Great Deals at Binnys (for the midwesterners on here)

Can you post a link, all I can see is the regular sale page.

I have only ever seen these in store. Agree that they can be incredible values. Usually only when they are trying to close out the last remaining bit of inventory (I’ve never seen one with too much available for purchase).

Oh, ok…that would be one hell of a trip for this mid westerner [cheers.gif]

Car pool!!! champagne.gif

Although, to maintain social distancing, you’ll have to be in the trunk… [snort.gif]

If the sale is good enough, anything is on the table for negotiation [rofl.gif]

Pick me up along the way :smiley:

would love to know the strategy of when they add these. I shop the St Charles Binnys and don’t think I’ve ever seen any.

Binny’s had some outstanding sales over the last few months. I was at the Glencoe store recently and they had a terrific deal on a number of Ridge bottlings, including 2017 Pagani for $29.

Binny’s “end of bin” sales were the ultimate temptation. You have no idea when or why or how many are available. Selection varies by individual store. Total happenstance crap-shoot…but most “end of bin’s” were 50%off…which made the individual item retail for less than wholesale. Some sales were single bottles, or 4 or 5, always less than a case. In the years I worked there…most customers never saw the sales…employees considered them a “perk”, or held for “regular” customers.

Is there a Binny’s location which is larger or has heavier traffic/sales where one is more apt to find this kind of offers?

Largest and best selection are Lincoln Park, South Loop and Highland Park. They also get the heaviest traffic, so closeouts might not last as long. Best bet imo is the Clark st. (Lakeview) store…better selection and things tend to linger a little longer than the other stores, although these days the local, idle Cubs fans may be paying more attention. Oak Brook is good too.

Back in 2004, Binny’s had a blowout of 1998 Giacomo Conterno Cascina Francia for $37. I got in near the end and only got 5 bottles, I think, and still have 2 left. That’s back when they would ship.

Speaking of magnums, make sure to check the large-format section for closeouts. Also check the fridge for their high-end stuff.

The best Binny’s locations for fine wines are Lincoln Park (the old Sam’s main store), Lake View (3000 North Clark), Downtown (Grand and Wells), South Loop, Oak Brook and Highland Park…these are essentially the “Fine Wine Stores” for Binnys…the other 30 odd stores scattered around Chicago are basically “discount liquor stores”. They’re currently opening about 4 new locations a year. Still family owned…still great prices (usual markups are 33% rather than 50%).

The new Evanston location would likely also make that list, as its possibly larger than Highland Park and has a pretty impressive high-end selection. They’ve also greatly upgraded and expanded in Glencoe, another good one.

Same here… Went up there and grabbed a few bottles… Did you make it up there?

No yet, swinging by this weekend

I’d be quick, there wasn’t a ton.

Got some revana terroir series Cabernet for 49.97

As mentioned, deals vary by store. Not advertised. And St. Charles has been shrinking the wine department for some time now, much smaller than it used to be. At the expense of beer and booze. Cheap liquor piled high these days.

1 Like