TN: Two Haarmeyer Reds....(short/boring)

Tried these two over the last week:

1. HaarmeyerWineCllrs Nebbiolo Clarksburg (12.87%; www.HaarmeyerWineCellars.com) Craig Haarmeyer/WestSecramento 2018: Light garnet/slight orangey color; quite pretty Nebb/floral/lilacs/violets some earthy/loamy/Delta light rustic rather fragrant nose; fairly tart pretty floral/Nebb/lilacs/violets some earthy/loamy/Delta/mushroomy bit rustic flavor w/ light gentle tannins; long somewhat floral/Nebb/violets/rose petal some earthy/mushroomy/loamy bit rustic finish w/ light tannins; this is exactly how CharlieMeyers would make Delta Nebb out back of Wingo & Sons Upholstery if he could; a rather pretty/earthy/loamy expression of Nebb a bit like a lightweight Gattinara. $30.00 (CB)

1. HaarmeyerWineCllrs Syrah FieldsFamilyVnyd/MokelumeRiver/Lodi (12.93%) 2016: Med.dark color; strong blackberry/Syrah/fairly spicy some Lodi/earthy/mushroomy light pencilly/oak bit rustic rather attractive nose; soft light blackberry/spicy/raspberry/Syrah/almost Zin-like some earthy/Lodi/loamy light pencilly/oak flavor w/ light gentle tannins; very long light/Syrah/spicy/blackberry/raspberry some earthy/loamy/Lodi finish w/ light tannins; speaks strongly of an elegant Lodi Syrah w/o the overripe character they often show; not a blockbuster Syrah but a pretty/drinkable red; this is exactly how CharlieMeyers would make Lodi Syrah behinf Wingo & Sons Upholstery if he could. $25.00 (CB)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Bought these two last Fall on the rec of DarrellCorti. My first experience with Craig’s wines. Craig took over Charlie Meyer’s wnry in West Sacramento, back behind Wingo & Sons Upholstery, several yrs ago after Charlie died. I believe he was involved in bottling the last of Charlie’s wines & moving them out the door for Margaret.
    Both of these wines came across as lightweight/drinkable rather no-frills wine much like Charlie would make. Spoke both of their varieties and vnyd origins. Looking forward to trying other of Craig’s wines.
    Tom

Nice Tom - I dig Craig’s wines as well. You need to try his chenin blancs, and also his Mataro. The 16 David Girard Mataro i drank last year is probably the best domestic mourvedre I’ve ever had (no offense Hardy). Really impressive stuff.

Thanks for the notes, Tom. Craig is a great guy and very passionate about what he does. Need to reload on some Haarmeyer!

OK, bumping this because is actually DID reload! I think a lot of people here will appreciate these wines. Low-alcohol across the board, nice acidity, nice people as well. The 2017 SRV Zin (first I’ve opened from the new release) is lovely.

Yup, Nate… I’ve had a couple of nice & informative e-mail exchanges with Craig over the last few days. Nice folks.
Tom