Bevan 2018 Bordeaux Release

2018 is going to be a pretty exceptional vintage for Napa Cabernet. Russell Bevan’s release opened up today. One of the “better deals” that I’ve been keeping my eye out for is the Bevan 2018 Ontogeny for $95. Price seems fair considering its declassified vineyard designate at half the cost of its designated big brothers. FWIW, Dunnuck gave it a 97-99 pts.

On a side note, its 100 degrees here today. The Bevan 2019 Sauvignon Blanc is always near the very top quality SB’s in California. Killer stuff from a single vineyard for $38.

Cheers [cheers.gif]

Big fan of RB and what he does with Tench and the BDX blends. I picked up a few today, but I’m far more interested in what will be released later this year, including a Dr. Crane SVD.

Ontogeny is one of the great “values” of California Bordeaux varieties.

Michael, do you know which wines are coming later this year? Looks like Houyi and maybe Harbison & Tin Box?

The 2nd release will include:

Dr. Crane
Saunders Cab Sauv
Saunders Cab Franc
Houyi
Sentinel Ridge
Calixtro
Harbison

Current release includes:

Ontogeny
EE
Tench
Wildfoote Vineyard “Vixen Block”
Sage Ridge
Sugarloaf

Hope this helps. Still figuring out which ones I’m targeting. They all sound and read great!

Thank you for the listing! Have they made a Saunders Cab Franc before or is that a new bottling?

The Saunders Cab Franc (V95-98) (JD96-99) and Dr. Crane (V95-98) (JD 98-99) are new bottlings for 2018 vintage. Galloni and Dunnuck barrel tasted both and gave rave reviews. I plan on grabbing a few from both releases.

I wonder who got dropped from the Crane client list to make way for Bevan? Or is it simply due to the higher yields in the ‘18 vintage?

What did the wine critics say about the taste profile of the Cab Franc and the second Houyi vintage?

I had a RB sub but it ran out. I just need to get another one and also the JD sub!

Thank you

1 Like

Do they ship all at once?

Looks like Beckstoffer needs to update the Dr Crane list, only current to 2017 Beckstoffer Vineyards: Dr. Crane Vineyard Wine

The e-mail indicates that three of the wines got potentially perfect scores from Jeb Dunnuck in his barrel sample reviews. I am curious as to which three.

I did have the chance to drink some of the 2018’s with Russell and Victoria several weeks ago in Atlanta. Highlights for me were the Wildfoote and the Crane. Also had the EE, Tench, Sugarloaf and Ontogeny. 2018 should be a great vintage for Bevan based on my early taste. Looking forward to getting some in the cellar.

1 Like

Dr. Crane 98-100
EE Tench 98-100 - I recently popped a 2015 and it’s my WOTY, mind-blowing delicious!
Sentinel Ridge 97-100

I’m very intrigued by the Bevan Dr. Crane!! I usually am a 6 pack buyer of Ontogeny, but I’ll hopefully be able to pick up a Dr. Crane when offered (fingers crossed, since I’m not sure on the case production on that one).

Order in on Dr. Crane…after watching their review of it, I’m even more sold…can’t wait to try it!

Dr Crane review starts at 11:10

In for a case! [cheers.gif] flirtysmile

I ended up picking up 3 Bevan Dr. Crane, with all of the recent offers I’ve had to scale back in order to get some from all of my favorites (Greer, William and Mary, Bevan) in this late September release cycle…wish I could get more, but excited to try Russell’s take on Dr. Crane!

Bevan is my perennial favorite. Went deep. Can’t wait to see what Russell did with Dr. Crane and excited to discover what the Cab Franc off of Saunders is like.

Might have to grab some Dr Crane. Wish there were a few tasting notes for it. Hard to know how many are left too

What was the price/per for the Dr?