Wine and logistics

As you may know, Diane and I spend 6+ months in FL and 5+ months in CA.
We drive back and forth with essentials in our pick-up and, along the way, spend time with friends.
This past November when we left CA, we had no idea what was coming and, as usual, packed about 25 cases of wine to bring south. A couple from our cellar and the rest our Cowan Cellars library wines. That amount usually lasts for our time in FL with some for friends, parties and ourselves.
But because we have extended our stay due to virus concerns, we ran out. So I have been ordering in old favorites from various internet purveyors.

Here are some thoughts about those:

2017 Vissoux, Fleurie Poncie - soft, fresh nose of red fruit, lightweight and juicy in the mouth and a finish which prompts another sip. Youthful, lively and clearly, Fleurie.

2015 Vissoux, Brouilly Pierreux - darker and more muscular on the nose and palate with some richness of texture and good length. A riper and more serious wine but not without charm.

2017 Louis Michel, Chablis Montee de Tonnerre - intense, flinty, complex and somewhat closed. Should be exceptional with a few years although quite nice now. Chardonnay, my way.

2017 Louis Michel, Chablis Sechet - glorious now! Should you be fortunate to find a bottle in your cave, don’t hesitate. Everything Chablis should be.

2014 Louis Michel, Chablis Vaudesir - still tight but becomes more generous with decanter time and delivers a Grand Cru experience. More earthy than floral, at the moment.

2016 Louis Michel, Chablis Vaillons - a touch lactic (which I don’t care for) but solid Chablis in a fleshier vein.

2018 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Clos de Allees - the green label is gone and the bottle must be half again as heavy but the wine is still a singular version of Melon and takes me back to picnics in the mountains. Submerge it in a fast flowing stream for 30 minutes and your drinking the essence of cool.

2018 Vincent, Pinot Blanc Tardive - finds that balance between concentration and freshness that keeps me thinking about quaffing but sipping rather than gulping. A grape I don’t pay much attention to but this is worth a taste. D loves it.

2018 Vincent, Chardonnay Tardive - needs to warm to almost room temp before it opens and, when it does, it’s as close to Chablis as Oregon can make. Lovely wine with a lot of potential.

‘No idea when or even if, we’ll head west this year but for now, the wine rack is happy and so are we.
Stay safe, jim

NC is out of the picture? You lead a blessed life, JC.

Actually, my wife’s folks lived in Banner Elk until their recent passing. Diane and I now go up often to take care of getting the property in shape to sell and to handle other final affairs.
We were just there for two weeks and will likely head back in a week or so.
Pretty hot in FL so the mountains are looking pretty good right now - and we can drive it in a day so no overnight stop in the time of the virus.
Best, Jim

Thanks for these notes Jim, always like hearing your perspective.

Jim,

Please stop comments on Louis Michel. The PCs are my house wine and they are getting harder and harder to find.

Jim,

Good to see the post. I’ve been a fan of Louis Michel forever. Surprised at the lactic note in the 2016. I’ve never had a '16 Louis Michel, but I’ve had at least a dozen wines from other vintages and never experienced anything like that. What I love about Louis Michel is the uncompromising flint.

What other Chablis growers do you like?

Dan Kravitz

So you brought 25 cases / 300 bottles with you and you’ve already run out. And I presume not even due to entertaining in these times of social distancing. RESPECT!

This TN note is the essence of cool.

And that’s a big bummer. It would be nice to see you, old friend. Looking forward to the next time.

We need more FL Jim TNs, now more than ever!

Dan,
Most of the producers I’ve liked over the years have been priced beyond me. But Michel is still reasonable so I stick with them.
If you have some suggestions that are similarly priced and have no oak (a personal preference), I’d love to hear.
Best, Jim

Sounds different than it is.
Some of what we bring back was sold to customers in FL and we just serve as transport. I always find it hard to charge the shipping prices that common carriers charge from west coast to east coast, so I do what I can.
Best, Jim

Likewise.
I don’t think our NC connection will be finished anytime soon. So if the virus gets controlled, Durham is not out of the question.
Best, Jim

Hi Jim,

PMd you on a Chablis grower I represent, so no post here.
Another one I would look for if you like Louis Michel is Vocoret. Very old school.

Dan Kravitz

Dan,
No PM received.
Best, Jim

Jim,

Sorry, sent as e-mail, just resent as PM.

Dan

Clos des Allees is a very fine bargain. I’ve been late to that party compared to other Muscadets.

Also a fan of Vissoux but warmer vintages usually give me pause (i.e.: 2015, 2018). Thanks for the 2017 Fleurie Poncie TN.

Nice motivating TNs for Vincent’s Whites.

RT

Great notes as usual Jim. Glad you and Diane are well.

I like the Vincent Chardonnay Tardive a lot, but find it more similar to ouillé Jura than to Chablis as it has a cool funk to with the crispness.

Actually, I like that comparison better.
Best, Jim