TN: 2010 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grézeaux - WOW WOW

This, folks, is why we mature Chinon. Sure, 10 years old is not that old, but trust me, the difference between this wine on release and now is mind-blowing. I knew it would be good, and stuck it in the dark recesses of my cellar, but wow am I thrilled by how this Chinon is showing. And it’s got more legs for growth.

Incidentally, I have always thought in a classic year like 2010, Grezeaux could actually make the best, most archetype Chinon in the Baudry stable. By far the oldest vines Baudry owns and on gravel. But I digresss . . . .

Savory, smoky nose of brambly red fruits in a vegetable garden patch with a lazy cool river flowing casually nearby. You can taste riverbed in this wine. Love the intensity of crisp red fruits in juxtaposition to some silkier reds and darks. Has some traditional Chinon herbaceousness but it is a subtle note in an otherwise perfectly ripe Cabernet Franc. Tannins still chalky and chewy but with a nice sweet-tart finish to them. Lots of minerally texture to this wine and finish.

(93 pts.)

AEFA2E95-85CD-48E9-99DB-729163E22C89.jpeg

1 Like

Wow, I am stoked!. We have 5 of these… Cost $26 including shipping. Thanks for the note!

One of few Le Grezeaux I stored, some of this and a sh!tload of 2014s. Glad I did. Thanks for the TN!

I had this and the 2009 in my hands to take upstairs just a few days ago and changed my mind to something else. Sounds like my first instinct was right. Will move them to top of the list for this weekend.

Time to excavate.

I have three of these, plus four 2010 Le Clos Guillot. Probably should enjoy at least a few of them this year.

Just jumped on CT and saw our boy Salil’s note. Just texted him, he’s big on this wine, and the kid has a stellar palate. I think this 2010 rivals 2005, and both can still play the long ball game.

I think 2014 is the next major winner for Grezeaux. Grabbed some 2018 based on the Chris Kissack hype.

Always worth a check given how many you have. I popped the 2009 Guillot a few weeks, but was not thrilled. It was just ok.

Nice. 5 still in the cellar since release. Thanks for the update!

RT

Good to hear. If I had more than 2 bottles, I’d pop one soon. But happy to sit on mine for awhile.

Robert, have you had the '16? Wondering what your aging thoughts are for that one.

Glad to hear the 10 is showing well already. The 05 still is not even close to ready. But will one day be spectacular.

Has anyone tried the 2005 Grezeaux in the last 3 years? Any thoughts?

Here is my most recent note, from a magnum:

2005 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grézeaux - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (12/24/2018)
Really beautiful, very Grézeaux nose. It’s tough sledding on the palate, though. Served with prime rib roast on Christmas Eve helped but this wine has gone in a direction I didn’t anticipate. I remember talking to Matthieu after tasting through the barrel samples of the 2005s. He had never seen anything like them in terms of the numbers. The ripeness and also the tannins were the highest he’d ever measured and he wasn’t sure what to make of the wines. He and I were much more confident about how the more classically styled 2004 would age and that has mostly played out. This wine seems to be drying out a bit, but I’m not really sure. I also think that given the changing climate and bigger, riper vintages, I think he’s learned a thing or two about tannin management. I guess this should be buried for 3-5 more years, then check again. (90 pts.)

This follows a bottle from June 22, 2018 that made me worry that the wine was drying out. I’d love to know others experiences. I still have a few bottles that I’ll play the waiting game with.

Great stuff, Robert, especially this, which I found very interesting indeed:

I need to find some older Grézeaux to try! Not easy, even here!

1 Like

Nicccce, thanks for the note. Have one each of this, Clos Guillot and Croix Boissée 2010 in the cellar, I think I’ll wait a few years though.

1 Like

So many of the wines in my cellar could easily be found on the secondary market now. In retrospect, I wish I collected more wines like this, Cru Beaujolais, etc that are delicious but near impossible to find with age.

Absolutely - we live and learn. Our tastes change and it’s impossible to know how or when. I’m lucky in that I can find many older Loire wines here, but some a lot easier than others. Baudry’s wines are surprisingly difficult to find and often very expensive. For example, there is a lot of three Croix de Boissée 2008 at auction now, which I wouldn’t mind tasting at all - but the starting price is 60 euros a bottle!

Robert, great note. Envious since I didn’t get onto Baudry till the 2014 vintage. But glad I ultimately did, and it was mostly due to your influence! Turns out my palate is pretty yak-like [wink.gif]. My problem going forward will be exercising patience. These wines are so delicious young it’s hard to wait.

Damn…only Baudry I currently own is Le Clos Guillot…will keep an eye out for Les Grezeaux