TN: 2011 Littorai Platt Vineyard Pinot Noir

For some reason, maybe price, these don’t seem to get a lot of love around here. As noted below, my first outing–very impressive all told.

• 2011 Littorai Pinot Noir Platt Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (5/17/2020)
    First Littorai. I clearly don’t drink enough of these. Lovely, balanced wine, restrained, yet reflective of Sonoma Coast. Big whiff of raspberry on opening, some plum mixes in on palate, with a little white pepper, touch of baking spice and nice long finish. Wine shows the acidity of the vintage, but not a problem and was lovely with food or its own. Drink or hold. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

They’re one of my favorite California producers. Quite a few folks on this board drink and post on them from time to time. I think the price has driven some of us away (I haven’t purchased in several years), but if you’re comparing quality/price to Burgundy, for example, I think they’re a decent value. Yes, they’re not burg, but closer than many other Cali PNs. Ted Lemon is a master at his craft.

Drank an 11 Savoy a few weeks ago. Wish I had waited a little longer but it was great and drank like an aged burg. Like others I stopped buying as prices escalated. When i started buying the appellation were mid $30’s. Still have a bunch I’ll enjoy in the years ahead

Yes, I could see that pricing would be a problem. FWIW, I don’t think it’s a ringer for aged burg, of which I drink a fair amount. It’s a balanced wine, for sure, but to me it still speaks of Sonoma–a little more sucrosite, a different flavor profile than most Burg, which is fine. Not to be a jerk about this, if I want Burg, after all, I’ll just drink it.

Seems like Scott agrees:

they’re not burg, but closer than many other Cali PNs.

No worries. Btw Savoy is Anderson Valley not Sonoma

Littorai and Ceritas are both my premier California Pinot Noir choices but as you mention they are both getting up there in cost.

Tom

Yes, but Platt is Sonoma, yes?

Correct. I don’t have any Platt though Im sure it’s very good too

Littorai no longer purchases Platt fruit.

2011s Littorai are in a great spot now. To that point, Ted had a few 2011s open at the last pick up event.