Favorite Cabernet Producers Under $75

Searched and couldn’t find a recent thread…

What are your favorite Cabernet producers for under $75? Bonus points for under $50, and also with a focus on cooler, balanced wines that aren’t over-extracted. Blends (clarets, etc.) and NVDs totally fine. Trying to lower our average cost per Cabernet in the cellar.

Our favorites:

Bremer Family Claret and Napa NVD bottlings
Scherrer
Bedrock
Rivers Marie Napa Valley NVD

1 Like

My Fav is Matthiason’s @ $65. Granted I’m not a big CS fan & don’t enjoy most of the 14%+abv out there.

Zeitgeist

Nada !

Sandler makes an awesome CS

That’s right!! Lazare $45!! It’s in the 4-bottle / $100 sampler he’s offering now. Forgot about that, thanks!

Ridge Estate, Rafanelli and Keenan.

Ed

I’ll second Zeitgeist. Their 2016 drinks like a cab twice the price point. Primarily Lewelling fruit from Saint Helena I believe.

Really enjoy Becklyn’s Napa Valley ($65) and Di Costanzo’s DI CO ($55).

Yes, yes!

My go-to cabs at that point would be Ridge Estate, Togni Tanbark Hill, Ramey Napa, Mount Eden Estate, and Chappellet Signature.

Spring Mountain

1 Like

Dehlinger and Scherrer have to be on the list.

Monticello Vineyard cabs from Bedrock, Turley, Arnot-Roberts and Carlisle are in the $75 range.

Don’t buy much Cab these days but when I do it’s either

Calluna
Frogs Leap
Scherrer

All under $75.00. All are traditional in style. No oaky ooze monsters.

Tom

Easy choice. Chappellet Signature - Pritchard Hill fruit, available widely at retail, consistently very good and stable pricing for a long time.

Smith Madrone
Chappellet Signature
Frank Family
Ridge Estate
Scherrer

Ridge.

I have mentioned these before: Beringer Winery Exclusive, and Anderson’s Conn Valley Napa, and a bit better, their Cave Dweller cuvee. Closer to the upper limit identified, and possibly requiring some form of sale or discount: Blankiet Prince of Hearts, Lail Blueprint, Drinkward Peschon, Robert Craig Affinity, Rivers Marie Napa and Turnbull Reserve. And Chappellet Signature.

Becklyn, Quivet, Myriad, Rivers-Marie Napa Valley, Seavey Caravina, Sojourn Home Ranch are all top quality coming in just below the $75 mark. Can’t go wrong with any of those.

1 Like

Becklyn nv
O’Shaughnessy nv