Toasting lost friends

I received sad news this morning that two friends who loved food and wine died last night. Rob S. was a childhood friend from NY. He’s been ill, so it was not totally unexpected. We lost touch in the late seventies. He was kind of low-brow growing up, but when we reconnected last year, he was a renaissance man. He had started collecting wine soon after high school, and had become a gourmand with a great palate. He called his wine cellar his “wine-oh-one-K.”

Mike D. was a chef in mid-Michigan, fit and athletic, who died unexpectedly in his sleep. I’ve know him for twenty years. Both were sixty.

I mourn them, but will celebrate them for a while with wines I know they’d love and would love to talk about if we were able.

Cheers, open the good bottles, and love your family, your friends and your life.

WT
IMG_6212.jpeg
IMG_6194.jpeg
IMG_6192.jpeg
IMG_1850 2.jpg
IMG_8310.jpg

Very sorry for your loss.

Condolences to you for the loss of your friends. Sounds like both of them lived life well.

Very sorry, Warren. Life is indeed precious.

Very sad news Warren, sorry for your loss.

Tom

That was a beautiful post.

Your approach to this sort of thing is inspiring.

Thanks for the post and the reminder.

Well that stinks, sorry Warren. Isn’t it strange that you can tell from a photo that the guy in the top pic was a blast and the guy you run to at a party-

Saddened to hear about Rob. I last saw and spoke with him in February at a gala event. His was a gentle soul. He was forced to deal with many difficult things in the later part of his life.
Passionate about wine, food, and fly fishing. Always had a kind word and enthusiasm for life.
RIP my friend.

Condolences to you, Warren. Your post was a very nice tribute to your friends.

Ed

I’m sorry to see this Warren, thanks for posting and very good advice.

Condolences Warren. Take care.

Oh no, hadn’t heard that Rob S. had passed.
I thought his medical issues were behind him.

Was a bit eccentric but he had a really good heart.
We exchanged countless pours of Champagne at dozens and dozens of auctions.

Like Ray, I didn’t know he had passed. What a funny man - eccentric and sometimes infuriating, but kind and generous and loving to his friends for sure. I will raise a glass to his memory tonight.

Warren, my friends and family are my gold, treasured and so I imagine what this must feel like for you, man. Sorry to hear, but bless you for thinking of them and sharing with us, too. Hang in there, Warren.

Very sorry for your loss. There’s never enough time.

Sorry to hear that, Warren. It sounds like they had a good life and you were a good friend. Those are important in life.

Memories are sometimes all we have. You’ve been blessed with good ones.
Thank you for posting.

Chet, Ray and Sarah,

He and I grew up next door to each other, childhood friends. It’s interesting we both independently were drawn into the world of wine. Your descriptions of him are perfect; passionate, generous, enthusiastic and big hearted, while eccentric and at times opinionated, annoying and infuriating.

Thanks for sharing your memories

Here’s to lost friends. That seems to be the problem with growing old. Your best friends all gradually fade out. So we drink in their memory.