Your German riesling breakdown

Reading the kabinett thread and folks conversations around their pradikat preferences got me wondering how people’s German riesling collections break down by ripeness?

Mine is:

Trocken/GG: 67
Feinherb/halbtrocken: 9
Kabinett: 100
Spatlese: 298
Auslese: 212
BA: 4
TBA: 4

I was surprised how auslese heavy mine has become - made me realize ive been drinking my kabi (especially) and spats at a much faster rate. Will have to work on that.

I love trocken/GGs. They constitute 95% of my Riesling breakdown.

The sheer quantity of German wine in my cellar would choke an army. It’s about 50% Spatlese, 20% Auslese, 15% Kabinett, and the rest divided between dry wines and dessert wines. Kabinett would be higher, but it gets drunk up very fast, except for the specific wines I try to age.

I’ve been drinking down my German wines. Down to about 10 cases from 20, with no plans to buy. I’m drinking less and less off-dry wine. For the price of many GGs, I’d rather buy Trimbach CFE (oh wait, that’s another thread…)

GG - 1 bottle (it was a gift)
Kabinett - 28
Spatlese - 92
Auslese - 4

Of those, 2/3 are from 2001-05 (no '03s).

auslese~40%
spatlese ~30%
kabi ~10%
dry ~20%

a lot of the auslese is in halves though

This is the Correct Answer [cheers.gif]

Very similar for me (I’m about 50/40/10, no dry for me), although sadly, I cannot get an entire army drunk. I could entertain a solid chunk of their wives and girlfriends, tho.

Let me know if you need help with your ausleses. Be on the next flight to ORD. :v:

GGs: 11%
Auslese: 42%
Spaetlese: 22%
Kabinett: 11%
BA: 8%
TBA: 4%
Eiswein: 2%

A lot of the Kabinett, Spätlese and Auslese in my cellar are bone dry…

I’m not keeping close track at the moment but roughly 80% K, 15% S, last 5% mixed A & BA + 1 Austrian '73 TBA!

Trocken/halbtrocken/Feinherb/GG - 1 bottle
Kabinett - 17% of my German wines
Spatlese - 42%
Auslese - 35% (24% of my Auslesen are GKA)
BA - 3%
TBA - 1%
Eiswein - 1%

By producer, 84% of my German wines come from 8 producers:

JJ Prum - 24%
Reinhold Haart - 13%
Zilliken - 13%
von Schubert 10%
Selbach - 9%
Schloss Lieser - 7%
Shaefer-Frohlich - 4%
Donnhoff - between 3 and 4%

I’ll be round shortly Howard! [wow.gif]

Come on by.

1/6 each dry and auslese
1/3 each kab and spat.

Drinking more dry lately (more a function of what we eat than a preference).

This is close. I couldn’t immediately think of a good way to screen for things like auslese trocken, so some things could be miscategorized or double counted, but it’s pretty close.

55% GG
7% Other dry
2% Feinherb
2% Halbtrocken
6% Kabinett
19% Spatlese
7% Auslese
1% Dessert
2% Sekt

Here’s mine:

Trocken (includes kabinett through auslese trocken): 23%
GG: 4%
Feinherb/Off-Dry: 2%
Kabinett: 23%
Spatlese: 23%
Auslese: 22%
BA: 1%
TBA: 0%
Eiswein: 1%

I’m pretty surprised about the relatively even split between trocken, kabinett, spatlese, and auslese. My goals in general have been to increase my trocken and kabinett holdings, which I tend to drink with more frequency. Need to look into the feinherb situation more as well.

I’m a bit of a sweet tooth (although, I love Rieslings of all kinds), so here is how my young collection is shaping up:

Dry: 7.5%
Kabinett: 9.4%
Spatlese: 20.3%
Auslese (including GKA and LGKA): 53.7%
Eiswein: 3.7%
BA: 7.5%
TBA: 1.9%

Oh and 1 bottle of 1984 Peter Lauer Saar Riesling Brut Reserve.

Honestly, I’d have more of the last three categories if they didn’t cost as much as they do.

Also, 25% of all wine I currently own is Riesling.

I am opening a lot more sweet than I had been the last couple of years, as my wife and I have gravitated to relatively spicy Indian food as a weekly staple. We rarely have a classic dinner of meat, veg and potato or any variation thereof these days. Now it’s all chickpea masala, masoor dal, the occasional Butter Chicken, etc.

Don’t have any Lauer Sekt at the moment, but they can be quite good. Probably as good as any sparkling wine I have had that is not from Champagne.

My collection is rather small, but here are the percentages

Dry: 2%
Kabinett: 8%
Spatlese: 35%
Auslese (including GKA and LGKA): 55%
Eiswein:0%
BA: 0%
TBA: 0%

I too have a bit of a sweet tooth and have just recently started. I have been concentrating on back filling the collection to start with 01, 05, 07, 09 mostly and auslese and spatlese. I will be filling the collection out and diversifying more in the future.