2018 Ridge Charbono - Impressions and Lab Results

2018 Ridge Napa Valley Charbono - Deep ruby color. Palate is a wonderful mix of cherry, black plum, blueberry and blackberry. The fruit is well complemented by excellent weight on the palate, bright acid, slight dustiness, supple tannins and a long finish. An exceptional wine that will age for 15-20 years. 94 Points

My friend and I were curious as to how close the numbers Ridge listed on the Charbono label were to what was actually on the bottle. The next day, he took a sample to the lab and ran PH and ABV. Ridge has the wine listed as 3.7 PH and 13.0% ABV. The results from the lab were 3.55 PH and 12.7% - very close to what they have listed. Always nice to know a winery that’s honest with its numbers.

Yup…the Ridge numbers on the label are totally honest. In fact, I suspect, given the high-tech lab
they have at Ridge, their numbers are more accurate than your friends, Ryan.
Tom

How cool - my good friends at Judd’s Hill make a Charbono sourced from Suisun Valley and it’s delicious in the way you describe. I’ll have to hunt out the Ridge, which the website says is sourced from up in Calistoga.

Charbono from Calistoga? That has to be someone who’s counter-programming! Next time I’m up I have to try that.

I think there may be a few. August Briggs and Robert Foley are others that come to mind. Have not had them recently so cannot say how they compare.

Friediani Vnyd. Old vine stuff.
Tom

1 Like