Vinous Learn - Interactive Napa Tastings with Antonio Galloni

I see that Antonio Galloni has launched the “Vinous Learn” program; first out of the gate is a Napa interactive tasting package. Two tiers to choose from, 24 wines tasted over 8 weekly sessions with Antonio, includes the Vinous Napa maps, Coravin 5 system, and areator. The economist in me priced everything out, and going by the WS-Low prices, both tiers represent good value, assuming you don’t already have a Coravin system. The wines for the top tier (Collector) are below, some pretty amazing juice. The second tier (Explorer) is actually priced below a bit below WS-low prices. Anyone else sign up? I’m in [cheers.gif]

HOWELL MOUNTAIN:
2015 Abreu Las Posadas Red
2017 Cade Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon
2014 Dunn Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon

OAKVILLE:
2014 Dalla Valle Cabernet Sauvignon
2017 TOR ‘Beckstoffer ToKalon’ Cabernet Sauvignon
2014 VHR- Vine Hill Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon

PRITCHARD HILL:
2016 Chappellet Pritchard Hill Cabernet Sauvignon
2017 Continuum Estate Red
2014 Colgin IX Estate Red

RUTHERFORD:
2016 BV Georges de Latour Cabernet Sauvignon
2014 Dana ‘Helms Vineyard’ Cabernet Sauvignon
2014 Staglin Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

ST. HELENA & CONN VALLEY:
2016 Corison Kronos Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
2017 Spottswoode Cabernet Sauvignon
2016 Stone the Crows Cabernet Sauvignon

STAGS LEAP DISTRICT:
2016 Cliff Lede Poetry Cabernet Sauvignon
2015 Shafer Hillside Select Cabernet Sauvignon
2017 Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars S.L.V. Cabernet Sauvignon

YOUNTVILLE:
2015 Blankiet Proprietary Red
2009 Dominus Estate Red
2014 Kapcsandy Grand Vin Cabernet Sauvignon

UNDER THE RADAR NAPA VALLEY:
2016 Ad Vivum Sleeping Lady Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
2017 Bevan Saunders Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
2016 Kinsman Eades ‘Rhadamanthus’ Red

is there a way to participate on these if you don’t want to purchase the wines (mostly because already have a couple of the above mentioned?) and sadly already have a coravin, so i don’t know how much economic sense it would make…

[drift]

There’s a Legends Master Class virtual tasting this evening at 5:00 pm featuring the Moon Mountain District AVA.

Link with more info

[/drift]

Do you mind sharing the W-S breakdown? I actually did a little table napkin math and assuming you unload the Coravin for $250 or so on eBay, that comes to about $265/bottle on the 24 wines in the higher tier package. That seemed to me to be about right for most of the wines on that list while it represented a serious value on a couple … Abreu, Colgin and Kapcsandy come to mind, not to mention some of the back vintage stuff that you know comes right from the producer…

Assuming a value of $370 for the aerator and coravin 5 system, $175 for the maps, and factoring in $150 for the included 2-day shipping, you end up paying a little over $200 premium vs. WS Low for everything. That’s assuming the WS-low prices are real and in stock; I didn’t click through to the individual sites to verify. I priced the wines at $5700 using WS-low.

I really liked this discussion. The winemakers all had a lot of praise for Phil Coturri’s farming prowess. I’ve been listening to “The Winemaker’s” podcast, which features his son Sam and some other Sonoma winemakers, so I’m somewhat familiar with him. This was a great deep dive into the AVA.

agreed. i like how AG let everyone talk and tell their respective stories, and the universal love for Phil Coturri is undeniable.

Is there a link for the Vinous Learn Napa? Can’t find it on the vinous.com site.

Sounds interesting, thanks.

Here’s a link to the “explorer” tier. I didn’t see it mentioned on vinous.com anywhere, which is a bit odd. But Antonio replied personally about it on his board.

I would love to participate but the last thing I need is to order more wine! [cry.gif] And I also already own a Coravin. I would like to be able to watch the program, maybe even buy the maps without having to buy all that wine. The pricing on the Collector Kit is good…except that you have to purchase 24 bottles and I, frankly, do not have room for that much more wine. Oh well, the rest of you that sign up [worship.gif] please let us know some details when you can. Please! flirtysmile

Dennis