TN: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese

With one swirl, sniff, and taste and I’m transported back to the Mosel and our visit to the JJ Prum estate a couple years ago. A layer of petrol and smoke provides a delicate cover for vibrant citrus notes, including tangerine peel and mandarin orange, Kaffir lime leaves, peach tea, green apple, and slate. Concentrated apricot and peach notes on the palate yet there is a light and elegant mouthfeel, with well-incorporated sweetness and acidity, and a finish that lingers for minutes.

This wine feels like it’s only starting its evolution along a long and bright aging curve. Can’t wait to see how this continues to mature. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I feel like the 2001s in general will last forever. Thanks for the note!

Unburied a box with several bottles of 2001 Selbach-Oster. Will be diving in during June.

Looking forward to those notes David!

Such a wonderful wine

I wasn’t collecting wine when these were released, but I do remember when they were easily available in the secondary market for around $50. Really wishing I had tracked down at least a couple, but alas, never pulled the trigger.

On release this was under $30. Buying a solid case got them for under $25.

That’s a lovely note, Brian

That hurts.

Great wine. Glad to have a few more. Terrific note, Brian! Cheers.

[cheers.gif]

Phenomenal. I still try to buy '01s whenever I find them. They’re still silly cheap for the quality.

The K&L auction for three bottles right now is going for crazy pricing.

Wow. Just looked. That’s wild. I’ve purchased this wine for ~$60-70/btl in the last year. Just yesterday Benchmark offered 10 bottles of '01 JJ Prum G-H Auslese for $59/btl (unfortunately I saw the email too late).

All of that said, it’s hard to say that $170/btl is unreasonable in the context of the broader wine world. Where else can you get a 20-year-old wine from a legendary producer in an epic vintage that’s virtually guaranteed to be good?

Great TN, Brian. Wish I had some of this wine. I do have one bottle of the '01 Badstube Spatlese left…I think I drank my others too early.

Any time someone complains about Prum (or other top quality German) pricing, look at it this way: What do people pay for absolute top-quality Burgundy, Bordeaux, Sauternes, or Cote-Rotie? German Riesling seems cheap. And compared to what people pay for CA Cabs that I couldn’t even finish a glass of… Prum is like the DRC or Latour of the Mosel. It’s still a bargain.

Not only Prum, but many other great riesling producers can be bought for a song and make wines that will age gloriously.

For a Spatlese? That’s quite high. Maybe for an Auslese or GK that was immaculately stored. Maybe.

Seen new release pricing for Egon Muller lately?

The same auction has a lot composed of 01 WS Auslese sitting at a much lower per bottle cost with no bids. Is there something special about the spatlese in this vintage? Or is this just some weird auction thing?

Not for me. You can see my TN on all 3 here: TN: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Trifecta - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers