10 champagnes incl 06` Dom Ruinart, Taittinger Comtes, Launois and Dom, 96` Salon, 05` Dom Rose and more

Some good friends were enjoying a fine Blanc de Blanc champagne on their outside patio a couple of weeks ago and had a vision of doing the same with a small group of their friends while creating a safe environment.

As a result, their vision came to fruition and a small group of us gathered on their lawn and enjoyed a fine mid afternoon with some fabulous champagnes and equally exceptional fellowship.

The vibration of love and friendship amongst all of the people was palpable and deeply felt. This was truly a special occasion and to celebrate with righteous Blanc de Blanc was the perfect medium to do so. Here’s a sampling of what we drank in the order I tasted them:

NV GUY CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC BRUT RESERVE- made from grand cru vineyards in Mesnil, Oger and Avize, this entry level bubbly from this house got off to a slow start with some weird notes of hay, straw, herbal and hazelnut laden stone fruit delivered somewhat fractionalized; somehow, it all came together in about 10 minutes and marinated into something much more approachable and pleasant; it had a somewhat viscous texture which gave it nice feel and lemon and yellow peach flavors dominated the taste profile.

6785B08C-64EB-4168-998D-6C507BDDCB5D_1_201_a.jpeg
2006 DOM RUINART BLANC de BLANC BRUT- disgorged 12/ 2016 with 4.5 gpl dosage; comprised of Chardonnay Grands Crus: 63% from the Côte des Blancs (predominantly Chouilly, Le Mesnil and Avize) and 37% from the northern slope of the Montagne de Reims (predominantly Sillery and Puisieulx); this was the antithesis of the above champagne and the WOTD for most as it turned out; there is a sense of royalty in the nose with inviting aromas of spicy citrus which on the palate turns out to include lemon, apple and white nectarine; it has body and a luscious mousse, amazing balance and bright acidity; it’s all I ever desire in a champagne and exudes class along with its charming elegance.

795663D4-410D-4FBC-8D01-0ABE43EDB868.jpeg
2006 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC BRUT bottle #1 of 2- this may be bottle #30 if my count is accurate and as good as any; it had the requisite toasty brioche with generous and balanced amount of spicy citrus notes, lemon and lime most prevalent; the mousse is creamy, rich and luscious adding substantial mouthfeel to the fabulous overall experience.

2006 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC BRUT bottle #2- although it arrived later on, the notes were very consistent with those above, I just placed mention into this slot; it now becomes my bottle #31 and there’s at least 8 more in the cellar and hopefully, a few will survive long enough to allow for greater maturity as this marvelous bubbly continues to please while advancing.

2A41EFE8-169D-4AB8-8369-1EAB7B19E5F4.jpeg
1996 SALON BLANC de BLANC LE MESNIL BRUT- this was such a wonderful, legendary champagne for our hosts to pull out for the occasion; I had actually thought about bringing one, but opted for the Ruinart instead and now I get both; I actually loved it although some others commented it had too many oxidative notes for them; Im am not a fan of champagnes that reach that state and prefer to drink them before they express nutty and Sherry like flavors, but this was not to that extent; the color was a surprising medium yellow and the nose had a touch of butterscotch/ caramel, but I got more creme brûlée and lemon meringue; golden delicious apple and white peach joined in with a touch of gardenia in the background; it was so creamy and rich and the goodies just glided to the back end with ease and then held on for a lasting finish; for me, this was just at its apex and Im thinking I need to open 1 of the 3 I have remaining sooner than later.

An interesting aside, the bottle has an embossed relief (the word “Salon”) at the point where the bottle begins to taper toward the neck, a special technique is required to prevent sediment collecting in the lines of the relief. The bottle starts out with the embossed relief at the 12 o’clock position. From that point, it is riddled left to right, then right to left, until the sediment is trapped at the top of the neck of the bottle.

ABC17418-1F8B-447C-A859-6B3B7214E04C.jpeg
2006 DOM PERIGNON BRUT- well, it’s not a BdB, but no-one cared and in fact, all stuck out their glass for a pour once it was opened and it showed beautifully; it had some of the classic mild toasted brioche notes to add to the fresh citrus fruit that was more lemon and lime with a hint of minerals, saline and chalk; its creamy texture added to its classiness as well as its subtle elegance.

B6514466-D643-4831-9617-5F35855B0341.jpeg
NV PIERRE PETERS CUVEE de RESERVE BLANC de BLANC- when I saw this, my mind immediately went to one of the top visits we had in Champagne years ago when we spent the afternoon with Rudolph and tasted numerous bottles, some coming from his father’s cellar; I believe this is the latest release and comes from a blend of 50% of a 2014 base year and 50% from last year’s blend, which had gone into the family solera of reserve wines that dates back to 1988; 6.5% gpl dosage; pear and apple fruit are most prevalent initially but in time, mineral laden mango, apricot and mandarin come in and add more layered depth and feel; it`s drinking really good now and will no doubt benefit from some time in the bottle.

757D6ABC-CC0D-4A95-9E04-2736049F6FB3_4_5005_c.jpeg
2006 LAUNOIS SPECIAL CLUB LE MESNIL BLANC de BLANC BRUT- this was full on, rich and so giving of its treasures; it had lots of citrus notes with some saline and chalk accents and held up nicely against some of the better wines of the day.

C463FA92-277D-42DD-990E-7C585CC136D9_4_5005_c.jpeg
NV AGRAPART TERRIORS EXTRA BRUT BLANC de BLANC- a blend of 2 vintages from specifically chosen vineyard blocks in AVIZE, OGER, CRAMANT and OIRY; bottled 5/15 and disgorged 1/19, 2 months before the release date with a 5 gpl dosage; it’s full bodied with a mouthful of stone and citrus fruit, with apricot, pear, lemon and apple notes on the palate; it had a lovely mousse which extended the finish delightfully.

7B5944A5-A9FA-484B-B912-729119EBBCC2_1_201_a.jpeg
2005 DOM PERIGNON BRUT ROSE- yowza! where did this come from and who bought it? It appeared late into the afternoon and when Im thinking we’ve had a pretty good day and Im happy, I just got happier at least from the standpoint of tasting something I`ve never had and s highly respected rose; it definitely was mature with tertiary dried fruit flavors, but overall, it drank just well enough to re-try; it was a fitting climax to a wondrous, soft re-entering into the social world after 3 months of avoidance; I later on found out it came from our hosts who had opened it the day before and brought it back out for a re-taste, asserting it was not much better.

674A5BA6-87B8-44E8-B2DC-17653A848214_1_201_a.jpeg
I am struggling to find the right and adequate amount of superlatives to express how special this time was. We all needed to take a breath of nearby fresh ocean bathed air and celebrate all we are thankful for including our companionship with those who are near and dear to us. We did it righteously enough to set up another one the next week.

Cheers,
Blake

Really enjoying - even if through jealously gritted teeth - your posts as of late, Blake. Clearly infused with a lot of joy and appreciation.

BB, you’re really good at notes in general, but your notes on champagne are above and beyond.
Extremely well done,
Bz

Many thanks Sean and Bz. The joy is in the bottle.

Wow, what a lineup, any one of those would have made a great day. Glad to see you are still drinking well Blake, cheers!

Hi Tom, got to drink well in times where things are not so well. Well, I guess it’s good to drink well regardless.

Blake, as I read your notes, the Dom Ruinart 2006 was the favorite wine of the group over some heady company including the Dom Perignon Rose, the Taittinger CdC and the 1996 Salon. Wow!!! Was the Dom Ruinart also your favorite? I am a fan of Dom Ruinart and my epiphany on Champagne came in around 2007 or 2008 in a big tasting of Dom Ruinart at a dinner in DC with Frédéric Panaïotis leading the tasting - the epiphany wine was a 1979 Rose from Magnum. So, I am asking if this was your choice as well, not questioning the consensus of the group as I also love 1996 Salon and 2006 CdC.

Yes Howard, the Dom Ruinart was my fav. It was great to pair it against the 06` CdC as I have had a love affair with that bubbly for a few years now and still do, but it was not even close as to which one showed the best.

The 96 Salon was really good and I was in the minority of those who thought so. Ive had quite a few and this definitely was the most advanced of any, but not to a fault IMHO.

The 05 Dom Rose was way underperforming and I have to think this was a drastic bottle variation from the norm for whatever reason. Tertiary fruit in this 05 should not be happening.

BTW, I owe it to Brad Baker who connected me with the house when we visited for 10 days. I had been told to go there for the tour of their caves which were said to be the most impressive of all including Veuve Cilquot which I had seen a couple of times. But, it was their wines that got my attention. We were poured a super generous glass full of the NV Ruinart Rose to have during the private tour and after 30 minutes, they refilled it. And this was prior to going into their library like tasting room to have a private tasting of some older bottles as well as current releases. I left not only with a significant buzz, but a huge admiration of this house`s wines.

Blake,

I have not had the Taittinger and Dom Ruinart 2006s side-by-side, but I have had the Taittinger numerous times and tasted the Dom Ruinart when I visited there a couple of years ago - in summer 2008, I was in Burgundy for several days and had one day in Reims. We visited Taittinger and Ruinart. Both great visits. The 2006 Dom Ruinart is very impressive, as is the Taittinger CdC of course. I am not surprised by your preference.

We only had four wines when we visited Ruinart - white and rose NV Ruinart, 2004 Rose and 2006 Blanc. I have been to a couple of more extensive tastings of Dom Ruinart in DC. As I understand it, Brad Baker asked a friend of mine to set up a tasting somewhere around 2007-9 when Frédéric Panaïotis had just been appointed head winemaker there. So, I got to attend even though I was not a big Champagne drinker at the time. The tasting then was a real eye opener. And, about a decade later, I really enjoyed both visits during my day in Reims. Both caves are really impressive.

I own a lot more Taittinger CdC than Dom Ruinart mostly because it is a lot easier to find. I love them both. I have never bought Salon, but I am starting to buy Delamotte vintage wines. Oddly, I am not a huge fan of Dom Perignon.

Nice Howard. It was the very same Frederic Paniotis who greeted and tasted us after our tour which was led by an extremely attractive and well informed guide, Julie Murez. She was decked out in an Armani pant suit and wore very high heels and it was all we could do to keep up with her as she bounded down the 3 flights of stairs to the caves, with Rose in hand. The climb back up was even more impressive, but I managed to stay on her heels, sort of.

Didn’t really love the city of Reims, but very much enjoyed Taittinger and Ruinart (and the Chagall stained glass windows at the Cathedral).

We stayed at Hotel Jeanson in Ay which is owned by the Goutorbe family and a perfect central place to span out from in all directions. This was another Brad Baker turn on.

more pics:
0568F1F0-FEB8-418A-85F7-E474F990756D_4_5005_c.jpeg
5EC97339-8AEF-4307-9EFB-E988AA0B368F_1_201_a.jpeg

Tremendous recap of what was a great get-together, Blake. Hope we can pop some corks again together soon! [cheers.gif]

Appreciate it and do look forward to another time hopefully sooner than later.

Great report, thanks Blake!

That “Guy” is actually Guy Charlemagne. We tasted there when we visited in 2006 and have always liked the vintage wine from all Mesnil fruit as a great, affordable expression of Mesnil. Their facility was right across the street (alley?) from Salon.

Great lineup. Sounds like a good afternoon of camaraderie.

Cheers,
fred

Blake,

You cannot be stopped! Beautiful wines and report.

Julie Murez was absolutely dynamite at Ruiniart. She is one of the best in the business at her job and, you may already know this, in 2012 was promoted to lead hospitality at Krug. It is no surprise that Krug hospitality went up a notch when she took the reins.

Great to know about Ms Murez. She has to be the best front person I’ve ever encountered when visiting a winery or anywhere else for that matter. I still have really clear images in my mind bounding down and back up the 3 flights of stairs to see their caves trying to keep up with her and I`m wearing comfortable, cushy Eccos and she’s in 4" high heels.