Your German riesling breakdown

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
asnitow
Posts: 246
Joined: August 5th, 2013, 3:29 pm

Your German riesling breakdown

#1 Post by asnitow » June 13th, 2020, 5:06 pm

Reading the kabinett thread and folks conversations around their pradikat preferences got me wondering how people's German riesling collections break down by ripeness?

Mine is:

Trocken/GG: 67
Feinherb/halbtrocken: 9
Kabinett: 100
Spatlese: 298
Auslese: 212
BA: 4
TBA: 4

I was surprised how auslese heavy mine has become - made me realize ive been drinking my kabi (especially) and spats at a much faster rate. Will have to work on that.
alan snitow

Subu Ramachandran
Posts: 847
Joined: May 3rd, 2017, 1:16 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#2 Post by Subu Ramachandran » June 13th, 2020, 6:56 pm

I love trocken/GGs. They constitute 95% of my Riesling breakdown.

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 38350
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#3 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 13th, 2020, 7:28 pm

The sheer quantity of German wine in my cellar would choke an army. It’s about 50% Spatlese, 20% Auslese, 15% Kabinett, and the rest divided between dry wines and dessert wines. Kabinett would be higher, but it gets drunk up very fast, except for the specific wines I try to age.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Larry Stein
Posts: 2009
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 2:27 pm
Location: Belmont CA

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#4 Post by Larry Stein » June 13th, 2020, 7:41 pm

I've been drinking down my German wines. Down to about 10 cases from 20, with no plans to buy. I'm drinking less and less off-dry wine. For the price of many GGs, I'd rather buy Trimbach CFE (oh wait, that's another thread...)

GG - 1 bottle (it was a gift)
Kabinett - 28
Spatlese - 92
Auslese - 4

Of those, 2/3 are from 2001-05 (no '03s).

DanielP
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 884
Joined: October 5th, 2015, 7:21 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#5 Post by DanielP » June 13th, 2020, 7:49 pm

auslese~40%
spatlese ~30%
kabi ~10%
dry ~20%

a lot of the auslese is in halves though
P@ik

User avatar
Nick Christie
Posts: 505
Joined: November 20th, 2016, 1:37 pm
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#6 Post by Nick Christie » June 13th, 2020, 8:56 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 7:28 pm
The sheer quantity of German wine in my cellar would choke an army. It’s about 50% Spatlese, 20% Auslese, 15% Kabinett, and the rest divided between dry wines and dessert wines. Kabinett would be higher, but it gets drunk up very fast, except for the specific wines I try to age.
This is the Correct Answer [cheers.gif]

Very similar for me (I'm about 50/40/10, no dry for me), although sadly, I cannot get an entire army drunk. I could entertain a solid chunk of their wives and girlfriends, tho.

User avatar
Matt Latuchie
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3528
Joined: February 24th, 2010, 5:16 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#7 Post by Matt Latuchie » June 13th, 2020, 9:09 pm

Let me know if you need help with your ausleses. Be on the next flight to ORD. ✌️
CellarTracker: tooch
Instagram: mattlatuchie
philadelphia eagles football

Rauno E (NZ)
Posts: 2328
Joined: March 13th, 2012, 12:32 am

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#8 Post by Rauno E (NZ) » June 13th, 2020, 11:25 pm

GGs: 11%
Auslese: 42%
Spaetlese: 22%
Kabinett: 11%
BA: 8%
TBA: 4%
Eiswein: 2%
Rauno Engel

User avatar
Claus Jeppesen
Posts: 1938
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 2:42 am

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#9 Post by Claus Jeppesen » June 14th, 2020, 2:53 am

A lot of the Kabinett, Spätlese and Auslese in my cellar are bone dry......
Claus

Riesling and Slate

R. Somerville
Posts: 278
Joined: December 28th, 2011, 8:12 am

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#10 Post by R. Somerville » June 14th, 2020, 3:14 am

I'm not keeping close track at the moment but roughly 80% K, 15% S, last 5% mixed A & BA + 1 Austrian '73 TBA!
Last edited by R. Somerville on June 14th, 2020, 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20100
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#11 Post by Howard Cooper » June 14th, 2020, 5:00 am

Trocken/halbtrocken/Feinherb/GG - 1 bottle
Kabinett - 17% of my German wines
Spatlese - 42%
Auslese - 35% (24% of my Auslesen are GKA)
BA - 3%
TBA - 1%
Eiswein - 1%

By producer, 84% of my German wines come from 8 producers:

JJ Prum - 24%
Reinhold Haart - 13%
Zilliken - 13%
von Schubert 10%
Selbach - 9%
Schloss Lieser - 7%
Shaefer-Frohlich - 4%
Donnhoff - between 3 and 4%
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

R. Somerville
Posts: 278
Joined: December 28th, 2011, 8:12 am

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#12 Post by R. Somerville » June 14th, 2020, 5:12 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 5:00 am
Trocken/halbtrocken/Feinherb/GG - 1 bottle
Kabinett - 17% of my German wines
Spatlese - 42%
Auslese - 35% (24% of my Auslesen are GKA)
BA - 3%
TBA - 1%
Eiswein - 1%

By producer, 84% of my German wines come from 8 producers:

JJ Prum - 24%
Reinhold Haart - 13%
Zilliken - 13%
von Schubert 10%
Selbach - 9%
Schloss Lieser - 7%
Shaefer-Frohlich - 4%
Donnhoff - between 3 and 4%
I'll be round shortly Howard! [wow.gif]

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20100
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#13 Post by Howard Cooper » June 14th, 2020, 5:13 am

R. Somerville wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 5:12 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 5:00 am
Trocken/halbtrocken/Feinherb/GG - 1 bottle
Kabinett - 17% of my German wines
Spatlese - 42%
Auslese - 35% (24% of my Auslesen are GKA)
BA - 3%
TBA - 1%
Eiswein - 1%

By producer, 84% of my German wines come from 8 producers:

JJ Prum - 24%
Reinhold Haart - 13%
Zilliken - 13%
von Schubert 10%
Selbach - 9%
Schloss Lieser - 7%
Shaefer-Frohlich - 4%
Donnhoff - between 3 and 4%
I'll be round shortly Howard! [wow.gif]
Come on by.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1607
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 10:34 am

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#14 Post by Ethan Abraham » June 14th, 2020, 5:45 am

1/6 each dry and auslese
1/3 each kab and spat.

Drinking more dry lately (more a function of what we eat than a preference).

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3514
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#15 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 14th, 2020, 6:11 am

This is close. I couldn't immediately think of a good way to screen for things like auslese trocken, so some things could be miscategorized or double counted, but it's pretty close.

55% GG
7% Other dry
2% Feinherb
2% Halbtrocken
6% Kabinett
19% Spatlese
7% Auslese
1% Dessert
2% Sekt
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2242
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#16 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » June 14th, 2020, 7:03 am

Here's mine:

Trocken (includes kabinett through auslese trocken): 23%
GG: 4%
Feinherb/Off-Dry: 2%
Kabinett: 23%
Spatlese: 23%
Auslese: 22%
BA: 1%
TBA: 0%
Eiswein: 1%

I'm pretty surprised about the relatively even split between trocken, kabinett, spatlese, and auslese. My goals in general have been to increase my trocken and kabinett holdings, which I tend to drink with more frequency. Need to look into the feinherb situation more as well.
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

J. Rock
Posts: 940
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm
Location: The [West] Valley

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#17 Post by J. Rock » June 14th, 2020, 9:22 am

I'm a bit of a sweet tooth (although, I love Rieslings of all kinds), so here is how my young collection is shaping up:

Dry: 7.5%
Kabinett: 9.4%
Spatlese: 20.3%
Auslese (including GKA and LGKA): 53.7%
Eiswein: 3.7%
BA: 7.5%
TBA: 1.9%

Oh and 1 bottle of 1984 Peter Lauer Saar Riesling Brut Reserve.

Honestly, I'd have more of the last three categories if they didn't cost as much as they do.

Also, 25% of all wine I currently own is Riesling.
J o r d a n

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 38350
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#18 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 14th, 2020, 9:28 am

Ethan Abraham wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 5:45 am
1/6 each dry and auslese
1/3 each kab and spat.

Drinking more dry lately (more a function of what we eat than a preference).
I am opening a lot more sweet than I had been the last couple of years, as my wife and I have gravitated to relatively spicy Indian food as a weekly staple. We rarely have a classic dinner of meat, veg and potato or any variation thereof these days. Now it's all chickpea masala, masoor dal, the occasional Butter Chicken, etc.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20100
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#19 Post by Howard Cooper » June 14th, 2020, 10:17 am

J. Rock wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 9:22 am


Oh and 1 bottle of 1984 Peter Lauer Saar Riesling Brut Reserve.

Don't have any Lauer Sekt at the moment, but they can be quite good. Probably as good as any sparkling wine I have had that is not from Champagne.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
G. Curd
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 266
Joined: June 9th, 2020, 11:13 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#20 Post by G. Curd » June 14th, 2020, 10:45 am

My collection is rather small, but here are the percentages

Dry: 2%
Kabinett: 8%
Spatlese: 35%
Auslese (including GKA and LGKA): 55%
Eiswein:0%
BA: 0%
TBA: 0%

I too have a bit of a sweet tooth and have just recently started. I have been concentrating on back filling the collection to start with 01, 05, 07, 09 mostly and auslese and spatlese. I will be filling the collection out and diversifying more in the future.
G a v i n

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8190
Joined: April 26th, 2010, 10:30 pm
Location: Bordeaux

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#21 Post by Russell Faulkner » June 14th, 2020, 11:19 am

What’s the easiest way to check in CellarTracker.

By designation is nuts, 127 different designations.

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2242
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#22 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » June 14th, 2020, 12:09 pm

Russell Faulkner wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 11:19 am
What’s the easiest way to check in CellarTracker.

By designation is nuts, 127 different designations.
I literally just filtered my collection to just the riesling varietal and used an Excel spreadsheet to figure it out.
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3514
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#23 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 14th, 2020, 2:00 pm

Russell Faulkner wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 11:19 am
What’s the easiest way to check in CellarTracker.

By designation is nuts, 127 different designations.
There's not an easy way to get it exactly right, which is why I posted mine with the caveat that there might be double counting or other issues. I did individual searches for Grosses, Kabinett, Spatlese, etc. The results give you the number of bottles, and I divided each by the total Riesling in the cellar.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

asnitow
Posts: 246
Joined: August 5th, 2013, 3:29 pm

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#24 Post by asnitow » June 14th, 2020, 2:30 pm

Russell Faulkner wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 11:19 am
What’s the easiest way to check in CellarTracker.

By designation is nuts, 127 different designations.
Yeah, you do 'riesling' and then 'type' - and it will sort it by 'white', 'off-dry' and 'sweet' but its not really accurate enough for this. I also just searched by 'kabinett', 'spat' etc and it told me number of each.
alan snitow

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 38350
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#25 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 14th, 2020, 2:48 pm

FWIW, I just opened a Selbach-Oster Spatlese to have with my Indian Dal dinner.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Todd Tucker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1145
Joined: May 18th, 2010, 4:49 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#26 Post by Todd Tucker » June 14th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Dry 10%
Kabinett 12%
Spatlese 21%
Auslese 38%
BA 10%
TBA 6%

In retrospect, early on, I wish I had bought a little less auslese and more kabinett and spatlese. I'd keep by BA and TBA purchases though.

User avatar
Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3598
Joined: May 27th, 2012, 1:29 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#27 Post by Kirk.Grant » June 14th, 2020, 3:22 pm

This is the break-down of my German Riesling. I have never intentionally aged Kabinett wines, to me they're so delicious I tend to drink them within 30-90 days of purchase, so they fall in the realm of wines I buy and do not put in CT. However, I tend to drink GG's across several years so they represent the majority of my holdings.

By pradikat:
Großes Gewächs : 80%
Trocken: 10%
Auslese: 8%
Spätlese: 2%


By Region:
Rheinhessen (65%)
Mosel Saar Ruwer(17%)
Nahe (10)
Rheingau (6%)
Pfalz (2%)

By Producer:
Weingut Keller (54%)
Wittmann (13%)
Dönnhoff (11%)
Joh. Jos. Prüm (10%)
Carl Loewen (4%)
Georg Breuer (3%)
Markus Molitor (2%)
Weingut Robert Weil (2%)
Dr. Bürklin-Wolf (1%)
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

User avatar
Nick Christie
Posts: 505
Joined: November 20th, 2016, 1:37 pm
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#28 Post by Nick Christie » June 14th, 2020, 3:40 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 2:48 pm
FWIW, I just opened a Selbach-Oster Spatlese to have with my Indian Dal dinner.
Hahaha, Dal and a middle-aged Spatlese are an elite summer pairing ;). Delicious. I had a lovely little diner, but I'm still Jel.

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2242
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#29 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » June 14th, 2020, 3:48 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 2:48 pm
FWIW, I just opened a Selbach-Oster Spatlese to have with my Indian Dal dinner.
Indian is one my favorite cuisines, and a perfect reason to open some pradikatswein :D

Do you cook it at home or do takeout?
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 38350
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#30 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 14th, 2020, 3:54 pm

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 3:48 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 2:48 pm
FWIW, I just opened a Selbach-Oster Spatlese to have with my Indian Dal dinner.
Indian is one my favorite cuisines, and a perfect reason to open some pradikatswein :D

Do you cook it at home or do takeout?
I cook it at home. I have learned a reasonable number of recipes well enough that I don’t need to do takeout.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1657
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 9:22 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#31 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » June 14th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Excluding those on order but not yet delivered:

Kabinett 45%
Spätlese 37%
Auslese 9%
BA 4%
TBA none
Eiswein 1%

Feinherb 1%
Trocken 3%
GG none

Dale Williams
Posts: 1306
Joined: April 27th, 2009, 10:19 am

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#32 Post by Dale Williams » June 14th, 2020, 7:36 pm

Claus Jeppesen wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 2:53 am
A lot of the Kabinett, Spätlese and Auslese in my cellar are bone dry......
Which wines/producers? I have a few Spatlese Trockens and have tasted some Auslese trockens, but none that I'd consider bone dry- even with intense acids there's some sense of RS.

As to original question, my CT seems to be about
28% Kab
29% Spatlese
22% Auslese
3 % Ba/TBA
7% GG
10% other
I drink more Kab or base level Trocken than anything else, but they go fast, and some are never enterned in CT. The Auslese mostly just sit there,

Ken B r o w n
Posts: 51
Joined: January 10th, 2017, 8:06 pm

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#33 Post by Ken B r o w n » June 15th, 2020, 12:03 am

Top 13 producers of Spatlesen based on bottles owned by CellarTracker users, in descending order:

Dönnhoff 20.2% Bottles (34,809)
Joh. Jos. Prüm 16.9% Bottles (29,134)
Fritz Haag 3.2% Bottles (5,563)
Selbach-Oster 2.8% Bottles (4,768)
Egon Müller 2.7% Bottles (4,720)
Willi Schaefer 2.6% Bottles (4,434)
Zilliken (Forstmeister Geltz) 2.5% Bottles (4,332)
Dr. Loosen 2.4% Bottles (4,198)
Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben 2.1% Bottles (3,673)
Von Schubert 2.1% Bottles (3,646)
Schloss Lieser 2.0% Bottles (3,456)
Weingut Robert Weil 1.8% Bottles (3,148)
Schäfer-Fröhlich 1.8% Bottles (3,139)

This is based on Designation of "Spatlese". It does not accurately reflect all Spatlesen because CT users' data entry habits are not uniform. Nevertheless, even accounting for some +/- deviation in actual number the gap between Donnhoff/JJ Prum and everyone else is significant. My opinion: this is due to distribution, marketing and quality with "consistent" qualifier applying to all 3 of these terms. Everyone else - you get 1 or 2 out of 3. For example, Schaefer - fantastic quality but not consistent, crappy distribution and non-existent marketing, at least in US.

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8190
Joined: April 26th, 2010, 10:30 pm
Location: Bordeaux

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#34 Post by Russell Faulkner » June 15th, 2020, 12:58 am

Ok, it’s messy since for example a search for Auslese will include BA. And it doesn’t account for bottle sizes.

Kabinett - 32% and increasing
Spatlese - 34%
Auslese + - 26% (of which GK - 14%, BA - 3%, TBA - 0.5%)
GG - 8%

Producers

Prum - 20%
Schaefer 16%
Fritz Haag - 13%
Julian Haart - 12%
Grunhaus - 12%
Keller - 8%
Lieser - 8%
Muller - 6%
Falkenstein - 5%
Lauer - 3%
Zilliken -3%
Anything else <1%

Auctions wines - 20%

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20100
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#35 Post by Howard Cooper » June 15th, 2020, 4:27 am

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 12:09 pm
Russell Faulkner wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 11:19 am
What’s the easiest way to check in CellarTracker.

By designation is nuts, 127 different designations.
I literally just filtered my collection to just the riesling varietal and used an Excel spreadsheet to figure it out.
I put in German to get my denominator, and they German Kabinett, German Spatlese, etc., etc., to get my numerators. When I put in trocken for trockenbeerenauslese, I was surprised to find that I have one trocken wine.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20100
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#36 Post by Howard Cooper » June 15th, 2020, 4:30 am

asnitow wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 2:30 pm
Russell Faulkner wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 11:19 am
What’s the easiest way to check in CellarTracker.

By designation is nuts, 127 different designations.
Yeah, you do 'riesling' and then 'type' - and it will sort it by 'white', 'off-dry' and 'sweet' but its not really accurate enough for this. I also just searched by 'kabinett', 'spat' etc and it told me number of each.
If I did Riesling, I would have gotten wines from Alsace, etc., so I did German. Thus, my numbers include a few bottles of Rieslaner and Scheurebe.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8190
Joined: April 26th, 2010, 10:30 pm
Location: Bordeaux

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#37 Post by Russell Faulkner » June 15th, 2020, 4:46 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 4:27 am
Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 12:09 pm
Russell Faulkner wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 11:19 am
What’s the easiest way to check in CellarTracker.

By designation is nuts, 127 different designations.
I literally just filtered my collection to just the riesling varietal and used an Excel spreadsheet to figure it out.
I put in German to get my denominator, and they German Kabinett, German Spatlese, etc., etc., to get my numerators. When I put in trocken for trockenbeerenauslese, I was surprised to find that I have one trocken wine.
Yes the challenge is Auslese as it blends Auslese, GK, BA and TBA, but also things like Kabinett Trocken come up as Kabinett (but thats less of an issue!)

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3514
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#38 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 15th, 2020, 4:55 am

Russell Faulkner wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 12:58 am
Ok, it’s messy since for example a search for Auslese will include BA. And it doesn’t account for bottle sizes.

Yes, after going Cellar by Region->Germany->Variety->Riesling for the denominator, I had to manually edit the auslese category, but I have so few of the BA and TBA wines that it was easy to eyeball.

By producer:
Keller - 33.2%
Emrich-Schonleber - 13.3%
Ratzenberger - 8.6%
Battenfeld-Spanier - 7.4%
Schafer-Frohlich - 5.2%

Then JJ Prum, Julian Haart, Laible and Willi Schaefer all right around 3%
Overall about 40 producers, but all the rest are 1% or below.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20100
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#39 Post by Howard Cooper » June 15th, 2020, 4:55 am

Russell Faulkner wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 4:46 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 4:27 am
Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 12:09 pm


I literally just filtered my collection to just the riesling varietal and used an Excel spreadsheet to figure it out.
I put in German to get my denominator, and they German Kabinett, German Spatlese, etc., etc., to get my numerators. When I put in trocken for trockenbeerenauslese, I was surprised to find that I have one trocken wine.
Yes the challenge is Auslese as it blends Auslese, GK, BA and TBA, but also things like Kabinett Trocken come up as Kabinett (but thats less of an issue!)
Interesting. When I put it Auslese, I did get GKA, but not BA or TBA.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8190
Joined: April 26th, 2010, 10:30 pm
Location: Bordeaux

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#40 Post by Russell Faulkner » June 15th, 2020, 4:59 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 4:55 am
Russell Faulkner wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 4:46 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 4:27 am


I put in German to get my denominator, and they German Kabinett, German Spatlese, etc., etc., to get my numerators. When I put in trocken for trockenbeerenauslese, I was surprised to find that I have one trocken wine.
Yes the challenge is Auslese as it blends Auslese, GK, BA and TBA, but also things like Kabinett Trocken come up as Kabinett (but thats less of an issue!)
Interesting. When I put it Auslese, I did get GKA, but not BA or TBA.
Quite right!

User avatar
Greg Kramer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 222
Joined: November 3rd, 2009, 10:39 am
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#41 Post by Greg Kramer » June 15th, 2020, 5:37 am

Spatlese - 51%
Kabinett - 19%
Auslese - 29%
BA - 1%
ITB - online retailer
VDLT Wine is a Community of wine lovers and small, artisanal wine producers

james l moleberg
Posts: 331
Joined: October 8th, 2015, 5:01 pm

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#42 Post by james l moleberg » June 15th, 2020, 6:35 am

Auslese - 81%
GG - 13%
Kabinett - 2%
TBA - 4%
Not a lot of variety, but i love what i love, and stick with it.

Subu Ramachandran
Posts: 847
Joined: May 3rd, 2017, 1:16 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#43 Post by Subu Ramachandran » June 15th, 2020, 7:22 am

Subu Ramachandran wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 6:56 pm
I love trocken/GGs. They constitute 95% of my Riesling breakdown.
By producer:

Keller
Schäfer Fröhlich
Donnhoff
Georg Breuer
Willi Schaefer
Markus Molitor
Julian Haart

I have few old bottles of JJ Prum lying around.

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5529
Joined: October 21st, 2009, 9:42 am
Location: MA

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#44 Post by Doug Schulman » June 15th, 2020, 8:02 am

I'm at about 22% Spatlese, just over 4% each of Kabinett and Auslese, and all the rest trocken or very close to it, most of which (59% of the total) is GG. I should have a bit more Kabinett. I thought until fairly recently that I preferred them young. Now I plan to buy a bit more so I can age them. Other than that, this breakdown is probably about right for my drinking habits and preferences. Drinking habits alone would have an even higher percentage of trocken, but I think top Spatlese benefits from more cellar time, for my tastes.

User avatar
Claus Jeppesen
Posts: 1938
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 2:42 am

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#45 Post by Claus Jeppesen » June 15th, 2020, 8:14 am

Dale Williams wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 7:36 pm
Claus Jeppesen wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 2:53 am
A lot of the Kabinett, Spätlese and Auslese in my cellar are bone dry......
Which wines/producers? I have a few Spatlese Trockens and have tasted some Auslese trockens, but none that I'd consider bone dry- even with intense acids there's some sense of RS.

As to original question, my CT seems to be about
28% Kab
29% Spatlese
22% Auslese
3 % Ba/TBA
7% GG
10% other
I drink more Kab or base level Trocken than anything else, but they go fast, and some are never enterned in CT. The Auslese mostly just sit there,
U stresses this because some people also in this thread seem to forget that the ripeness levels not necessarily indicates non dry wines.
I have Kabinett, Spätlese and Auslese Trocken from Hofgut Falkenstein, Von Schubert, Karthauserhof, Bishofliches Priesterseminar and some mire
Claus

Riesling and Slate

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2699
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 5:12 pm

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#46 Post by maureen nelson » June 15th, 2020, 8:38 am

well, lots of ways to break this down - first sort of german wine is by grape variety as I do own german wine not made of riesling (not much though and mostly Muller-Catoir).

Kabinett - 19%
Spatlese - 41%
Auslese - 32.5% (about 41% of this in half bottle and a few in 500 ml; also 43% of auslesen are gka)
Eiswein - 6 half bottles
Beerenauslese - 5 half bottles

Auction bottlings - 10% (mostly auslesen but some spatlesen and kabinett)

Dry bottlings - 7 bottles! For the math geeks, that is less than 1%!

Many of my auslesen are botrytis-dessert level wines (e.g., Muller-Catoir).

oh, and there's some "named" Selbach Oster mixed into the stash that aren't in any of the above categories

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3514
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#47 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 15th, 2020, 8:42 am

Claus Jeppesen wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 8:14 am

U stresses this because some people also in this thread seem to forget that the ripeness levels not necessarily indicates non dry wines.
I have Kabinett, Spätlese and Auslese Trocken from Hofgut Falkenstein, Von Schubert, Karthauserhof, Bishofliches Priesterseminar and some mire
Respectfully, Claus – no one has forgotten that fact. It’s just that it’s overly complicated and not so useful for this particular, pretty simple discussion. Several people have even made reference to how complicated the designations could be, and how we’ve chosen to simplify.

While the designations and terms we are using may be linguistically a little sloppy, they are the most common usage, at least here in the US, easily applicable to cellar tracker, and, most importantly, everyone seems to understand how to respond to the question using those terms in an effective way.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

User avatar
Claus Jeppesen
Posts: 1938
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 2:42 am

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#48 Post by Claus Jeppesen » June 15th, 2020, 10:12 am

[wink.gif]
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 8:42 am
Claus Jeppesen wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 8:14 am

U stresses this because some people also in this thread seem to forget that the ripeness levels not necessarily indicates non dry wines.
I have Kabinett, Spätlese and Auslese Trocken from Hofgut Falkenstein, Von Schubert, Karthauserhof, Bishofliches Priesterseminar and some mire
Respectfully, Claus – no one has forgotten that fact. It’s just that it’s overly complicated and not so useful for this particular, pretty simple discussion. Several people have even made reference to how complicated the designations could be, and how we’ve chosen to simplify.

While the designations and terms we are using may be linguistically a little sloppy, they are the most common usage, at least here in the US, easily applicable to cellar tracker, and, most importantly, everyone seems to understand how to respond to the question using those terms in an effective way.
Thanks for this Sarah. Sorry for the typo.
Claus

Riesling and Slate

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1657
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 9:22 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#49 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » June 15th, 2020, 10:14 am

Certainly in my breakdown above, where I used "trocken" as its own category, a wine labled "spätlese trocken" (which I think is true of all of the few trocken wines I have) was counted as "trocken" and not as "spätlese." I only counted traditional VDP off-dry wines in the kabinett, spätlese, and auslese categories.

User avatar
David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7862
Joined: August 16th, 2009, 6:03 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Your German riesling breakdown

#50 Post by David Glasser » June 16th, 2020, 9:10 pm

GG - 6%
Kabinett - 28%
Spatlese - 26%
Auslese - 32%
Eiswein/BA - 8%

Top producer by far is JJ Prum at 40%.
No one else is over 10%.

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”