Bit of tasting notes fun!

Though I’ve dipped in and out of this great wine forum over the years I’m not a very regular contributor - just checked and my last post, before diving back in in the last few days, was around 5 - 6 years ago - gulp!

Without boring you with the details as to my long sabbatical, a new business & grandchildren have been a major factor - a great joy but, equally, when done, you hand them back to mum & dad!

Anyway, one of my favourite threads, of many, was one started by a guy called Jay S. Miller headed, ‘My take on scores’ dated January 14th 2012. It created great argument/debate, as to be expected, and went on for dozens of pages.

So I thought I’d post one of my favourite tasting notes and see how you’d score the wine - country, region, vineyard, grape, vintage and producer would all be a bonus - asking a lot of certain specific elements there but hey, have a punt as they say!

However, if this thing has been done to death tell me to shut up. Here goes:

‘Instantly impressed by the incredible clear, deep orange gold colour with a wonderful clarity of edge - always a good sign with a wine of this age. The nose full of great finesse and power at the same time - apricots, caramelised oily oranges, honey, warm exotic spices and yet still a hint of youthful BLANK buried deep within. The palate full, textured with glycerin and multi-dimensional flavours of oranges, ripe apricots, almonds, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg - just glorious and still an amazing freshness of acidity after 39 years - perfectly balanced. The finish all of the above and more - just keeps going on and on, whilst all the time melting into subtle new nuances of flavour. Some have suggested some BLANKS need drinking up now - maybe from certain BLANK VINEYARDS - not from the top BLANK VINEYARDS as this wine proves. Utterly beguiling and enchanting. A truly great wine from a very good producer and from one of the greatest BLANK vintages of all time. Oh for more BLANKS! Perfect now but would safely go on for another 5+ years easily.’

Finally, the crux - what would YOU have scored this wine had they been your notes?? [cheers.gif]

[rofl.gif]

If it were a Screaming Eagle cab, I’d give it a 50.

If it were a sauternes, a 70, based on the fact that the reviews thinks it could only survive another 5 years.

Actually, given the projected life span of 5 years, I’d wonder about the reviewer.

Given the language used to describe the experience, a 93, for sure.

Rich, welcome back. Are you starting to remember what it can be like here? But I’ll play straight. My wine tasting toolbox is not extensive and you know what they say about a man with a hammer seeing everything as a nail. But seriously, that complex flavor profile in the nose and taste, the age of the wine, and the color suggests a botrytised sweet wine. I’ll guess Tokaji Azu. I would give this wine a “score” of “highly recommended” based on the note and I would very much like to taste this wine.

P.S. Your recent posts suggest a Riesling focus., so maybe its an A or TB.

Cheers.

I forgot to guess the wine!

Navazos’ La Bota 79 ‘Bota NO’

Second guess, a Pedro Ximenez Light Sherry.

I think that’s a great guess.

Château-Grillet?

1982 Chateau d’Yquem.

Second choice would be a Tokay.

Thanks Jim - you’re on the right track! - need to let a few others have a go too before the reveal. To be honest asking for all of this is too much - “country, region, vineyard, grape, vintage and producer.”

As I’m sure you worked out, my real point was the disparity of consistent scoring whilst trying to remain objective/subjective. I had this discussion with my brother today and we talked of the myriad of things that can affect one’s scoring. I still think the 100 point system is the best of a bad bunch if people insist on wanting to know and compare - hate to admit it but Parker was right. However, after all these years tasting, notes & scoring all I want to do now is drink and sometimes write a note if the wine is deserving.

So there’s no tricks involved here bar curiosity.

Oh, and it’s still a mad house which I’m pleased to see! [pillow-fight.gif]

My last sentence could’ve been written more carefully looking back - in truth I meant 5 years++ eg 5 -10 and possibly longer. Personally, I believe the wine was at peak and that prolonging its opening would have been of no discernible gain in the long term.

Your last sentence also intrigues me - would you care to elucidate?

It was this:

1971 Clemens Freiherr Von Schorlemer Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Beerenauslese

Thought there was at least one good clue as to the grape variety but nobody picked up on it.