Selling my wines and how to go about it

Hey everyone, I need some help but I have a few caveats about selling my wines I own. I have about 500 wines that vary in price from the $15-50 range for about 250 of them and then another 200 that range from $50-100 with the last 50 being over $100-250. The issues are I want to get rid of these before I leave in two weeks and I live in a warm climate and the shipping time right now is not great for most people as well. I have off loaded about 175 to people that I know locally but wondering what is a fair price to ask if the value of the bottles is about $34,000 and the average price per bottle is $65?

I have contacted my local wine shop as they have purchased cellars before but didn’t know what type of dollar amount to expect or accept? Most bottles I have been selling to people have been friends and typically was selling to them 20% off what I paid when they do like 5-10 bottles at a time. I live in Bakersfield, CA and it is going to be hot next week so shipping is out and I move the first of June and would like to offload them at this point. These aren’t all collector type wines but good quality wines like Williams Selyem, Abreu, Alpha Omega Blankiet, Tensley, and some Bordeaux like Senejac, Pichon-Longueville, Quilceda Creek, Rhys, Alban, Corison, Aubert, Rivers-Marie. Any input is appreciated

Best of luck, but you are not going to sell your entire collection based on the short period of time for you. And with shipping out of the question for you, how are people supposed to pick them up?

Auction them off? Winebid?

Where are you moving to? Why not move your wine to your new location via a climate-controlled shipper?

Chris, i am already taking 350 bottles and trying to downsize and don’t want to pay to ship them and not be able to store them properly once there.
Mike, I have been selling all locally right now just didn’t know if there are any ideas. Waiting on my wine shop to get back to me to see if they will take it all, that would be ideal
MikeL, about 250-300 of those wines an auction site won’t even bother with I would think because they are not really “collector” type wines, especially in this short time frame

I’d send an inventory list to Winebid. I’d think they would be interested in wines similar to those you mentioned. If you do consign with them, they can arrange for proper shipping. I’ve sold a fair amount through them over the years and have been generally pleased with the results and the service. It doesn’t cost you anything to get an estimate from them, and that would at least give you something to compare to an offer from your local shop.

Scott, since you and MikeL suggested I suppose I better look then :slight_smile: The good thing is the wines can stay put for a couple months where they are it is just a pain to go back and ship them. I will look into it see what i can come up with. Thank you

Joe, I’ve sold some of my wines to Winebid and most of them were not your typical “collector” wines. Maybe a couple bottles mixed in, but mostly everyday drinking wine and they took all of them. If you go to the website, you’ll see they have bottles priced at like $20 all the way to DRC and First Growths. They even offered free pick up for me so I really didn’t have to do anything except for the check to arrive once they were sold. If you are not in a rush to get paid for them, can’t hurt to try. I have no affiliation with them btw [cheers.gif]

I already sent them the list!! I am in no hurry for the check so it may work out after all! Love this board for these kind of things when I need some help :slight_smile:

They are also offering free inbound shipping right now for collections over $10K:

WineBid is offering free inbound shipping for sales of wine collections valued at $10,000 or more.
This offer applies to US wine collections only (excluding Alaska and Hawaii).
Certain restrictions apply. Please send us your wine list to get started!

You could always post something here, someone might be interested

Wine shops will want 40% margin, so $20k. Start there.

Not to mention you are looking for someone to take on inventory when everyone’s goal is to reduce inventory while this virus hangs over us.

Why don’t you move them to offsite storage for a bit so you have more time to sell them for a decent amount?

Yes. Keeping wines at no more than 70 degrees F, for two years, in offsite storage, with no sudden temperature changes, is IMO just fine. People may differ but I’ll always believe this.

Jason of
Spectrum Wine will give you a price for the whole lot, or auction them for you.

Spectrum, K&L, winebid. Get quotes. Easy as that

If you use CellarTracker, they have an easy tie in to Benchmark as well.