Best domestic Chardonnay?

A few comments in the thread about aging Oregon chards made me wonder which chards are contenders for ‘best’ produced in this country. If someone was willing to gift you a bottle of any domestic Chardonnay you want, which one would you choose?QPR should not be a consideration.

Haven’t had any of it but I bet you get a lot of responses for Walter Scott. It’s on my list to try

I don’t know if it is the ‘best’, but if someone was gifting me a bottle of domestic chardonnay I would choose Mount Eden Estate. It ages well and is consistently excellent.

Ed

Marcassin
Aubert

Then
Peter Michael
Kistler

Aubert, Ceritas, Cameron Clos Electrique, Walter Scott, Litterai, Mount Eden, Arnot-Roberts, Rhys, and Hirsch are the wineries whose Chardonnays I support.

In the leaner style I prefer: Ceritas and Stony Hill.

Cameron Clos Electrique

1 Like

00 is priced like it, but haven’t had one yet.

Another vote for Mount Eden.

The Chardonnays I drink are Rhys, Arnot-Roberts, Mount Eden, Hartford Court, Williams Selyem and Radio Coteau.

For me, U.S. Chardonnay is now the best available, anywhere.

Peter - I like your list. My only substitution would be Kongsgaard for Kistler, but it’s splitting hairs.

Garden Creek in Sonoma produces great Chardonnay every year. Complex and harmonious.

Chanin and Ceritas are my favorite…

Liquid Farm & Solomon Hills are also very good.

It’s been a while since I’ve had one, but when they’re on Kalin chardonnays are terrific. I agree about Mt. Eden with some age. I don’t have enough experience with Oregon wines.

I’m not wild about some of the well-known and pricey California labels; they can have too much Bourbon Butter Cream for me, and if I wanted to spend $100+ on a bottle I’d gravitate much, much further east.

Liquid Farm fan here.

The pricing is not much different than a few of the California heavyweights…

James

From a couple of years ago: The Best California Chardonnay That You've Had In The Last 5 Years? - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

the judge.

I really like the Hirsch, which I think is quite different from most of the other “richer” wines.

Walter Scott
Cameron
Goodfellow
Morgen Long
Stony Hill
Mayacamus