California Whites -- What Are You Drinking?

During the quarantine, I’ve been drinking more and more California white wines that I am enjoying. Some are new, some are old standards. All tend to be restrained with good acid, but not always. Some recent favorites include:

Tablas Creek Esprit de Tablas Blanc – My favorite Roussanne (blend) made in California. Hard to find a mediocre vintage. Better with 5 to 10 years age on them.

Cattleya Chardonnays and Sauv Blanc – New producer to me, but really well made wines. The Alma de Cattleya SB was a steal at $17, but the higher end Chards are also excellent

Massican Sauv Blanc – wow, great acid, wonderful bouquet, maybe a Top 3 SB from California that I’ve ever had

Rhys Chard – recently had 12s Horseshoe that was stunning. Always a favorite.

Marcassin – Had a '10 that was gorgeous. Not a style I would enjoy frequently, but a wonderful wine

D’alfonso Curran and Tercero make some fantastic “non-traditional” varietals such as vinho verde, grenache blanc, etc.

The 2012 Horseshoe Chard is the best Rhys wine I have ever had, and I have been on the list for a long time…

I’ve been having a few Dragonette single vineyard Sauvignon Blancs. I really love them.

Jaffurs’ Roussanne and Viognier.

I really enjoy Matthiasson White & ABC Hildegard.

I have become a fan of Liquid Farm!

Just opened a bottle of Scherrer 14 Helfer vineyard Chardonnay and a 19 Tench SB that was damn good.

Aubert Chardonnay
Rochioli Chardonnay
DuMol Chardonnay
Chateau Montelena Sauvignon Blanc
Cliff Lede Sauvignon Blanc

Chanin Bien Nacido Chardonnays. Haven’t found anything domestic that touches them in the $30-35 range, when I usually go for 1er Chablis at that price point.

You should try their Solomon Hills. I prefer the SH vs the BN. Esp the 16 vs the 17. the 18 BN Chard are shipping to members next month so we’ll see

Also look into LiquidFarm as those Chardonnay are comparable.

Matthiasson White, Espirit de Tablas Blanc, Ceritas Chardonnay.

2012 Ramey Hyde
With some lobster bite hors derves things, really nice wine and a good pairing.

Scribe Estate Chard. is pretty much domestic Chablis.
Best, Jim

Not sure how I got mine before members did I included some 18 BN chard in an order I got a month ago. I haven’t opened one yet. I love this wine. It literally left me speechless when I visited a few years back. I don’t recall tasting the Solomon Hills so will seek it out.

To my taste Liquid Farm doesn’t scratch the itch that the Chanin BN does. I’ll drink the LF if served to me but am no longer a buyer.

Preach! I had that same exact reaction tasting the 16 BN there a couple years ago. Ordered another case of them on K&L. The 15 didn’t do it as much for me recently. But I’m happy to have some 17 and 18 to try soon.

Quivet Sauv Blanc
Myriad Semillon
Liquid farm chard
Rivers-Marie chard
A.P. Vin chard
Sojourn chard
Peay chard
Peay roussanne marsanne

My wife is digging the Calluna Estate Blanc picked up on BD

Rhys Chardonnay
Desire Lines Riesling
Stolo Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc
Martinelli Dry Muscat Alexandria
Mount Eden Chardonnay
Arnot-Roberts Chardonnay

Oh I missed the Chanin part lol. I thought you were talking about the BNSH Estate program.

But yes Chanin BNSH is also very good. The 16 at KL for $35 is a steal