2002 Bouchard - Vosne Romanee - Aux Reignots ??

Does anyone know if the 2002 Bouchard Vosne - Aux Reignots,
is the same wine as the 2002 Liger-Belair Vosne - Aux Reignots ?

Bouchard aged and bottled for LB back then including their La Romanee.

Bouchard got a share (I think 50% in 02) until the 05 vintage, 02 was the first vintage that Louis-Michel made of Reignots and La Romanee, so I presume that the wine is the same although Bouchard would probably have supplied its own barrel and been responsible for the elevage and bottling of their share

I tasted the 02s with Louis Michel in his cellar the summer of 2003; definitely Bouchard chose and delivered the barrels for the wines bottled as Bouchard. But LM did the elevage. Tried both Reignots and La Romanees. Obviously more alike than different but you could ascertain some difference.

Nice catch Josh!

Hi Maureen,

With your first hand experience, you were the perfect person to answer my question, thank you !

Any idea what the difference was in barrels that were used, or if there was a different new oak regimen for either of the two parties ?

A side by side tasting of the two wines could be a perfect horizontal tasting to ascertain the effects of barrels on a wine, as every other constant would appear to be identical here.

[training.gif]

Not necessary, but I can confirm that. 2002 to 2005 Louis-Michel LB had to share Aux Reignots and LR with Bouchard … they provided own barrels with heavier toasting … otherwise the wine was identical the 1st year … then the B.barrels were moved to Bouchard … According to LM the difference after bottling was tiny but it was there …

Gerhard’s comment about a heavier toast is consistent with my recollection.