TN: A blast from the past - '01 Rosemount GSM

Prior to Rosemount effecting a reverse take over on the Southcorp wine group (Penfolds), Rosemount were an enormous success in Australia. Every bottle shop you walked into had it case stacked.
I found this in the cellar at work, a single bottle but why not.

This is a blend of fruit from Mclaren Vale, Langhorne Creek and Barossa Valley. This is surprisingly good - yes it’s quite ripe, dense and concentrated, but it’s not over the top or syrupy. It has nice meatiness, some asian spice notes (think cinnamon, cardamom) and is really well integrated. Drinking at its absolute peak. A nice surprise.

Nice, had many of these back in the day.

Rosemount many early memories when just getting into wine.

Lovely drops back to the year of the Olympics 2000 in Sydney.

Hi Kent, under cork? Any older Rosemount Balmoral hiding in the cellar as well?

Brodie

Yes under cork and I have located a bottle or two of 95 and 98 Balmoral. Cork on this one was in perfect nick - probably only soaked for 1mm.

Yeah, I’m like you guys, this was a consistently tasty wine at a modest price when I was first getting into wine.

I remember United Airlines served this in business class about 20 years ago. I was first starting my wine journey then. I really enjoyed the wine.

Rosemount made an awesome TBA-level riesling back in (I think) the late 80s. (I still have an empty bottle as a souvenir, but I’m nmot at home.) Several friends in NY had good stashes of it, so I had it a number of times in the late 90s and early 2000s. It was on a par with a top Mosel TBA. One friend contacted the winery 10-12 years ago to inquire about the story behind it but no one there had any knowledge of it.