Caymus cries foul

“Caymus Vineyards announced today its filing…against Governor Gavin Newsome…alleging discriminatory treatment in the state’s reopening plan for non-essential businesses…continued closure of wineries that don’t serve food violates the Equal Protection, Due Process, and Takings Clauses of both the U.S. and California Constitutions”

No word on whether the court filing was enhanced with oak chips and grape must concentrate for added impact.

I think the family’s politics may be pretty conservative. I recall old man Wagner rant in quite a reactionary way in the tasting room back in the 80s. I’m not surprised that they’re challenging the state’s rules.

“Caymus Owner Chuck Wagner Sues California over Tasting Room Closures
Napa veteran calls it unfair that wineries serving food can open tasting rooms while others—including all Napa wineries—cannot”

Why doesn’t Caymus just get a toaster oven, serve some Hot Pockets and call it good?? champagne.gif

Between this and the Beckstoffer thread, I really dislike Caymus. Guess I never was their target audience

you have to be “conservative” to want your winery to open when you see other wineries opening and you can’t? Huh? what does that have to do with anything in this case?

As it cries, so shall it taste.

Maybe just some flapjacks, over which they can pour their wine?

For wineries, however, the most recent orders permit the reopening of winery tasting areas only if they also provide sit-down meals. Any winery that does not or cannot provide such meals – and provides only wine tasting– may not reopen. The complaint alleges this makes no sense, and specifically harms Napa County wineries because county law prohibits wineries from offering full-meal service in the first place.

So, county law is the problem. He wants to bitch and moan, but it would be bad politics to challenge the county.

Obviously the intent for this stage is small businesses that cater to local customers, not businesses bringing in tourists. Instead of a blanket prohibition against all wineries opening, ones that can act like a restaurant can open under the terms. He could be an adult and wait a little longer. He could appeal to the county to waiver rules so he and others (who I doubt he gives a rats ass about) can innovate and reopen early. Or, he can be a whiny privileged bitch, feeling entitled to a special exception.

Can’t stand Caymus, but many wineries are adding food to their menu just so they can open and do tastings (just got an email from Melville to that effect). I kind of get his point. Either you are open and have safe distancing protocols or you are not. I’m not an expert on this issue, but what does serving food have to do with safe distancing?

It does seem unfair. Not saying a lawsuit is the best way to go about addressing this (maybe it is; maybe it isn’t ---- it’s debatable), but the decision by Newsom is a head-scratcher to me.

If I were a politician I would not want to open too quickly because if things don;t work out, guess who gets the blame??

On the other hand, sometimes I feel , Let’s open up and get this thing over with?? Otherwise. at the rate we are going, I will die of natural causes before the pandemic is over.

Also, it’s not just Caymus that thinks this makes no sense. From the SF Chronicle:

“Many wine industry leaders say no. On Tuesday, the heads of 31 California regional wine associations — groups like the Napa Valley Vintners, the Lodi Winegrape Commission and Monterey County Vintners — sent a letter to Gov. Gavin Newsom asking him to reconsider the food-service condition. “It strikes us as illogical that a winery must offer a ‘sit-down, dine-in meal’ as a condition to reopen,” the letter reads. “If a winery can safely reopen with food service, a winery can certainly reopen safely without food service.”

Same reason bars aren’t opening. The wineries opening with food is mostly a loophole. The idea is that you won’t be a drunkard with some a meal in front of you opposed to crushing tasting after tasting

They underestimate me. I can be a quality drunkard with or without food.

In California, no one’s able to do tastings yet. If you serve food (either out of a self-contained kitchen or partnering with a caterer or food-truck) you can serve wine by the glass or bottle for on-premise consumption. Tasting flights are not allowed.

tjat would likely require 3 new licenses and permits in California, to buy Hot Pockets, to toast them, and to sell or give away.

Again, the question is what is the difference? You have social distancing regulations and enforce them. Whether food is served or not is really not the issue.

I feel so sorry for them. They must be really struggling right now. Maybe we should start buying their 2019s right now. And then pour them down the drain.

I don’t really envy lawmakers here. It’s kind of obvious what the intent is here unless you really need to paint some picture of your own biases. They are saying restaurants are cool but barhopping and roaming from place to place to drink are not.

It’s pretty obvious that tasting rooms have people going from here to there tourist fashion. Great way to spread viruses. Restaurants don’t work that way.

So of course that leaves a lot of businesses that are both or straddle lines in some way, in. And the ones left out cry foul.

I find it hard to sympathize with tasting rooms. I get people need revenue but viruses don’t disappear because people think they have been closed long enough. These types of places are kind of obvious to be among the last to reopen given the circumstances.

For Caymus he looks ridiculous here. Except for people are particular leanings who will probably go out of their way to support him now. I wouldn’t be surprised if that is his actual goal anyway.

Maybe they figure the ageusia will work in their favor?