Canon 1982 is open...and corked

Grrr! Anniversary dinner, beautiful steak, and the perfect bottle, at least it should have been.

Back up bottle was a lovely Tremblay Feusselottes which I posted on recently, but I really did want to taste that Canon.

I still have 3 bottles of the 1982 Canon. Come to DC.

I’ve got 2 left. Had 1 last year and it was amazing. So sad to hear about the OP’s luck. [swearing.gif]

I opened an 82 canon tonight too.

Here is my brief note
Slightly oxidized nose. Fully mature but a ton of tertiary complexity in front of some nice red fruit. Well made but an advanced bottle.

Don’t feel bad. I also opened an 89 pichon baron that was badly corked tonight as well.

I think I have 5 from an original release purchase at $110 a case. I should open one soon.

Thanks Howard. Perhaps when this is over, but would prefer to drink Rossignol Trapet with you.

The Canon was from a beautiful pristine case in the UK. I have more bottles, but they were lying on their sides. So I have stood one up, will leave it for a week or two and drink it.

We can do that. I have a lot more than three bottles of that.

Boy, I overpaid for mine - $114 a case. [cheers.gif]

So sorry Mark! But Happy Anniversary!

My first auction purchase was Chateau Canon 1982. I was at an auction in Geneva, where we were living at the time, my French was pretty spotty, and I thought I had bought a case of Latour 1985. Instead I became the proud owner of two cases of the Canon. We drank a case and a half while we lived in Geneva, and blew the final six bottles at a Murder Mystery dinner just before we left. Lots of memories, that was why it would have been perfect for the anniversary.

I have just bought some 1990 Chambertin and 1995 Latricieres. I suspect nowhere near as good as the current stuff, but happy to open.

Happy anniversary Mark! A shame about the Canon.

i believe I have two left from an original case purchase as well.

Thanks guys.

I bought a case of ‘82 Canon prearrival from an LA area retailer and sent it to my offsite storage without opening it when it arrived. When I finally got around to opening the OWC 10 years later, every bottle showed signs of heat damage. Lesson learned; every box since has been opened on arrival.

I am very sorry that this did not work out.