Champagne stoppers/open bottle storage

I’ve watched from the sidelines as WBers whose palates I respect and align with have fallen for champagne. As the only wine drinker in my household I have an established routine wherein I immediately decant 1/2 of a .750 of still wine to a clean .375 bottle and store it in the fridge. I keep these from 1 day to 1 week and have not noted significant degradation. Of course we entertain, but not as often as we might like (particularly now!).

I’ve assumed that this precludes venturing into champagne other than 1/2 bottles. As I’m currently haunted by an attractive offer on CC (would someone just buy it please!) I wonder if there is a solution that I’m missing?

I’ve been looking for a champagne stopper too but haven’t found anything convincing yet. Looking forward for any inputs

I’m a big fan of this one: https://www.lecreuset.com/champagne-crown-sealer-black-nickel

Only downside is that it doesn’t fit a select few bottles.

Thanks! For how long have you found it to be effective (day/week/etc.)?

Only tried up to three days but worked great over that period with a roughly half full bottle

Check this thread. I put my recommendation in it, too.

Why don’t you see how Champagne works with your normal method?

The MiTBA stopper looks good I’ll report back.

I see the Creuset model goes for $38.95 on Amazon. The thread Frank Murray III linked to above shows stoppers for $5.95 and $4.87. They all look like they operate in the same way, to make an airtight seal for the bottle. As long as an airtight seal is formed, does it make any difference what brand you get? Why pay so much more for Le Creuset?

Any stopper will only work on some bottles. The Le Creuset probably has a better feel and a more secure seal that people are willing to pay for.
Look at wine keys and the variance in price for usually pretty similar utility (note I’m not trying to start a Durand v corkscrew/ah so debate).

I agree. Most champagnes have a lot of dissolved CO2 and a slow pour into a topped-up 375, then stopped by cork, should work. Another way to put it: I don’t have experience suggesting a good young Champagne’s structure (including bubbles) is “delicate” for purposes of handling over even a few days open.

That said, I use a cheap Champagne stopper I bought in a French supermarket for 750s and it works just fine over 3 or 4 days. I think I once used it for about a week and it was fine.

though at the high end for champagne stoppers, this one has worked great for me and has easily held the fizz for several days:

https://smile.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CTG-00-CHS-Champagne-Stopper-Stainless/dp/B078YQ3P9M/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1XD1ZJYYU2SL&dchild=1&keywords=champagne+stoppers&qid=1589473426&sprefix=champagne%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-7

This is what I used when I was doing wholesale and even with the constant opening and closing, it held up a ton better than a lot of other options

Amazon’s choice for “hermetic cork”!

Thanks all - I guess the bottom line is that good stoppers work fine for at least several days.

Someone posted a few weeks back about a champagne stopper from crate and barrel. I got it, it’s not 4.99 anymore but its not much above that and free shipping. If it works, maybe i will buy one more. Another shocker, its made in Italy. So helping the Italian economy in a minuscule way. Along with c&b. Otherwise, amazon will take over the world. Anytime I can purchase something from a store that has retail storefront, I do.

We use stoppers to store the residual champagne in open bottles. The stopper keeps it fresh for a few days. We’ve tried many different models and they all work similarly. In our experience, the more residual champagne in the bottle, the longer it will keep. But as a general rule, we try to finish it in a day or two. Moet had a promotion that included a bottles stopper (see picture) which seems to endorse the stopper approach. The free Moet stopper has worked as well as any other stopper. Good luck.
moet with stopper.png