heat-proof budget wines?

Hi

We’ve been quarantining wine deliveries for a while, and now it’s getting into the 80s and 90s here in LA… I was thinking to get some inexpensive everyday type wines that are “heat-proof” - for example I think some fortified wines like port and madeira and sherry? Are these actually heat-proof? Are there any others? Any that are lighter, not fortified?

Thanks for your advice!
-Neal

Rather than limit yourself to specific types of wine out of concern for temperatures, I would look around and see if you can find local wine purveyors who are willing to deliver it directly to you, so you can arrange shipment when you are available. There are certainly several shops in my town that are doing exactly that.

There’s a recent thread about wine and heat. For everyday drinking wines that you’re going to drink soon, some mild short term heat is unlikely to cause any issues. Long term heat exposure on aging wines is a different story.

Madeira is the most “heat proof” although not completely immune. In the summer, I like Verdelho and Sercial.

+1

Many years ago I moved into a house that had a “quirky” thermostat. I brought a number of cases of wine with me the day I moved in, and left them to go to work. When I got home the house was 94 degrees and most the bottles in the cases were seeping wine past the cork.

We had a series of get togethers over the next week and worked through all of the seeping bottles, looking to see how bad they would be. All were in good shape in that week though, and most were reasonably delicious. Though I would not want to have cellared them.

This is your most relevant answer, I think.

that’s way better than the typical “help me move and I’ll buy you pizza!”