled it down and was still fairly grippy. Certainly not my favorite vintage. Torn on how much to order of the '18. '16 was so good.