Memorial Weekend in Memorium Wines

In Memorium Patrick Bize (1952-2013)

For the Flannery zoom chat yesterday, I wanted to do something special. Given that it was Memorial Day weekend, I opened up a 2007 Simon Bize Latricieres Chambertin (via Coravin). I met Patrick Bize one afternoon visiting with a fellow Board Member. I’m guessing June 2011. It was during the Music et Vin festival. He entertained us with tales and wine for a great, long afternoon visit. He sold me this bottle as a souvenir. My buddy swapped jackets with him [cheers.gif] (I believe he got a Bize jacket in exchange for the windbreaker he had on).

I visited the following year as well, but he was out of town. Luckily I had a wonderful time with his wife Chisa, who is now making the wines.

He passed not long after that (10/20/2013, age 61).

The wine is very pleasurable, more powerful and sauvage than one might think for a Latricieres (and the vintage), but maybe it was because I didn’t give it air. I’ll finish it during the week, and see if my first impressions hold up. (92+).

Anyone else drinking a wine in memory of someone this weekend? Feel free to add to this thread.