TNs: Zoom Tasting with Chappellet Winery

A friend who is a wine club member with Chappellet recently arranged for a Zoom wine tasting with Assistant Wine Club Manager, Chloe Martins. There were 8 of us tasting the wines in total, 9 including Chloe. We each purchased the same 4 wines, and tasted through them as Chloe gave us a nice presentation re: the winery’s history, land holdings, and wines. Chloe was very generous with her time, as the event lasted nearly two hours. I asked Chloe if it would be o.k. for me to share her contact information here, and she said, “Yes.” She is available for videoconference tastings, so if you’re interested please contact her at Chloe@chappellet.com

My notes on the wines are below. These are unabashedly “California wines,” but I liked them. Both the Cabernet Sauvignon and the Cabernet Franc strike me as needing lots of time to soak-up the oak. I bought two bottles of the Cab. Franc because I believe, underneath all the oak, there is a very nice wine in the waiting. Also bought half a case of the Chenin Blanc as a summer quaffer.

2019 Chappellet Chenin Blanc Dry - USA, California, Napa Valley (5/29/2020)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 3 to 4 hours –

NOSE: expressive; strong mineral; intense floral stone fruit; hint of soft spearmint.

BODY: medium-light to medium bodied; under Nomacorc; green-yellow color of light intensity.

TASTE: juicy acidity; strong mineral aspect, too, but it’s situated behind plenty of ripe, expressive, fruit (peach donut ring gummy candies); 13.7% alc. is a little noticeable. Very nice. Should never be mistaken for a Vouvray or Saumur. Bought a bunch for summertime quaffing.

2018 Chappellet Chardonnay Grower Collection Sangiacomo - USA, California, Sonoma County (5/29/2020)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 3 to 4 hours on Day 1; re-visited on Day 12 when I discovered 1/3 of the bottle leftover in the fridge –

NOSE: very expressive; tropical – buttery pineapple; a touch grassy.

BODY: rich, golden yellow color of medium intensity; medium bodied.

TASTE: strong mineral laying beneath a strong ripe fruit presentation; “soft”; clearly CA; 14.1% alc. not noticeable; adequate acidity; was surprised to learn this is the most restrained of their three “Grower Collection” chardonnays, as this is fairly “big,” imo. Drink Now and over the near term.

2017 Chappellet Cabernet Sauvignon Signature - USA, California, Napa Valley (5/29/2020)
– decanted 4 hours before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 5 to 6 hours on Day 1; revisited on Day 4 –
– 82% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Petit Verdot, 8% Malbec –

NOSE: big; “purple”; moderately fumey from the alcohol. Day 4: a little bit of mineral now, that wasn’t noticeable on Day 1, but still big/ripe/“purple”.

BODY: dark violet color of deep depth; medium to medium-full bodied.

TASTE: fine tannins; oaky; ripe, young, “purple”, C.S. fruit; needs time; don’t notice any smokiness from the fires of the vintage; 14.5% alc… Day 4 was largely the same as Day 1: big/dark/oaky. Needs lots of time if it’s ever going to turn into something where the oak doesn’t dominate. Hold.

2017 Chappellet Cabernet Franc - USA, California, Napa Valley (5/29/2020)
– decanted 4 hours before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 5 to 6 hours on Day 1; revisited on Day 4 –
– 75% Cabernet Franc, 12% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Malbec, 3% Petit Verdot –

NOSE: “dark”; oaky; a touch brighter than the Cabernet Sauvignon. Day 4 was largely the same as Day 1, but with an added mineral note.

BODY: dark violet color of great depth; full bodied.

TASTE: very ripe and dark-fruited; seems to be good underlying acidity; very oaky; 14.5% alc. is a little noticeable; very fine tannins – a touch finer than those of the Cabernet Sauvignon. Day 4 was largely the same as Day 1. Bought a couple with the hope that a decade+ of cellar time will reveal an interesting Napa take on this variety. Hold.

I was never a big buyer from this winery, but it is a good location and tour so we used to go there when in Napa with folks who had never been. 10 years ago or so, the Signature was a pretty good value wine. Leaning towards a more modern style for sure, but not over the top. Maybe the oak will integrate. I remember the Chenin Blanc being quite enjoyable.

Yeah, the video Chloe showed us of the property, and the reports we got of it from our friends, make it sound like it’s worth the trek for the scenery, alone. During the conversation with Chloe, the topic of Cost of Tastings was brought-up and discussed; it was a reminder of why I will never go wine tasting in Napa without a pre-arranged slate of private or semi-private appointment “hook-ups”.

Huge fan of Chappellet. Their Signature Cabernet is one of the absolute best buys for Napa Valley Cabernet ($65). The 2017 is not their best vintage ever, but solid. Wait for the 2018! Always big advocates of older well established family owned wineries. Their property and winery is one of the best in all of NorCal to visit. Join your friend for a tour and taste up on Pritchard Hill as they are free of charge “hook ups” to members and their guests. [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the insight, Gabe. Cheers! [cheers.gif]