TN: Nice Rhone Grenache, except it's a Chilean PN

I just don’t know what to think of Chilean Pinot Noir, my experience has been so mixed over the years. This one made the picture even murkier, but I will say that I enjoyed it and it fascinated me, after I set aside the fact that it was Pinot Noir. From Naked Wines, which I decided to give a try (and have been generally very pleased with).

El Rumpus, Pinot Noir, Chile 2018
Remarkable color, dark but translucent ruby/garnet. Very good nose, rather fragrant and lovely, loaded with ripe, meaty black cherry and currant, and with cloves, smokey earth, and minty tobacco leaf / vegetal notes, all with savory tomato paste notes. Mostly identical notes on the palate; black cherry, blackberry, and currant, ripe and meaty but also rather juicy, with generous citrus/orange acidity, tobacco leaf, spice, and earth, all with savory tomato paste notes, and with citrus and spice lingering on a respectable finish. Medium-full bodied, with generous acidity, ripe and yet not ungraceful, and very savory; rather Italianate in style. Blind, I probably would have guessed Grenache, rather than Pinot Noir, but I do like this, and it is very food friendly. On day two, it develops barnyardish earthiness, cocoa powder, and olive notes that make it indistinguishable from a Rhone or Languedoc red. Fascinating. Drink now or in the next 5 years, and I would be very interested to see what this is like when mature. 2.5 Stars [5/14/20]

I have yet to really enjoy a Chilean PN. The most acceptable have been inexpensive and ignore-able, as Cono Sur. The more expensive Casa Marin has undrinkable on every try.

Sounds a bit like the Washington State Pinot Noir that tasted more like a Syrah from the Rocks District in Oregon.

Some years back, I had a quite decent pinot from the Chilean operation of William Fevre, the Chablis producer. It was balanced, showed real varietal flavors and was free from the cola/cough drop fruit you get in so many New World pinots. It was $25, a great deal.