2019 Bordeaux

Critics and merchants are getting shipped en primeur samples of the 2019 vintage and we appear to have another high quality vintage on our hands. Apparently more traditional than the 2018, and prices will be down. Critics are praising the vintage and wines may be offered in June. Who is up for some more high quality Bordeaux, perhaps at significantly discounted prices?

Suckling

Jeff Leve
https://www.instagram.com/p/CADM1NgFM4j/

Neil Martin

Jane Anson

Iā€™m in for some as itā€™s my sonā€™s birth year, but likely zero en primeur, unless I decide on some 1.5L or 3L. Financial risks over the next couple years of a wine shop going out of business before my wine is delivered seems higher than I care to risk.

Not sure we will see any legitimate discounting, but we can hope for some sanity like 2008.

And letā€™s hope they all come in at 14.00001% ABV! [wink.gif]

I will likely pass on anything offered en primeur; not sure why anyone would want their money tied up for two years, with little to offer in terms of upside, in this environment. The risk of wine businesses going belly up is much higher than normal, and prices would need to be discounted significantly for me to even consider taking that risk. More likely is that I will continue to backfill with well stored 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1994, 1995, 1996, and 1998.

If itā€™s a solar year, that wont be an issue.

Of course, by the time they are imported, thereā€™s another solution, but best not to discuss that here. [wink.gif]

My thoughts exactly

Why 1994 out of curiousity?

Is it like how retailers jack up the original pricing on Black Friday to make the discounts seem deeper?

Iā€™ve had some stellar experiences recently with well stored examples of ā€˜94 from the northern medoc. Leoville Barton and Pontet Canet were both awesome, and canā€™t beat the price. A lot more expensive, but the Latour was incredible as well. I tend to enjoy wines that are more ā€œclassicā€ or ā€œtraditionalā€ in style, so for that reason I think both 94 and 95 appeal to me more than to most people.

Interesting, I have a 1994 La Fleur de Gay I shuffle around racks since I never read positive notes on 1994s.

Will put it in queue.

So far, I have tasted close to 40 samples. But I should have more than 300 wines arriving Monday for this week and perhaps another 150 or so the following week! It is going to be a busy at home week hereā€¦ For anyone following me on Instagram or Facebook, you have probably seen pictures.

With luck, I will have an in-depth article with all the tasting notes on my site by mid-June, or a few days earlier.

I believe I read that Jancis refused to participate. Did not trust barrel samples shipped under these condtions, both for indications of quality but also Covid-related issues.

Counterparty risk.

A friend in Europe is now able to buy 2019 BDX futures from some chateaux. Will be interesting to see when the big players in the US launch and if there are large price differentials between US and europe, and between US retailers due to the tariff risksā€¦

Pontet Canet is out and Latour (2012 and 2014) was released.

Havenā€™t seen any major US retailers offer them yet. I called K&L and the customer service person had no idea when they would offer 2019 futures.

Iā€™m not a visionary - for me it is more instinctive. I have to make a decision as other businesses depend upon what we do. I was unprepared and BAM, last night the Pontet Canet offers come flying in to my inbox, I think it was 58 Euro. And Iā€™m wondering - why? I calle Bordeaux to our closest business contact and ask ā€™ 58 Euro - why?"
To my surprise this major industry insider says, ā€œsimple - 2018 was priced too high, and 2017 and 2016 all were too high.ā€
I cannot make sense of that and have no idea what to expect from the other Chateaux.
Within 45 minutes 8 other negociants send offers on the Pontet Canet, so they are taking the approach of coming in early and grabbing sales.
I spoke to others, there is a sense of (dare I say it) desperation - the thanks I recā€™d for ordering was quite a bit more than Iā€™m accustomed to .
I was told that this is a vintage more attractive for the Cabernet. And that according to this Negociant M.D., MONTROSE is the wine of the vintage".
And that Mouton will be released the week of the 8th and Lafite the week after. And that everyone is going to squeeze in - in June, which is going to be a frantic pace of Chaos.
Prices will they be lower? Will the tariff be lifted in the mid June meeting?
What do I do about Ch. Latour?
I would ask for samples - however, my experience is tasting wine at this stage of their life is useless for me.
Iā€™ll watch and listen- after all - Iā€™m conducting myself based on the certainty the tariff will be lifted - one way or the other.

Yes, they did tell me it is a very good to excellent vintage - that is a wine professionals I trust. But Iā€™m with the person who wrote - why pay now for a wine that Iā€™ll receive in 2.5 years? Has to be a really good reason.

I emailed my contact at K&L to ask the same question, will see if he says the same thing.

Millesima is offering a handful of 2019ā€™s on their website now, including Pontet Canet for $80 (looks like they already sold out though of both 375ml and 750ml)

William, I imagine you are in a tough spot. With the COVID-related shock to the economy and the potential for more to come there must be significant concern about the demand for luxury-level wines. Add to that the tariffs and there must be uncertainty about consumer demand and pricing from the chateaux all the way through to the retailers. Good luck!

William, I imagine you are in a tough spot. With the COVID-related shock to the economyā€¦

And new US fees,
And brexit,
And bordeaux bashing,
And people want more nature or organicā€™s wines
And ā€¦

\

Regarding 2019 bordeaux, i just have seen jean marc quarinā€™s notes.
And it is not homogenous : between medium and very good year