UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

Hi

So I ordered a 3pk of Ceritas Chard last Sunday. It shipped out via UPS Tuesday Night with an expected arrival of Thursday. Thursday was a no show/delivery attempt as well as Friday. Today UPS states that a delivery was attempted but that’s complete BS cuz i’ve been home and I haven’t seen a single UPS truck drive by. I call UPS and they state that it will be redelivered on Tuesday due to the holiday… and explained the situation on how they missed delivery on 2 days and on the 3rd day they said they couldn’t deliver. They said they’d send a msg to the location supervisor and they would return my call by Tuesday 8pm.

(I do live in a complex with a gate, but my unit faces the street and again haven’t seen a single UPS truck drive by.)

So … 1 full day in a UPS warehouse (it was actually in LA on Wednesday @ 11am), 3 FULL days in a UPS truck driving around LA, 2 more days in a warehouse/truck somewhere + 1 more full day before they deliver the package. It’s been mid 70 to mid 80s the past few days and upcoming weekend. Is my wine toast … literally?

I’ve sent Ceritas an email asking what my options are and if a cold pack was placed, but that was after the 1st missed delivery. I dont think any cold pack will do 1 full week …

If I miss a delivery or get a bogus attempt I always schedule a pickup at the depot the next day. Not sure what you can do at this point, maybe the winery will be nice, but it’s not really their fault either. We just shouldn’t be shipping wine right now.

I say that as I’m kind of in the same boat as a three pack of cheap wine I ordered didn’t make it’s Friday estimate. It will be cooked by Tuesday but It’s my fault though really for even taking the risk.

FYI, we as shippers using UPS we have been notified that they do not guarantee shipping dates/arrivals due to the Corona Virus impacts. Saying they made an attempt doesn’t fly, particularly when they didn’t leave a tag on your door at the attempted delivery time, albeit, FedEx left a tag on my door of an attempted delivery at 10:20 AM, but I arrived at the store at 9:40 AM to find the tag. That’s another story.

I honestly think the wines might be ok still. We dont give wines enough credit. They arent that fragile as we make it out to be. 70-80s I think its ok. Especially if they are wines you will drink soon.

I wouldn’t panic. Although of course not ideal, unless seal is somehow broken, cork has pushed and air has entered, they stay pretty sealed. Just age a little faster which is less critical on whites.

I’ve done some very unscientific test with my own wines. A few returned wines that had been delivered, never picked up at depot, then eventually returned. Another pack was misplaced by FedEx and spent almost 2 weeks on the lam before it turned up. I swapped that one out for a fresh set, of course (made it easier as it was local). Sampled wines from both packages side by side with correctly stored wines and could find no difference. Now that said, this was during April and May, so mean temps were a little lower.

Yeah high temps are worst for long periods. I had a bottle that sat in a warm storage room all summer. The cork pushed up and it tasted cooked to me. Others thought it tasted fine. We tried it side by side with a properly stored bottle and everyone could taste a difference, but it’s not like the wine was totally ruined. Of course that’s way different than a few days.

I agree with the others saying that I think the wines will be OK, especially if its not 80 degrees there. also I agree that if I miss a delivery its normally best to schedule to pick it up at the hub.

Thanks for the replies. I’m just extremely frustrated with them as I’ve been waiting and each day UPS My Home delivery says 10:45am to 12:45pm so I stay home and wait.

Thought about this, but couldn’t even do it till today cuz today was the first attempt… I could go pickup on Tuesday at their warehouse. Which I might…

No tag. I’ve been hearing from my neighbors that UPS has been running late for the last few days with the same BS. Package on truck for delivery. Reschedule Delivery…

Sigh I know I’m not going to hold on to these for too long, but I was gonna open one to see what the big hoopla with Ceritas was. Then I was gonna hold on to the other two for at least a year or two … as I typically like my Chardonnay around 2-4 yrs from release.

After many fake “attempted to deliver” by Fedex, now I only ship wines to my local Walgreens FedEx pickup location. If a shop uses UPS, I ask them to ship with FedEx. Now I have 0 problems with delivery and I am not stuck at home waiting for my packages.

Been there so many times. I don’t have any great suggestions. I doubt you will get much sympathy from UPS. At least that is my experience. They do have centers that you can pick up the wines before they hit the truck but as in most areas they are highly inconvenient to access. Feeling for you.

I switched all wine deliveries from my business to my house due to my impending retirement. So the first time we sat around on a Friday (didn’t want to miss it and have it sit in a hot truck over the weekend) waiting for the delivery guy felt like we were watching paint dry.
Then I discovered the “manage your delivery” link. Once we have the tracking number, I reroute the package to a local drug store and pick it up later in the day at my convenience. It has worked perfectly now for the last few shipments and we can go for a hike instead of waiting to give the delivery guy a signature.

Michael,
Can anyone reroute or do you have to sign up for My UPS to do it?

I did it awhile ago, but I think you just need to create an online account.

Just create an account and you can do it.

Both UPS and FedEx have had bogus deliveries the last few weeks. I talked to my regular FedEx driver on Friday, and he said they are scheduling more packages than can fit on his truck. It’s been 50% or more higher volume for him during the pandemic. No way everything can get out.

Which drug store accepts UPS deliveries? The fed ex to Walgreens has been a huge convenience for me.

Thanks Michael, David
Looks like my Patty Green shipment just docked today here in NJ at my local distribution center

Will let it ride for delivery. I have had zero problems with UPS deliveries

FedEx I usually route to Walgreens

+1 FedEx to the FedEx Store for pick-up. I try to stay away from UPS.

Walgreens, CVS

Here in MA this has happened a lot recently, mainly with FedEx. Bc of high volume of packages they’ve had to subcontract deliveries, meaning these new drivers miss our house 50% of the time. We’re home all day and we get the ‘no one home’ notice via email. Sucks but I bet you also have a new driver who is getting acclimated to their route.

in my experience Not all packages can be rerouted by the recipient. The sender has to enable it. For example Ridge shipments can’t be rerouted by the receipient.