TN: G.D.Vajra Nebbiolo Langhe J.C.Clare '19...(short/boring)

This just arrived at Kokomanns, so had to try it last night:

1. G.D.Vajra Nebbiolo Dd’OC: Langhe Clare J.C. (13.5%; L03-20) Barolo 2019: Med.light garnet color; very fragrant floral/violets/rose petal/lilacs/Nebb/strawberry slight earthy/pungent lovely nose; slight spritz/prickly near dry bright/zesty floral/Nebb/violets/rose petal/strawberry slight pungent/earthy lovely flavor w/ light brisk tannins; very long tart/tangy near-dry slight spritz/CO2 strong perfumed/strawberry/floral Nebb/violets/rose petal slight earthy/pungent unabashedly Nebb fruity finish w/ light zippy tannins; speaks strongly of Nebb but unlike any other Langhe Nebb; wonderful Vin de Soif drinkable Nebb at a very good price. $20.50 (KK)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. A number of yrs ago, DarrellCorti uncovered at TN from ThomasJefferson (who was a slave owner) when he was US Ambassador in Paris of a current Barolo. It was vastly different from what we now regard as Barolo. Darrell went to G.D.Vajra and asked them to recreate a Nebb that resembled Jefferson’s TN. This J.C.Clare (Jefferson-Corti Claret) is that wine. This is about the 4’th-5’th vintage of that effort.
    Lovers of Barolo will, of course, drink this wine w/ great disdain. I think it’s great drinking glou-glou wine. It speaks strongly of Nebb, but not the intensity or structure of B/B. Probably not going to get much better than what it is right now.
    I describe this wine as being like giving a nude JuliaChild a firm embrace, tucking your face into her ample perfume-drenched bosom and than rolling down a hillside covered w/ Alpine strawberries. An experience few of you have had the opportunity to experience. You had to have been there.
    Tom

@Tom, this sounds lovely. As a Barolo fanatic I have no disdain for such expressions of Nebbiolo. Rather, I hunt for them! I hope some of these get to California.

But I have to say your Julia Child/hillside tumble image is one of the most hilariously evocative one I’ve seen here. But I’m really wondering if this is a memory or a flight of fantasy??!?!

I can’t unsee that [wow.gif]

Well, Rich… I did meet Julia up at Aspen one Summer. But it was just a chat in a book store. And that was it.
This wine should be fairly available in Calif. CortiBros/Sacramento should have it.
Tom

I like the wines from Vajra a lot, but have not had the Nebbiolo. I recently had a 2007 Barolo Albe that was quite good. I have also in recent years really liked the 2013s I have had from Bricco delle Viole and Ravera.

Darrell elaborates on the origins of this wine:

Thanks for the note, Tom. I’ll be keeping an eye out for this new vintage.