What to pair with panna cotta and fresh strawberries?

Hey everyone,

I’m making a four course Italian dinner for my parents’ anniversary in late June and I’m thinking to order the wine now (before AZ temps get so hot the wine might get ruined in transit). I think I’ve got a good idea for first three courses (though still appreciate recommendations). But it is dessert where I really need the help. I’m planning panna cotta with fresh strawberries, and was thinking to pair champagne? This would also go with the cheese / fruit / honey board to follow.I’ve got the whole menu below so you can see the progression. Appreciate any recommendations!

First course-

Shaved white asparagus salad with sherry shallot vinaigrette

Wine - 2017 Hirsch Kammern Gruner Veltviner Kamptal (I love Gruner Veltviners as a light starting white wine, and I think they’d go great with white asparagus)

Second course-

Homemade cacio e pepe

Wine - 2018 Tornatore Etna Bianco (I’ve never tried this one, but I think wine from this region would be a good choice)

Third course-

Osso Bucco

Wine - my favorite wine of all time, Domaine Tempier Bandol (2016).

Fourth course-

Panna cotta with fresh strawberries

Wine - champagne or prosecco? A sparkling rose? I should add - I can’t stand dessert wines, which is why I’m thinking sparkling. I’m hoping to keep it to under $60. Thoughts?

Something with a bit of sour like Lambrusco white or red may be a nice counterpoint to the richness of panda cotta and sweetness of strawberries. Or perhaps Chinato.

Vilmart Ratafia would work

Maybe take a look at Moscato d’Asti and/or Brachetto d’Acqui. Fizzy-sparkling, light (6% +/- alcohol), fruity-sweet. Yummy I think.

+1. I was thinking of this but see you beat me to it.

Champagne…prob Rose…anything Andre Clouet to Billecart-Salmon to Dom Perignon. My guilty pleasure is fresh strawberries…should be great with panna cotta…my secret sinful pleasure is a single drop of the oldest balsamic I can afford on each strawberry…shivver.

I’d suggest a young, fruity Auslese with good acidity. It won’t taste like a “dessert wine” but will be sweet enough to counter the strawberries and have enough acid to cleanse the creamy panna cotta.

+2 Definitely

Is the tempier rose rich enough to withstand osso buco? Classic pairing is big red such as Barolo

I’m planning tempier bandol rouge. Big reds all the way.

I always hear talking about the rose somehow i instantly went there. Big red much better :slight_smile:

Marzemino Dolce.

I would third the vote for a Moscato d’ Asti.

I’m going to do that with the balsamic, that’s a great idea, thanks!

Why not an Italian wine with the osso buco? 2016 Nervi Gattinara, for example… I think a big red would be too much for the flavors of the dish.

I think the Champagne rec for the dessert is a good one :slight_smile:

Yes I think a light sparkling with some sweetness like Moscato d’ Asti would be good. A drier sparkling wouldn’t quite work imo

+1 on sparkly.

As many people have said, a Champagne can go well with dessert but I would actually suggest a low/no dosage Blanc de Noirs. I was turned on to the possibility by a patisserie owner who served me Marie-Noelle Ledru’s Cuvee du Goulte with her desserts (!)

Perhaps consider Marie Courtin or Mousse Fils :slight_smile:

Another dessert possibility - a twinkie paired with a Sauternes/Barsac ! neener

[rofl.gif]