Zoom Event - Walter Scott Wines with Erica and Ken - Saturday May 30th, 5pm PT/8pm ET

Erica and Ken graciously accepted an invite to join us for a Zoom event on May 30th at 5PM PT/8pm ET to discuss their wine. I’ve lauded their wines to every ear I could find via every avenue I could. I have found their chardonnay to be some of the best made in the New World and can stand up to any white burgundy at the same price point (if not better). They along with other producers in the Willamette Valley have shown that the Chardonnay (and pinot noir) being produced in the Valley are as good as anywhere. Walter Scott currently produces five Chardonnays and eight Pinor Noirs from different vineyards in the Willamette Valley.

I first learned of their wines when Jason Bray gifted me a bottle of the 2012 Walter Scott Chardonnay (no longer producer, now it’s just the La Combe Verte). I opened it with a few of my friends at dinner and was blown away by the complexity of the wine. I texted Jason exalting the splendor that he had gifted me and immediately purchased a mixed case of their 2016 Chardonnay release. I have then made it my mission to spread the cult of Walter Scott Wines through the internet. So I was excited when they accepted my invite to participate in a zoom event

A little about the winery.

The name Walter Scott honors two men who meant the world to Ken. Walter, Ken’s grandfather, was a flight engineer for Trans World Airlines. Walter always strived to make his dreams become reality. He was dynamic and adventurous; he did everything from building homes to riding motorcycles to flying planes. His influence taught Ken that there are no limits to what you can accomplish when you set your mind to it. Scott was Ken’s nephew. Although his time was short, Scott was fearless. Much like his great grandfather, he never shied away from anything. Scott’s departure taught Ken that life is very short and you must act on your ambitions because you never know when your chance will pass.

Walter Scott Wines’ first vintage, La Combe Verte Pinot Noir, was produced in 2009 at Patricia Green Cellars where Ken traded harvest labor for winemaking space. For the following two vintages, Ken changed location to Evening Land where he began working alongside Dominique Lafon. In 2011, Walter Scott began making Chardonnay, which contributed significantly to both their growing production and group of loyal followers. In 2012, Ken and Erica began leasing their current winery space from the Casteel family of Bethel Heights, which is situated on Justice Vineyard in the Eola-Amity Hills American Viticultural Area, a sub-appellation of the Willamette Valley AVA. To help accomplish this big move Walter Scott needed some support, so Ken and Erica invited some friends to become part of the business. Sue and Andy Steinman joined the Walter Scott team just before the 2012 harvest.

At Walter Scott, freshness and purity are qualities that we crave in the wines we make; we strive for this through attention to detail in our cellar. French oak is used exclusively and gives us the structure and textures we believe enhance our wines. Each small fermentation and distinct barrel is treated as an individual component of a larger vision. We bottle small lots of single vineyard wines, as well as practice the craft of blending and bottling wines that show classic characteristics of Eola-Amity Hills or the Willamette Valley as a whole. Our intention is to make balanced wines with the signature of place and structural integrity that will allow them to age.

Instructions for the Zoom Event

TO BE PART OF THE EVENT, PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING. THANK YOU.

Date/Time: Saturday May 30th @ 5PM PT / 8PM ET

Theme: If you own Walter Scott Wines (or don’t) open a bottle and join us. If you want to purchase any for delivery please check their website Walter Scott Wines - Site down

How To Connect: Launch Meeting - Zoom

We’ll be muting everyone’s audio so we can eliminate background noise. You’ll also be optioned to turn on your camera if you like…just come to learn, share and be part of the fellowship we are creating.

Cool! I’m going to start with a poxed White Burg then on to a 18 X-Voto and enjoy the show! [drinkers.gif]

Nice!

Of course I will be there. Big Fan…

Thanks Charlie

Thanks, Charlie. Happens to be my 35th and, at least in this environment, I can’t think of a better way to spend it!

Gotten a lot of messages. Will leave them as unread until we have the zoom link ready so I can reply in order as they come!

Seems exciting and Walter Scott has certainly piqued my interest. Just placed an order on their website for a mixed 6-pk. Looking forward to hopefully getting it before the Zoom (fingers crossed)! [cheers.gif]

Dude, this is awesome. So stoked!

updated and sent links to everyone. We are about half full right now.

Anybody on the East Coast want to sell me some Walter Scott? Been meaning to buy some for a while and it’s too late and hot to come across country in time for next Sat. I’ll buy a few from anyone who just has too much and wants to help a brother out. Thanks.

I think I’ve messaged back everyone that’s asked. We are at roughly 65~

Sounds amazing! Hoping our event that evening gets cancelled - then we can join! (if space permits of course [cheers.gif] )

I’ll over send about 20 invites based on people possibly not showing.

I had the opportunity to visit Walter Scott last summer- amazing winery, better wine, and even nicer people.

I was hoping to head up this month and then covid hit :frowning:

Any Berserker deal for the Zoom?!?!? flirtysmile

What a great opportunity… the barrel samples might be challenging though? Will be hard to decide which of the many awesome bottles to open. [cheers.gif]

Charlie…any room left for one more?

I opened the 2018 X-Novo chardonnay last night, fully intending to save some for tonight’s zoom, and somehow the rest of the bottle disappeared.

Guess I’ll open the 2018 Seven Springs chardonnay for the zoom event and try not to make the same “mistake” flirtysmile

Hey charlie! can I get in on this zoom? would love to listen in!