Ponsot wines without Laurent?

I have not had a chance to taste the current vintages. Are they at the same level as when Laurent made the wine?

1 Like

Which level is that? :wink:

1 Like

Good question, but the only real failures I am aware of were in the mid nineties and the ā€˜04.

That being said, the new regime has only done three vintages, and of those, I suspect only the ā€˜17 and ā€˜18 have been tasted by outsiders. Has anybody tasted them?

I suppose this is related enough to ask here. Iā€™m also curious to know what people think about the Laurent Ponsot wines under his new label, if people have tried them.

Iā€™ve had a couple of his whites at tastings; theyā€™reā€¦pretty fat and oaky to my taste.

Personally, I think theyā€™re better. But there has not been any kind of stylistic change, just some technical refinements. The style is still very much the Ponsot style.

Thereā€™s actually a possible double upside here - Domaine wines improving post Laurent - there have been a couple of useful tweaks - and Laurentā€™s own wines being better than anything he made during his later years at the domaine.

Who currently makes the chezeaux/ponsot wines? Presumably itā€™s the domaine, not laurent?

did they go back to a normal closure instead of the stupid plastic thing?

1 Like

Laurent is.

Nope. Mags have natural cork but bottles donā€™t.

Alan,

I can understand and even appreciate your skepticism of the closure.

the family I represent as in using it since a 2003 vintage, and it is performed very very well 17 years onā€¦

hope it works better than his white dot. Which doesnā€™t work at all. Thanks.

Thanks

Wow! Was Laurent able to source good material for his own wines? What way has he improved from the domaine wines?

Laurent kept the sharecropping contracts which had been in his name when he was at Domaine Ponsot (Clos St Denis, Griotte-Chambertin etc), and also the negociant contracts which he had already established. Since setting up on his own he has added more negociant contracts and has been able to buy some vineyards as well.

The fresh start in a new winery has given him a renewed vitality which is being translated into some really good wines.

Jasper glad you are share your thoughts in this forum. Thatā€™s exciting to hear, only if we can find the wines and it doesnā€™t cost the earth!

I came across this in his website:

ā€œAs you know, I am resistant to the use of new oak barrels whose addition of an ā€œoakā€ taste is for me like the addition of natural extracts of fruits or flowers in the wines: it comes neither from the terroir, or from original grapes. I consider that the barrel is only a way to oxygenate the wine by respecting its aging cycle. While waiting to be sufficiently comfortable in future buildings to increase my researches, I am already starting an experiment on the alternative to barrel aging by ultra-nano-oxygenation.ā€

Any one familiar with this ultra-nano-oxygenation?

https://laurent-ponsot.webnode.fr/news-/

And in researching I came across this article describing this is the future!

1 Like

Sounds like the winemaking is of a piece with the labelsā€¦

From the 80s?? Is Guy Accad back? [stirthepothal.gif] neener